Accounting Cadetship 2008 (2 Viewers)

michael1990

HSC
Only1United said:
michael 1990 and leoyh...seperated at birth:uhoh:
Yes i think we were, except i have a twin

so are we triplets that all want business cadetships?

roadcone

HSC
leoyh said:
LOL yeah i'm not a cadet but i'm aspiring to be one.

and btw, are you allowed to drop out of the cadetship a few weeks after it starts? i thought it was like a contract thing. i thought only the employer could fire you if you havent reached your probation period yet, but you werent allowed to quit.

any insight?

and in reply to iamfergo, i think approximately 500 go for this? and whereas for how many are taken, it depends on the size of the firm and the demand for the workers. i think the average for the big 4 is like 60 cadets, but thats across all divisions, not just the one that you're itnerested in

but in my opinion, much easier than fighting for a graduate job with the 7000 or so other applicants

you can decide to leave at any time within the probation period, generally if you are still in probation the notice required is fairly minimal. for example i know someone who notified his partner in the morning that he wanted to leave and he was gone by the end of the day. one thing to bare in mind is that you will have to pay back anything the firm has paid for (example text books etc) even if you leave during probation.

meagan354

HSC
yeaaa i agree! i REALLLLYYY want one too! what school do you guys all go to? and how awesome if we all got a cadetship together ahahahha =)

michael1990

HSC
meagan354 said:
yeaaa i agree! i REALLLLYYY want one too! what school do you guys all go to? and how awesome if we all got a cadetship together ahahahha =)
i go to Leumeah High and we would be competing against each other!

lol

but it would be mad, heaps mad if we all got it (in the same field)
lmao

iamfergo

HSC
ireally want one of these. make my life soooooo much easier:)

so wot division are u guys (and girls) going for?
im not sure yet ay. and anyone got a prference for which firm they would want to work at?

yennie B

HSC
its funny cos i dont study eco, or business and commerc ein prelims

BUT hey no loss .

and what do yo mean division??? site please!

iamfergo

HSC
as in tax, audit and assurance??

some call it field but hey. lol

bukwow

I am a Banana
HSC
lol man its that time of the year again...

i remember the time where i spammed the forums when i was excited about the cadetship lol...

although its not compulsory to go to the ICAA evening, it is recommended that you should go because you would either get to talk to the other cadets as well as getting a booklet of every firm offering cadetship positions.

and yeah usually the main question everyone asks is whether if you have to get 95+ uai to get a cadetship and the answer is no, i know lots of people who got uai's of 85-88 and still got in (i am one of them :D)

good luck!

Only1United

HSC
michael1990 said:
HA HA HA WE BAD ARSES!

lets hope we get the cadetships

does anyone know how many are offered?

i would LOVE LOVE LOVE to get one, a fantastic way to start and even end your career, there are so many avenues after that can be looked at.

The big 4 accouting firms offer around 50-60 cadetships each over all divisions in sydney which is pretty good considering in melbourne they only offer 20 cadetships each and our population isnt that much smaller. In sydney there are a shitload of mid tier firms 20-30 if i remember from last year and they all offer from around 5-10 cadetships each. Obviously you cant apply for all of the firms soo you really have to pick the one that best suits you because they all have interviews around the same time of the year.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
Hey!

yr 12 at Oatley Senior Campus.

nice to see all these ppl interested in cadetships! interesting that so many ppl know bout em. i only recently found out wat they r n why they r etc.

My question for those that know more than me (which is almost all of u, esp leoyh -- he seems to know a ton load of stuff bout cadetships.! lol) is this:

when we send our application, our most recent school report will be the half yearly, so does our half - yearly hav to be exceptional (marks wise), meaning do we hav to hav really good marks in half yearlies???? coz i really stuffed up my half yearlis, but i am expecting a uai of 90+ atleast! (hopefully - i know i can do it). Will my half yearly bagg me out of a cadetship?

also, wat r teh other criterii? ie leadership? sport? n to wat extent?

ALSO, how important is work experience? is working for the past 3 yrs in the family business enough?

thnx guys!

GOOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!! I HOPE ALL THOSE INTERESTEED GET WAT THEY WANT (incl me!)

meagan354

HSC
haiderr said:
Hey!

nice to see all these ppl interested in cadetships! interesting that so many ppl know bout em. i only recently found out wat they r n why they r etc.

My question for those that know more than me (which is almost all of u, esp leoyh -- he seems to know a ton load of stuff bout cadetships.! lol) is this:

when we send our application, our most recent school report will be the half yearly, so does our half - yearly hav to be exceptional (marks wise), meaning do we hav to hav really good marks in half yearlies???? coz i really stuffed up my half yearlis, but i am expecting a uai of 90+ atleast! (hopefully - i know i can do it). Will my half yearly bagg me out of a cadetship?

ALSO, how important is work experience? is working for the past 3 yrs in the family business enough?

thnx guys!

lol well to answer my own question i go to north sydney girls =)
hmm well i know that the program 'business cadetships' needed a minimum uai of 85 .. so if you're expecting over a 90, i think you should be fine =)

and yea for the other criteria stuff, they probably just want to see that we're not all nerds who spend all day in our house studying. so if you have a few leadership positions (or have had a few in the last few years), a few sports/music here and there, charities, etc, it will be all good =)

take care and good luck to everyone =)

btw im not sure what section i want to try out for .. havent thought about that yet, how bout everyone else?

leoyh

mic`
HSC
haiderr said:
Hey!

thnx guys!

from my knowledge, most firms look at year 11 and year 12 reports, and a uai estimate if you get one from your school (unless they're lazy and just wanna see the year 12 ones)

marks are important, but only make up a certain amount of their consideration. basically, you're marks just have to be sufficient to get you into uni i guess. it doesnt have to be like 99+ uai. cause the stuff they do isn't like rocket science, so they dont need those kinda genuises

as for activities, thats what they look for. like activities + skills really. so leadership, communication, teamwork etc. and you can say you have those skills by telling them which activities you did that represent those skills, which is what they do in hte interview - behavioural interview techniques

and lastly, work experience is always good. 3 years is great man dw! what is your family business though ?

