Actuarial Studies vs Commerce Degrees? (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
More employment opportunities?

Commerce. Because there's like 10 majors to pick from instead of 1.

HSC
Uni Grad
More employment opportunities?

Commerce. Because there's like 10 majors to pick from instead of 1.
More employment positions available for actuarial students. Actuarial students have a better chance of getting into finance related jobs, for example.

But then again, if you're going to do actuarial, also pick a second major in case.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
"More employment positions available for actuarial students"?

no

That's just incorrect. Actuarial students can work in what... finance and actuarial?

Commerce students can work in finance or economics or management...

There, three fields at least instead of two.

john-doe

HSC
commerce degrees offer more employment opportunities imo..but i think when actuaries get a job, they clearly out pay the people doing commerce. am i right or wrong?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Depends.

If you graduate with Accounting and get a good paying job - you might earn more.

HSC
Uni Grad
"More employment positions available for actuarial students"?

no

That's just incorrect. Actuarial students can work in what... finance and actuarial?

Commerce students can work in finance or economics or management...

There, three fields at least instead of two.
What I meant was that the number of places available for actuarial students is higher. Employment for actuarial graduates is higher compared with employment for commerce students (except accounting). Not only that, actuarial students can also work in management too, given that, arguably, they would be perceived to have better qualitative skills than other commerce graduates. But then again that's not the only factor out there, ofc, teamwork, leadership and all that matters too.

Yes, commerce students can work in those fields, but what's the employability rate for commerce students working in those fields? Compared with actuarial, it's actually quite low.

YoYoWayne

HSC
Uni Grad
More employment positions available for actuarial students. Actuarial students have a better chance of getting into finance related jobs, for example.

But then again, if you're going to do actuarial, also pick a second major in case.
That's what I heard from the information night as well O.O

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
What I meant was that the number of places available for actuarial students is higher. Employment for actuarial graduates is higher compared with employment for commerce students (except accounting). Not only that, actuarial students can also work in management too, given that, arguably, they would be perceived to have better qualitative skills than other commerce graduates. But then again that's not the only factor out there, ofc, teamwork, leadership and all that matters too.

Yes, commerce students can work in those fields, but what's the employability rate for commerce students working in those fields? Compared with actuarial, it's actually quite low.
I don't think so. Actuarial students can work in a very narrow field - actuarial and finance, pretty much. Maybe economics.

What are some of the other majors in Commerce - human resource management, accounting, marketing, etc. etc.

Employment percentages don't mean much - the point here is that Actuarial students are really only made for actuarial studies. Commerce allows you to do much more and you have much more scope with what you can pick, so it stands to reason that you have more employment opportunities.

Yes, there are some areas in Commerce where Actuarial people can take jobs too - like finance. But that's pretty much it.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

Very arguable for finance and management requires leadership and communication skills and leadership not qualitative skills and actuaries are usually socially retarded number crunchers.

Not to mention the fact that it is almost impossible to get a job as an actuary unless you're on a HD WAM or something.

HSC
Uni Grad
That's what I heard from the information night as well O.O
Actuaries learn a lot of qualitative skills that most finance graduates do not possess. I was told this. In actuarial subjects, far more critical thinking is required (heck, my ACTL1001 assignment is so fucking hard idk what the hell I have to do) compared with finance related subjects.

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think so. Actuarial students can work in a very narrow field - actuarial and finance, pretty much. Maybe economics.

What are some of the other majors in Commerce - human resource management, accounting, marketing, etc. etc.

Employment percentages don't mean much - the point here is that Actuarial students are really only made for actuarial studies. Commerce allows you to do much more and you have much more scope with what you can pick, so it stands to reason that you have more employment opportunities.

Yes, there are some areas in Commerce where Actuarial people can take jobs too - like finance. But that's pretty much it.
Ahh okay, well as for opportunities, yes there are more in commerce. But the point is, out of those opportunities, what's the probability of you landing a job in a commerce related field, compared with actuarial? I believe not as high.

So in commerce, you have more possibilities in working in different fields, but its much harder to land a job. Whereas for actuarial graduates, they have less fields for employment, but a higher possibility of landing a job.

Very arguable for finance and management requires leadership and communication skills and leadership not qualitative skills and actuaries are usually socially retarded number crunchers.

Not to mention the fact that it is almost impossible to get a job as an actuary unless you're on a HD WAM or something.
They still need qualitative skills to solve such problems. And that being said, qualitative skills aren't the only thing out (as I said before).

And yeah, you won't get a job as an actuary without a HD. But you will however, have opportunities to work in other fields like finance and management.

Anyway, to OP, if you want more career possibilities, choose a commerce degree instead. But then you will really have to stand out to land employment (so you'll need good grades, networking, extras and all that).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)