Advanced English Essay Writing Guide (2 Viewers)

hp73

HSC
This is amazing! Why don't they teach us all this in school?! THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

daboom69

HSC
Re: Advanced English essay writing guide, 2nd edition

listen to your teacher mate.

techlog

HSC
This Guide has much needed detail but would this be suitable for someone like me in Year 10? I mean, I seriously need to up my game in English since I'm in borderline passing and that clearly isn't enough for what my planned future is of what I intended it to be so could someone simple it down or link me another guide more year 10 friendly?

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
If you employ these tips in Year 10 English you would own English

WileyWanimal

HSC
Approximately how many body paragraphs do you recommend writing? In 40 mins it seems that if I plan for 4 then I only get time to write 3 anyway - so is it better to have 3 well-written, in-depth paragraphs and skip a lesser point which otherwise would have been it's own paragraph?
Thanks so much for this fantastic guide! :)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Approximately how many body paragraphs do you recommend writing? In 40 mins it seems that if I plan for 4 then I only get time to write 3 anyway - so is it better to have 3 well-written, in-depth paragraphs and skip a lesser point which otherwise would have been it's own paragraph?
Thanks so much for this fantastic guide! :)
If you have two texts to discuss, it is always recommended to have 4 body paragraphs-2 main points, idea 1-text 1, text 2, idea 2-text 1, text 2. You just need to practice to make sure you are writing faster and more concise, relevant paragraphs. For three texts, you should have three main body paragraphs with three main ideas-just focus on balanced discussion of texts:)

WileyWanimal

HSC
If you have two texts to discuss, it is always recommended to have 4 body paragraphs-2 main points, idea 1-text 1, text 2, idea 2-text 1, text 2. You just need to practice to make sure you are writing faster and more concise, relevant paragraphs. For three texts, you should have three main body paragraphs with three main ideas-just focus on balanced discussion of texts:)
Thanks, but considering that in every module except module A one text is only an ORT, does this not put too much emphasis on the ORT? Also, I don't know that I can really condense everything I have to say into two main points! The essay plan my teacher gave out had 6 body paragraphs - and that was with the ORT synthesised into each paragraph!! But I know I need to cut down from that - she just can't bear to miss telling us something we could include.

And by the way strawberrye, how come you only seem to have 8 units in your signature?

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks, but considering that in every module except module A one text is only an ORT, does this not put too much emphasis on the ORT? Also, I don't know that I can really condense everything I have to say into two main points! The essay plan my teacher gave out had 6 body paragraphs - and that was with the ORT synthesised into each paragraph!! But I know I need to cut down from that - she just can't bear to miss telling us something we could include.

And by the way strawberrye, how come you only seem to have 8 units in your signature?
What do you mean by the ORT? Remember, to maximise your marks for an essay question, you need to be able to demonstrate your ability to select the MOST RELEVANT information to include for the question, not have a memory dump of everything you know about the texts to answer the question, remember, RELEVANCE of information is more important than the BREATH of information.

The reason why I have 8 units is because previously some BOSers had their signatures cut short, so I wasn't sure whether that was going to happen to me, and I now can't be bothered to put up the marks for my other 4 units:)

GlovePuppet

HSC
I was getting C grade marks all year for my essays (horrible decline considering I was top 5 last year). I discovered this in the final term and used it for my Module C essay... All I can say is that I wished I'd discovered this earlier. I got an A grade mark for my essay and the teacher was extremely impressed. I've shown all of my friends and class mates this forum and they too felt that it's something that should've been taught as apart of the curriculum.

Also loved re-reading all of the little remarks in the post.

Paper 1 tomorrow.
I've planned out my structure using this tried and tested method.
Absolutely recommend this to everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)