Last edited:
U

urbanfashion-au

i wanted to a cadetship but i cant anymore T_T
1st yr grades were just... ><

Vagabond

Machine
HSC
fOR3V3RPINKKKK said:
if you think about it... assuming you have a 9 to 5 job plus a 2 hr lecture each arvo... your day would look something like this:

7:30 am - wake up, get ready for work
8:30 am - travel to work
9:00 am - start work
1hr break
5:00 pm - finish work, travel to uni
5:30 pm - uni
7:30 pm - go home
8:00 pm - arrive home... have dinner etc.

im not sure if this is the way a cadetship works but if it is then thats almost a 12 hr day!
A lot of cadets doing only 2 subjects usually cram all their uni in the one day. So they'll utilise a minimum of 4 hours uni leave, plus lunch break, to leave at 12, then have uni for 6 hours until whenever.

Then 9-5 rest of the week.

It's not that bad.. Making time for yourself to study is the real challenge.

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
leoyh said:
from my knowledge, most firms look at year 11 and year 12 reports, and a uai estimate if you get one from your school (unless they're lazy and just wanna see the year 12 ones)

marks are important, but only make up a certain amount of their consideration. basically, you're marks just have to be sufficient to get you into uni i guess. it doesnt have to be like 99+ uai. cause the stuff they do is like rocket science, so they dont need those kinda genuises

as for activities, thats what they look for. like activities + skills really. so leadership, communication, teamwork etc. and you can say you have those skills by telling them which activities you did that represent those skills, which is what they do in hte interview - behavioural interview techniques

and lastly, work experience is always good. 3 years is great man dw! what is your family business though ?
Hey leoyh!

family business = catering services (it will be 3 yrs for me this October, so 2 n a half yrs now). I didnt do W/Exp in yr 10 coz i was working here.

If they look at yr 11 marks then im stuffed, coz being in school leadership n all, i used it as an excuse for not studying, but ive pulled my sox up now n am acheivin much better (not as good as i cud but still)!

Wat school r u from? u do ext ext maths? thts amazing! how r u finding it? i read tht u wanna apply for many firms, but any firm in particular ur hoping to be a cadet of? n r u gonna go to the ICAA info nite (22nd May)?

haiderr

Goldn_i
HSC
meagan354 said:
lol well to answer my own question i go to north sydney girls =)
hmm well i know that the program 'business cadetships' needed a minimum uai of 85 .. so if you're expecting over a 90, i think you should be fine =)

and yea for the other criteria stuff, they probably just want to see that we're not all nerds who spend all day in our house studying. so if you have a few leadership positions (or have had a few in the last few years), a few sports/music here and there, charities, etc, it will be all good =)

take care and good luck to everyone =)

btw im not sure what section i want to try out for .. havent thought about that yet, how bout everyone else?
thnx for the info!

leoyh

mic`
HSC
haiderr said:
Hey leoyh!

family business = catering services (it will be 3 yrs for me this October, so 2 n a half yrs now). I didnt do W/Exp in yr 10 coz i was working here.

If they look at yr 11 marks then im stuffed, coz being in school leadership n all, i used it as an excuse for not studying, but ive pulled my sox up now n am acheivin much better (not as good as i cud but still)!

Wat school r u from? u do ext ext maths? thts amazing! how r u finding it? i read tht u wanna apply for many firms, but any firm in particular ur hoping to be a cadet of? n r u gonna go to the ICAA info nite (22nd May)?
hey there. yeah catering services is really good i think. you can talk about how you did customer service and it taught you certain skills like building good relations with customers, meeting their demands to the best of your ability etc.

dw too much about your marks it isn't that important compared to your skills and stuff but obviously you can't be a complete dumbarse lol! a good blend of both is the best

i go to sefton high school. yourself? ext 2 maths atm is okay we're into the 3rd topic so its still manageable atm, it only gets crazy when it hits the really hard topics. what subjects do you do?

ICAA info nite, i'm not sure if im going yet, or to any firms information nights for that matter, though i will try and go cause i hear its beneficial. and for which firms im gonna apply for, it'll be the big 4 and a bunch of mid-tier firms. i'm not too sure really. yourself? hopefully it works out and i get one!

roadcone

HSC
don't stress too much about work experience. the only 'job' i had ever had was refereeing soccer, i got a cadetship. i can assure you from interviewing for cadets last year we look much more for someone who has a range of experiences as opposed to someone who has a job that is related to the field or is studying their head off. in saying that, it can't hurt - but just don't get fixated on it.

venom69r

HSC
leoyh vbmenu_register("postmenu_3328427", true);
= mike leungy?? ahaha..sup bro

haids here =]]

go ICAA info night man..its pretty essential in terms of knowing all the firms that give out cadetships..but then if ur only gonna apply for big 4..i guess no biggie

leoyh

mic`
HSC
rofl haider. didnt know you went on this forum

does ICAA cover the firms that offer cadetships for accounting only or like other fields like business and that too? and do you have to rsvp?

i think im gonna go cause its like near the end of may and not much is on then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)