Accounting Cadetship 2008 (1 Viewer)

Only1United

HSC
Accounting Cadetships 2008

Welcome fellow students! The time is once again upon us to discuss this years cadetships that will be offered by the Big 4 accounting firms and many mid tier firms aswell. It provides an excellent opportunity for students to combine full time work and study which allows them to gain that extra step needed to succeed in this very competitive enviroment.

If you have any inquiries or questions please feel free to post them in this forum.

As a current cadet i am more then willing to provide any insight or relevent help for anyone interested in applying for a cadetship. I strongly recommend anyone interested in accounting/business to get involved. Please feel free to discuss what cadetships you may be interested in applying for and we can all help eachother to hopefully be successful.

Reach your goals sooner

You can also pm me and I'll get around to everyones questions with reasonable detail.
Good Luck

Last edited:

blakegman

HSC
N/A
How do these things work ?

im guessing that take commerce/business students majoring in accounting right ?

2nd or 3rd year ?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
yeah for cadet they prefer students to take a single commerce degree with a major in accounting, though there has been exceptions. they recruit year 12 students and you combine full time work with part time uni and then full time uni with part time work, depending on which firm you go to and what program they adopt

leoyh

mic`
HSC
so anyway, who's thinking of applying this year? If you are, what firms are you thinking about and what divisions?

Only1United

HSC
Hey leoyh, I'm assuming your in year 12 so what firms are you interested in applying for? and what divisions?. Many students tend to think a certain firm will not suit them but from my experience it seems that all firms small or big tend to be very similar in what they offer to trainees. I would even recommend potential cadets to even apply for a few mid tier firms as they can offer a more one on one experience where they can get to know all employees working at the firm. It is also easier to make an impression whereas working at a Big 4 firm can be harder as in many cases there are thousands of employees.
But in saying all that i would still prefer working at a Big 4 accounting firm (my biased opinion coming through lol) because you can work with the biggest companies not only in Australia but the whole world.

Only1United

HSC
blakegman said:
How do these things work ?

im guessing that take commerce/business students majoring in accounting right ?

2nd or 3rd year ?
That is the most common misconception students have blakgman, the cadetship starts during your first year at uni and according to which firm you apply for, you will either start working at the start of the year or mid way. You must apply for these cadetships during year 12. I'm not quite sure if the applications are open yet but they all close at around late June.

This might seem awfully obvious but I would like to stress also that its important that those who are applying for cadetships have a genuine interest and passion for business/accounting. This is important during the interview process as this is one of the main criteria's and any 'faking' is clearly evident. And make sure that your ready for some intense competition for places.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
Only1United said:
Hey leoyh, I'm assuming your in year 12 so what firms are you interested in applying for? and what divisions?. Many students tend to think a certain firm will not suit them but from my experience it seems that all firms small or big tend to be very similar in what they offer to trainees. I would even recommend potential cadets to even apply for a few mid tier firms as they can offer a more one on one experience where they can get to know all employees working at the firm. It is also easier to make an impression whereas working at a Big 4 firm can be harder as in many cases there are thousands of employees.
But in saying all that i would still prefer working at a Big 4 accounting firm (my biased opinion coming through lol) because you can work with the biggest companies not only in Australia but the whole world.
hey onlyunited, yes i'm a year 12 student and im thinking of applying for the big 4 + a whole bunch of mid-tier firms such as pitcher partners, moore stephens, BDO kendalls, grant thorton and a few more that i can't remember off the top of my head.

lol what you said is exactly right, how its more personal in a mid-tier firm, which is how ill suck em to them if i get an interview =P.

LOL, beforehand i always wanted to go for the Big 4 cause theres just so much scope for personal development cause they're so big and you deal with such large businesses across australia and the world, but now i dunno. any would be good for me really, but my bro (who works at pwc), says i should just go for the big 4 and if i don't get in, just go to uni and enjoy it instead of applying for a mid-tier firm. but i don't think so honestly, i'm quite interested in those mid-tier firms i mentioned above.

oh and division wise, ill be applying for audit, assurance and business services. thats what they call in at EY but i think most other firms just call it audit and assurance services. so yeah, that lol.

anyway, what firm and division are you working in? and what year uni are you in?

Only1United

HSC
Im working at PwC in Melbourne, under financial assurance (FA) which is mainly audit. At the end of the day the BIG 4 is the BIG 4 and they do give you unprecedented training that is taylor made to suit there own company. You are also working with the best professionals in the business and this can only be a good thing.

