Actuarial Studies (1 Viewer)

enak101

HSC
Hey BOS, seems like a few years ago there was a massive increase in the amount of people wanting to do Actuarial Studies, not sure about now.

Anyway. I know that it's very math intense with probability and statistics in mind, only problem is, I do 2U Math at school, currently in year 11. I hear people saying you need these glorious marks in 3U & 4U just to think of doing it which is probably a bit of hyperbole but still scares me. I like math, I'm 'good' at math but not great, It's just that I like Probability and Statistics a lot :spin:.

So, is 3U/4U a requirement just to get into AS/Commerce(AS) at Uni? That would be MACQ or UNSW of course. I'm okay at maths, like probability, haven't done ext math in HS. Can I do math alongside with AS as a double degree, or am I just stuck since I haven't and couldn't have done 3U (By couldn't of, I mean my school didn't run it due to numbers)

The other option is Science(Physics) I suppose.

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey BOS, seems like a few years ago there was a massive increase in the amount of people wanting to do Actuarial Studies, not sure about now.

Anyway. I know that it's very math intense with probability and statistics in mind, only problem is, I do 2U Math at school, currently in year 11. I hear people saying you need these glorious marks in 3U & 4U just to think of doing it which is probably a bit of hyperbole but still scares me. I like math, I'm 'good' at math but not great, It's just that I like Probability and Statistics a lot :spin:.

So, is 3U/4U a requirement just to get into AS/Commerce(AS) at Uni? That would be MACQ or UNSW of course. I'm okay at maths, like probability, haven't done ext math in HS. Can I do math alongside with AS as a double degree, or am I just stuck since I haven't and couldn't have done 3U (By couldn't of, I mean my school didn't run it due to numbers)

The other option is Science(Physics) I suppose.
Well at UNSW, the programs have changed such that 4U maths is assumed knowledge for those doing actuarial studies. So if you are only doing 2U maths, make sure you study 3U probability as well (that is assumed knowledge).

But as for maths, 3U is assumed knowledge, and almost everything in 3U is carried onto 1st year maths.

Tbh, you don't really need glorious marks in 3U and 4U, all you need is perhaps a band 6 in 2U maths, including the thinking skills to tackle problem solving Qs. Actuarial studies doesn't tend to use a lot of maths (that we currently use), and a lot of the maths content there is generally new anyway.

enak101

HSC
So If I focus hard on 2U math and study 3U probability in my own time I should be good to understand all the new stuff and lectures and not get stuck on the basics?

HSC
Uni Grad
So If I focus hard on 2U math and study 3U probability in my own time I should be good to understand all the new stuff and lectures and not get stuck on the basics?
Most likely. Then there's other bits of 3U you MAY have to study, depending on whether or not they completely change the courses. Actuarial at UNSW itself is changing for next year's cohort, so I'm not sure tbh.

It is of your best interest to study almost everything in 3U (except motion ofc) in your spare time, since you get the skills in 3U to answer a lot of the Qs available in 1st year...

HSC
Uni Grad
Just checked, MQs actuarial studies has MX1 and a result of E4 for entry into their actuarial studies program. So I doubt you'll be able to gain entry into Macquarie. UNSW is your only hope as of now, treating 4U only as assumed knowledge. However, the cut-off is expected to be 98+.

More info of UNSW's program here:

http://www.educators.unsw.edu.au/app/webroot/uploads/file/Bachelor of Actuarial Studies 2013.pdf

And with MQs

http://courses.mq.edu.au/undergraduate/degree/bachelor-of-actuarial-studies

Last edited:

enak101

HSC
But majoring in actuarial studies with a bachelor of commerce is still viable right? I mean to get into the institute and all of that stuff? Because it doesn't look good for getting into Bachelor of Actuarial Studies :p

HSC
Uni Grad
But majoring in actuarial studies with a bachelor of commerce is still viable right? I mean to get into the institute and all of that stuff? Because it doesn't look good for getting into Bachelor of Actuarial Studies :p
Not anymore, at UNSW they got rid of actuarial studies as a major for those commencing in 2013 :/

Shit move I know, but then again what can you do?

enak101

HSC
Not anymore, at UNSW they got rid of actuarial studies as a major for those commencing in 2013 :/

Shit move I know, but then again what can you do?
So basically, nothing unless I get a super high ATAR for UNSW Actuarial Studies, too bad. Physics it is then, I guess.

HSC
Uni Grad
So basically, nothing unless I get a super high ATAR for UNSW Actuarial Studies, too bad. Physics it is then, I guess.
Physics is pretty hard too, but then again if you're planning to go down that path, learn almost everything in 3U. Learn some 4U stuff as well, like mechanics. It'll really help for 1st year physics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)