Actuarial at MACQ with Merit Scholarship (12k/yr+) vs Actuarial at NSW (1 Viewer)

omni16

HSC
For any future actuarial students, which would you pick and why?

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Actuarial @MQ with Merit Scholarship because it is the same thing as the UNSW one

zhiying

HSC
No difference in the degrees themselves but if you have the merit scholarship in the bag and you don't have anything of the equivalent at UNSW (e.g. Scientia or Co-op), go Macq. (I do actuarial at UNSW)

emilios

HSC
Thinking about this as well. I had my heart set on UNSW, but upon finding out about the Merit Scholarship.. idk

omni16

HSC
You can't triple major at Macquarie though :/ as far as I know. I want to do actuarial science, pure maths and finance but doubt that's possible at macq.

bosanon95

HSC
N/A
Since you're a merit scholar at macquarie, then go to macquarie as your opportunities will be in par with ppl at unsw coop and you'll be better off than being a normal uni student at unsw.

mreditor16

HSC
Since you're a merit scholar at macquarie, then go to macquarie as your opportunities will be in par with ppl at unsw coop and you'll be better off than being a normal uni student at unsw.
I would not go as far as saying that the opportunities as a merit scholar are on par with co-op.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Macquarie has historically had a stronger reputation in this space so with a scholarship on top, it's a no brainer for me.

mreditor16

HSC
Macquarie has historically had a stronger reputation in this space so with a scholarship on top, it's a no brainer for me.
seremify, if you had to choose from b actuarial with b comm at unsw versus b actuarial with b applied finance at macq,

which one would you choose?

mreditor16

HSC
macq. assuming i wanted to be an actuary or in the field.
but b comm is so much more versatile than b app finance, imo.

anyway, a few years ago, I interviewed head actuary and ceo of Australia division and the graduate recruiter who as a team conduct interviews for actuarial graduate-entry roles at Zurich financial services, and they all told me that the time when macq was treated as superior by employers and recruiters has largely passed and that nowadays actuarial graduates from both unsw and macq are treated equally in the recruitment process.

but that's the perspective I heard from inside only one leading company that is constantly employing actuarial graduates....

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I planning to move into acturial. No idea what you guys are talking about

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)