I was quite ignorant and only applied for PwC because in my eyes it's the best accounting firm (In "BRW Top 100 accouting firms" it was number 1-incase anyone wants any evidence lol) but i would recommend applying for all of them. Keep in mind that you cant apply for all of the mid tier firms, luckily for melbournians there are only 3-4 mid tier firms offering cadetships whilst in sydney there are 10-15 lol.

You cant buy experience, so i would like yourself be interested in even those mid tier accouting firm. Also keep in mind that these firms are still quite big.

Last edited:

The Thinker

"I can't get no sleep"
HSC
Hi there :)

I'm at the current stage of considering to apply for a cadetship. Is it still possible for me to still apply because i'm a first year at uni?

I'm studying b. economic and social sciences in sydney uni and planning to major in accounting and human resource management.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
i think they recruit first year uni students as cadets also. but it might be a different application to the year 12 cadets, but i know i've heard of recruitments for first year uni students

rania007

HSC
hello.
i heard that you can only choose a uni within sydney.
is that true?

boris2003

HSC
leoyh said:
i think they recruit first year uni students as cadets also. but it might be a different application to the year 12 cadets, but i know i've heard of recruitments for first year uni students
They do recruit 1st year students, but cadets are just for year 12

La Divina

maxin' and relaxin'
HSC
Well considering that most of the firms are located within Sydney CBD, and that you may have to go to uni after work, it's only natural that you go to a uni within Sydney. Though there are regional firms in NSW that have cadetship programs.

leoyh

mic`
HSC
rania007 said:
hello.
i heard that you can only choose a uni within sydney.
is that true?
basically, their cadetship programs require you to be studying Commerce at a uni pretty much. although its not clear on the restrictions, most firm limit you to UTS, Usyd, UNSW, and Macquarie

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Only1United said:
That is partially true, there are some firms outside the CBD offering cadetships but very few. Cadetships are mostly in the main cities such as Melbourne and Perth. Logistically it only makes sense that cadets can only go to uni in the city as it is easier to go to and from work to uni. So in other words if you live in a place such as newcastle you will have to think about going to a uni in the main city of your state. I hope that answers your question.
From memory there are some PwC Newcastle people on this forum (or were)- they attended the local university whilst working in the Newcastle office.

With most things in life, unis included, it's not so much the firm being picky but it's upto you to negotiate things. Typically the reason why it's not a default preferred university are either location (too far from the office), lack of flexibility in timetables (i.e. no evening sessions) or it's missing something vital (e.g. CA recognised degree). I know cadets who go to UWS, Notre Dame and Macquarie yet work in the Sydney CBD so it's not an issue.

Btw to the topic creator, kudos for starting a thread, but it does make me smile that you are relatively new and full of energy&life :) Would definitely recommend you reconsider letting the whole world know where you work and what division you're in or come application time, you end up with billions of PMs >_>

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
leoyh said:
Some firms do, and I think E&Y are the only one of the Big4 to do this (at least in Sydney). Typically the cadetship is targeted at those who are fresh out of high school (i.e. they are therefore looking at students in year12).

leoyh

mic`
HSC
the uni you really go to depends on whether they offer night sessions and what you and your firm prefer. the fact that its close to the office isn't really an issue if you're applying for audit and assurance because most of the time you'll be on clients so you won't be in the office too often i'd assume. whereas if you're applying for a tax cadet, then you'll be in the office more (according to my brother who works at pwc)

btw seremify, what firm do you work for and what division?

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Only1United said:
That is partially true, there are some firms outside the CBD offering cadetships but very few. Cadetships are mostly in the main cities such as Melbourne and Perth. Logistically it only makes sense that cadets can only go to uni in the city as it is easier to go to and from work to uni. So in other words if you live in a place such as newcastle you will have to think about going to a uni in the main city of your state. I hope that answers your question.
Firms such as PwC, Prosperity, Kutcher & Neale and Forsythes all offer good quality Cadetships in Newcastle. I know a few PwC cadets that do B.Com at UNCLE and they love it there.

Whilst its no Sydney, Newcastle has quite a few firms that consistently make the Top100, and its a bit of a fallacy to say that anybody who wanted an accounting Cadetship from Newcastle would have to relocate down south.

Last edited:

Only1United

HSC
hahah...yeh sorry i didnt realise there were any major firms in newcastle. i was just trying to pick a random town besides a capital city. Im a Melbourne boy soo please excuse my ignorance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)