advanced maths or general? (1 Viewer)

kazziiee

class of 2010 : )
HSC
well i got my mark back today.
&it honestly was nothing but embarrassing.

so its down to general for me.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
What courses in uni require General Maths? I think most need 2 unit.

I Study Hard

HSC
Not 2U maths.
They require 2 units OF maths.
General Maths is 2 units of maths.

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
I want to do a business degree when I leave school, and pretty much all of the courses have an assumed knowledge of mathematics..
The problem is that I'm doing so badly in 2 unit at the moment and I find it really hard to keep up with my class, as I always have to finish the work that we did in class that I didn't manage to get to for homework PLUS the other homework that she sets us.
For my last assessment, I got 39% - the median in my grade (all the extension, 2 unit and accelerated) was 75% - and my mark was the lowest by about 20% in the class.

I would have dropped to general by now, but the only thing that's stopping me is that I'm concerned about whether not doing 2 unit maths will affect what I want to pursue after I leave school.
Any suggestions?

joseph123

HSC
I want to do a business degree when I leave school, and pretty much all of the courses have an assumed knowledge of mathematics..
The problem is that I'm doing so badly in 2 unit at the moment and I find it really hard to keep up with my class, as I always have to finish the work that we did in class that I didn't manage to get to for homework PLUS the other homework that she sets us.
For my last assessment, I got 39% - the median in my grade (all the extension, 2 unit and accelerated) was 75% - and my mark was the lowest by about 20% in the class.

I would have dropped to general by now, but the only thing that's stopping me is that I'm concerned about whether not doing 2 unit maths will affect what I want to pursue after I leave school.
Any suggestions?
wow... u know I am in EXACTLY the same predicament as you, looking to do a business course at uni (part of a combined law degree) but failing 2U maths badly. I am really considering dropping down to general (perhaps in the next week or so), but im a little worried about the 2U maths assumed knowledge requirement.

i guess they have options like bridging courses which i'm looking into, but i'de STRONGLY reccommend you take up at least 12 units for year 12 to make sure general maths doesnt contribute to ur UAI.

HSC
Assumed =/= Required

A lot of people do fine in business degrees with General Maths

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
wow... u know I am in EXACTLY the same predicament as you, looking to do a business course at uni (part of a combined law degree) but failing 2U maths badly. I am really considering dropping down to general (perhaps in the next week or so), but im a little worried about the 2U maths assumed knowledge requirement.

i guess they have options like bridging courses which i'm looking into, but i'de STRONGLY reccommend you take up at least 12 units for year 12 to make sure general maths doesnt contribute to ur UAI.
why do you think that?
i'm not worried that i'm going to do really badly in general maths, because i've looked through the text books and its basically what i've been doing in year 9 & 10. and doing 12 units is not a problem since its a requirement at my school to do 12 units for the HSC anyhow.
plus they only assume that you've done mathematics, its not actually a requirement, so i can still get in the course if my UAI is high enough - but then i probably would have to take a bridging course.

joseph123

HSC
why do you think that?
i'm not worried that i'm going to do really badly in general maths, because i've looked through the text books and its basically what i've been doing in year 9 & 10. and doing 12 units is not a problem since its a requirement at my school to do 12 units for the HSC anyhow.
plus they only assume that you've done mathematics, its not actually a requirement, so i can still get in the course if my UAI is high enough - but then i probably would have to take a bridging course.
Its not about what mark your expecting to get, its the way the subject scales. Even if you do very well in general maths, the scaled mark which contributes to the "scaled agregate" (which determines your UAI) is about five points lower than 2U (this is at the 90% mark, the gap increases if you get lower). It ultimately depends on your circumstances, but i'de reccommend you take up 12 units as a safegard to prevent it from dragging your UAI down. Thats what i intend to do next year when i drop 2U, (and also to protect my uai if my 4U English major work goes horribly wrong :)).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)