Actuarial Studies vs Engineering (1 Viewer)

zhiying

HSC
It's okay, about 200 start the course in first year, right now I'm in 3rd year we got about 120 left

zhiying

HSC
Depends on how you define drop out rate, I'd say half couldn't get the marks and left, but some repeat the course so they become the cohort beneath me, and the other half just decided they didn't like actuarial that much and changed to something else. I've changed my degree twice by now (not the actuarial part though)

Actuarial is not for everyone, but no harm trying it out since a lot of credits can be transferred

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
Depends on how you define drop out rate, I'd say half couldn't get the marks and left, but some repeat the course so they become the cohort beneath me, and the other half just decided they didn't like actuarial that much and changed to something else. I've changed my degree twice by now (not the actuarial part though)

Actuarial is not for everyone, but no harm trying it out since a lot of credits can be transferred
wow; something to think about OP.

if op decides to do actuary at UNSW then change to engineering MATH1151; with transfer and the other courses will count as gen eds (assuming single degree)

would like to hear what 402585188641..... thinks [don't know his actual username]

emilios

HSC
Yeah I'll think I'll go with Actuarial/Science. I know it'll be difficult but I think I've developed good study habits (4-5 hrs per night consistent) and have the aptitude for the course. If I decide it's not for me, then no harm done, engineering it is. I really couldn't see myself doing much else.

Edit: Also, all subjects 90+ so far (English adv, 3U, 4U, chem phys eco) and predicted ATAR is 99+. Definitely will not be slacking off.

zhiying

HSC
You're going to need those good study habits if you wanna succeed in actuarial, pays off though imo.

If you wanna know more here's my society's website, got some useful stuff on it http://asoc.unsw.edu.au/

zhiying

HSC

if op decides to do actuary at UNSW then change to engineering MATH1151; with transfer and the other courses will count as gen eds (assuming single degree)

would like to hear what 402585188641..... thinks [don't know his actual username]
Sure I'll grab him for you, mates irl

HSC
Uni Grad

Ah yes, I did actuarial in my first year. Personally didn't really like it (well actuarial wasn't great but commerce was the worst of them all. Plus I considered myself to be a pretty average person (or slightly below avg) and that it's hard for average people like me to get an actuarial job. With my shitty wam at the time, I figured that I'd end up working in retail or doing masters of some other degree anyway (and probably not making a grad job just because it's that competitive already). So seeing as that was the case, I transferred out. Ended up doing petroleum engineering and it's going fine so far apart from a few courses (PTRL2010 for example).

Anyway, as for doing MATH1151/1251 and transferring - those will be credited because it's a harder equivalent of MATH1131/1141/1231/1241 anyway. And yes, other subjects will count as gen-eds. However, if you're doing petroleum engineering and if you've done MGMT1001 and ECON1101 - they will count as professional electives and thus you don't need to select extra professional electives (although other subjects can still count as gen-eds).

to the OP: What stream of engineering are you thinking of doing?

emilios

HSC
at least OP isn't thinking of doing arts
Don't understand all the arts hate on here. It's not something I'd consider doing, but not every degree has to lead straight into a vocation.

@4028.... was thinking of Mechanical. I know the mulah is in Petroleum and Mining but honestly ceebs moving, would rather stay here and have an enjoyable life.

emilios

HSC
Ah yes, I did actuarial in my first year. Personally didn't really like it (well actuarial wasn't great but commerce was the worst of them all. Plus I considered myself to be a pretty average person (or slightly below avg) and that it's hard for average people like me to get an actuarial job. With my shitty wam at the time, I figured that I'd end up working in retail or doing masters of some other degree anyway (and probably not making a grad job just because it's that competitive already). So seeing as that was the case, I transferred out. Ended up doing petroleum engineering and it's going fine so far apart from a few courses (PTRL2010 for example).

Anyway, as for doing MATH1151/1251 and transferring - those will be credited because it's a harder equivalent of MATH1131/1141/1231/1241 anyway. And yes, other subjects will count as gen-eds. However, if you're doing petroleum engineering and if you've done MGMT1001 and ECON1101 - they will count as professional electives and thus you don't need to select extra professional electives (although other subjects can still count as gen-eds).

to the OP: What stream of engineering are you thinking of doing?
May I ask, specifically what was it about actuarial that you didn't like? Was it not what you expected? Lots of people expect it to be mostly maths but its a business orientated degree in the end.

zhiying

HSC
There is one first year actuarial course that is a bit weird, not as mathy as you'd expect. That has changed this year onwards with a new lecturer though.

HSC
Uni Grad
May I ask, specifically what was it about actuarial that you didn't like? Was it not what you expected? Lots of people expect it to be mostly maths but its a business orientated degree in the end.
It was too much of a businessy thingo but in which I wanted to learn a technical degree. Plus I was competing with 98 and 99ers so I had like no competition (B commerce is meant to be easy but its so hard to do well because of the competition).

That's why I figured I would go and learn something technical, whilst I'll develop all of the communication and interpersonal skills and what not through societies and work experience. That way I can probably still get into not just engineering fields, but business fields as well (Iirc I've been told that a lot of petroleum engineering grads work in finance and business fields too)

Don't understand all the arts hate on here. It's not something I'd consider doing, but not every degree has to lead straight into a vocation.

@4028.... was thinking of Mechanical. I know the mulah is in Petroleum and Mining but honestly ceebs moving, would rather stay here and have an enjoyable life.
Ah mechanical. That there is a lot of competition but it seems pretty interesting. Give it a try. You could even get into oil and gas companies + lots of other places because mechanical engineers are needed in a lot of projects. :)
Lots of jobs for mechanical but the competition is larger compared with that of mining and petroleum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)