advanced maths or general? (1 Viewer)

kazziiee

class of 2010 : )
HSC
i choice advanced maths to try to boost my uai;
but im not really understanding the work..

is it better to struggle and stay in advanced and get i few points on my uai?
or drop to general and get great bands and good uai?

ideas or thoughts?

thanks..

Last edited:

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Marks and ranks please.

If possible, try and find out what mark the person who had your rank last year got :)

Usually, you're better off staying in advanced math though...

pillar

HSC
it depends if you think (preferably KNOW) that you can score considerably higher in general

duckcowhybrid

HSC
If you're failing Advanced you'll fail General. They're compeltely different. Stick with Avanced. If you want to do General maths, just don't do maths.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
If you think you will go better in general, do general. Have a look at the work they've done so far, talk to the teachers, see if you think youd be able to catch up.
2U's good scaling will only affect you if you DO WELL in the subject. If you dont do well, like under the half way mark in rankings then the rest of your cohort will drag you down and the scaling will be negative. If you do WELL in general, the 'bad scaling', will not affect you. Its better to do well in gen than bad in 2U.

Are you doing enough work at home? I know it sounds stupid, but really, just doing homework helps so much. I bought a really basic book called 'Accellerated Maths Learning' -Yr 11 2U, and just worked through everything from scratch, took time to write notes etc, just to make sure I knew all the foundations before we started the new stuff. It really helped and I went from being at the bottom to getting 95% on my last exam :) Also have you heard of 'maths online'? There are lessons on there where a guy just talked you through all the topics.. I find it really helpful. I'm not a natural maths person either, but I bet if you just worked really hard, start from the bottom up you'll be sweet in 2u :)

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Did you do the 5.3 advanced course in year 9 & 10?
The general course is pretty much what you learn in the 5.3 course plus a little bit more, so there won't be much of a problem there, but it is very different to what you learn in the advanced course.
I wish i could drop down to general but my parents won't let me :(
My stupid dad is convinced that getting an 80 is general is worse than getting a 40 in advanced ( i was like...wtf?)
i wish there was some way to convince him..

HSC
If you're failing Advanced you'll fail General. They're compeltely different. Stick with Avanced. If you want to do General maths, just don't do maths.
nah.

A General 80 HSC Mark = 73 2U Maths (2005). Scaling wise, the difference would be marginal as oppossed to the piss easiness of General in comparison with 2U

kazziiee

class of 2010 : )
HSC
Did you do the 5.3 advanced course in year 9 & 10?
The general course is pretty much what you learn in the 5.3 course plus a little bit more, so there won't be much of a problem there, but it is very different to what you learn in the advanced course.
I wish i could drop down to general but my parents won't let me :(
My stupid dad is convinced that getting an 80 is general is worse than getting a 40 in advanced ( i was like...wtf?)
i wish there was some way to convince him..

i flat out told mum i was thinking of it and im going to do whats in my best interest.
she wants me to stay.
i dont want the stress.
so ill just see how things go when half yearly comes back.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
lol 2U Maths doesn't have stress. Try 3U or 4U for stress. All subjects scale down bar a few. Even 2U Maths scales down. But, if you're getting 80 in 2U it's unlikely you'll get 90 in General, and it's piss poor scaling really hurts it. Even in the high 90s, General Maths scales to about 85ish. If are failing 2U, you'll probably fail General. honestly, if you can't do 2U, don't do Maths at all. Do something else. General is a crappy subject, and there are much better ways of achieving a high UAI than General. If you need Maths for a subject the minimum you'll need is 2U. Just don't do General. Do 2U, or nothing at all.

pillar

HSC
lol 2U Maths doesn't have stress. Try 3U or 4U for stress. All subjects scale down bar a few. Even 2U Maths scales down. But, if you're getting 80 in 2U it's unlikely you'll get 90 in General, and it's piss poor scaling really hurts it. Even in the high 90s, General Maths scales to about 85ish. If are failing 2U, you'll probably fail General. honestly, if you can't do 2U, don't do Maths at all. Do something else. General is a crappy subject, and there are much better ways of achieving a high UAI than General. If you need Maths for a subject the minimum you'll need is 2U. Just don't do General. Do 2U, or nothing at all.
unfortunately I'd have to mostly agree with this, a lot of people in my year (so far) have dropped to General as they see some of the work and think they'll instantly do HEAPS better, whereas actually they only end up getting slightly better marks.

However there are some people that just don't get 2U at all, don't really understand what the questions are asking them to do, and once they do drop to General they actually improve quite a bit. General really isn't going to help if you're after high UAI I suppose, so if you are looking for the high UAI probs keep 2U or just drop Maths altogether. Again, depends on the person though and you'll know best.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I'd stick with 2 unit and work on improving. The general course content is way different to the 2 unit course. I think you'd fall behind if you dropped to general. In addition, General Maths would be way harder than 2 unit as the structure of General exams makes General questions less predictable than 2 unit.

In Conclusion, stick with 2 unit :D

random-1005

Banned
HSC
i choice advanced maths to try to boost my uai;
but im not really understanding the work..

is it better to struggle and stay in advanced and get i few points on my uai?
or drop to general and get great bands and good uai?

ideas or thoughts?

thanks..

HAHA "advanced", no its 2 unit, calling it advanced makes it seem like its hard, which it isnt.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
If you think you will go better in general, do general. Have a look at the work they've done so far, talk to the teachers, see if you think youd be able to catch up.
2U's good scaling will only affect you if you DO WELL in the subject. If you dont do well, like under the half way mark in rankings then the rest of your cohort will drag you down and the scaling will be negative. If you do WELL in general, the 'bad scaling', will not affect you. Its better to do well in gen than bad in 2U.

Are you doing enough work at home? I know it sounds stupid, but really, just doing homework helps so much. I bought a really basic book called 'Accellerated Maths Learning' -Yr 11 2U, and just worked through everything from scratch, took time to write notes etc, just to make sure I knew all the foundations before we started the new stuff. It really helped and I went from being at the bottom to getting 95% on my last exam :) Also have you heard of 'maths online'? There are lessons on there where a guy just talked you through all the topics.. I find it really helpful. I'm not a natural maths person either, but I bet if you just worked really hard, start from the bottom up you'll be sweet in 2u :)
lol had 4 yrs to do it, general is like a complete revision of yr7-10, with slightly harder questions

2u doesnt scale very well, or it shouldnt, its so easy

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
Do 2u till the end of year 11, and see how you go.
If you don;t do well then, drop down to general, and you will have an advantage over the others :D

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Go for 2 unit first and then go down to general if necessary

spazamataz

HSC
I was in the same boat as you, i'm regretting not dropping to general.
ATM im band 3ing it :S im hoping to just rip that page out of my report lol. But i'm doing twelve units so it won't impact on my UAI, and i'm doing well in all my other subjects.

Jaylee42003

HSC
Do 2u till the end of year 11, and see how you go.
If you don;t do well then, drop down to general, and you will have an advantage over the others :D
Yeah, that's what I'd recommend..Although, I didn't wait until end of yr 11 (obviously hehe), and I dropped after week four :) Made my life so much easier :D And now I'm topping General :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)