Advanced engineering (1 Viewer)

samwell

HSC
Is anybody interested in doing it?
What is involved?

samwell

HSC
yeh apparently but it only enrols by invitation. like high acheivers in HSC but they should maintain their high standards once in uni

doink

Clone
HSC
you have to defer some first year subjects till later so you can do a project that gets you very little recognition, dropped this shit after 2 weeks, cbf doing first year subjects second year for no reason.

Its for those who get 98 UAI and over doesn't matter which discipline of engineering. This year it was about a wind generator.... boring.

counterman

HSC
What are the pros and cons of doing advanced engineering ? Seems a tad complicated .

adgala

HSC
counterman said:
What are the pros and cons of doing advanced engineering ? Seems a tad complicated .
pros:

-you meet other engo people from different disciplines
-you get to do stuff that gives you a different perspective on engineering
-you end up with an "Advanced Engineering" degree after doing 3 extra subjects

cons:

-you have to overload
-have to maintain a distinction average in order to get into the next subject

adnan91

HSC
doesnt seem to appealing.

off topic: im probably gonna do civil/ commerce at usyd is there ANYWAY i can do random subjects like chemistry or anatomy from the faculty of science or will doing a combined degree leave me with no extra electives

akukei

HSC
Does anyone know if Andanced Engineering will provide any sort of worthwhile opportunities later on?

I'm considering taking up my invitation, however especially with a combined degree i'm not sure it will be worth the extra effort..

counterman

HSC
Also, I heard that if you undertake the Advanced Engineering program, Macquarie Banks hires the all the undergraduates in the 2nd year ? Can anyone confirm that ?

Yep, does Advanced Engineering offer any benefits later on ?

КГБ

Banned
HSC
i dropped this after 1 week. couldnt stand the poofs around me. it was so fucking awkward having a conversation with them.

КГБ

Banned
HSC
what was wrong with them ?
have you watched 21? bunch of science geeks making robots and shit. when i first met a bunch of these fools, they asked me what im into...and im like cricket, sport, PC etc etc...and im like what are you into....and they start speaking of all these computer gadget machines and fucking quatam physics and science projects. just fucking poofy.

you talk to them and they are spitting at you, you try and be nice to them and they think your teasing them. it was just weird.

akukei

HSC
Well this year's project does sound kind of fun. Building a car.. haha. Although, not related at all to my course...

For anyone who hasn't seen it already:

The Advanced Engineering class of 2009 will build an electric car.

This is going to be an ultralight vehicle with a motor on each wheel. It will be powered with the new lightweight lithium ion batteries.
The whole class will work on this one challenging project.

Teams will be devoted to each section. One team will find and fit the motors, another the seats. A third team will build the chassis with surfboard foam and carbon fibre. There will also be a team dedicated to support and coordination. This team will be writing, taking pictures, buying parts and making sure the whole project hangs together and stays on time.

This project will be an incredible race against time but it will show what a talented group of young engineers can achieve in twenty weeks.

Do you want to come on a technical adventure?

[link]
I think i will try this just to see if it is any good, so there will be one normal girl there...

Does anyone else know anything about opportunities available from participating?

Last edited:

counterman

HSC
Hmm. . building a car . Do we have to buy the parts with our money ? =\

Hang on, does it go for a semester only ?

LOL, quantum physics and gadget machines ! That's a good one ! That would be a bit weird..

akukei

HSC
I'm not sure, but i would assume the costs would be covered by the uni.

Or maybe it's one of those subjects where 'students may incur material costs'...

And i'm pretty sure it is just for one semester, then if you do well enough you can take advanced engineering in the subsequent years of your course.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Advanced engineering I think you typically buy things, turn the receipts in to the university, and they reimburse you.

akukei

HSC
So, should I just take it up then drop it if I don't like it ?
That's my plan, seeing as it means you won't regret not trying it.

Although, i'm still waiting on advice from someone concerning taking it with a combined degree, seeing as the handbook says anyone doing b eng/ b arch should 'seek advice' before they enrol in adv endineering. Has anyone else spoken to the uni about this? I'm concerned they won't get back to me before enrolment...

КГБ

Banned
HSC
take it up for a month of so and see how it goes. if you dont like it you can always drop it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)