advanced science or normal science. (1 Viewer)

lisa_xo

HSC
whats the difference? i can choose harder majors?
ultimately i want to become a vet. i just missed out on vet science, and got way over animal bioscience so i personally think its pointless doing that.
i can get into advanced science, would that mean i have a greater chance at first year transfer due to the higher demands of the course?
what should i do!!!!!!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
In Advanced Science there are options for extra majors, and majors that can be taken at a higher level of difficulty so that you are challenged. If your ATAR was above 99, then you will qualify for the Talented Students Program (TSP) in which you'll be able to participate in research projects and have individual mentoring.

The Advanced course would be worth your while, and if you think it's too demanding, just drop back to the regular BSc.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
In Advanced Science there are options for extra majors, and majors that can be taken at a higher level of difficulty so that you are challenged. If your ATAR was above 99, then you will qualify for the Talented Students Program (TSP) in which you'll be able to participate in research projects and have individual mentoring.

The Advanced course would be worth your while, and if you think it's too demanding, just drop back to the regular BSc.
Agreed. Take advanced (and say hi to me one day on campus!) and drop down to normal science if you ceeebs =)

lisa_xo

HSC

ohh im way off 99!!
and thats my worry! i know it will sound bitchy but i dont want to do normal science, i worked hard to get an alright atar and normal science is like a 80. know what i mean?

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Dammit iSplicer! B Sc (Adv) was my first preference! I could've met and worshipped you and the ground you walked on... =P

Ah well, hopefully university doesn't suck for you. Apparently Sydney is quite bad according to the Good Universities Guide, but who knows.

To the OP, yes - Advanced is good because it'll make you take harder and more challenging material which should test your academic limits.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Good Universities Guide 2011.

I'm not kidding unfortunately, O Supreme One.

Here are some stats (some of them are useful, some of them aren't)

Medicine at Sydney (Camperdown): 1210 undergrad students, 193 from abroad, 22% from school, 45% over 25 years old, 1% studying part time, 38% from a non-English speaking background. Graduates say teaching quality, generic skills and overall satisfaction are 'average'. Four months after graduating, 29% of graduates were seeking a job (worse, according to the GUG), and 80% went to work in the public sector while 74% went on to further study. No data on starting salaries.

Science at Sydney (Camperdown): 4622 undergrad students, 378 from abroad, 91% from school, 5% are over 25, 9% are studying part-time and 46% are from a non-English speaking background. Graduates say teaching quality, generic skills and overall satisfaction are 'average' (their responses in the CEQ showed this, comparatively to other universities). 34% were seeking work after 4 months (average), with 59% going to further study, 26% going to work in the public sector, 15% to private practice, 48% privately, 3% abroad - and the starting salary is $48 258 which is average.

For Sydney overall:

Status and Standing - non-government earnings (top 40%), student demand, research grants and intensitivity (top 20%)
Education Experience - teaching quality, graduate satisfaction (bottom, top 100%), staff qualifications, generic skills (top 60%), staff-student ratios (top 40%)
Graduate Outcomes - getting a job (top 80%), positive graduate outcomes (top 60%), graduate starting salary (top 20%)
Getting In - Toughness (top 20%), Entry flexibility (bottom, top 100%)
Who's there - Indigenous participation (top 60%), access by equity groups (top 80%), international enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance (top 20%)

Otherwise: www.gooduniguide.com.au

EDIT: A note that in the Good Uni Guide, 5 star means top 20% of universities and similar institutions, 4 stars means top 40%, 3 stars means top 60%, 2 stars means top 80% and 1 star means bottom 20%.

lisa_xo

HSC

Medicine at Sydney (Camperdown): 1210 undergrad students, 193 from abroad, 22% from school, 45% over 25 years old, 1% studying part time, 38% from a non-English speaking background. Graduates say teaching quality, generic skills and overall satisfaction are 'average'. Four months after graduating, 29% of graduates were seeking a job (worse, according to the GUG), and 80% went to work in the public sector while 74% went on to further study. No data on starting salaries.

Science at Sydney (Camperdown): 4622 undergrad students, 378 from abroad, 91% from school, 5% are over 25, 9% are studying part-time and 46% are from a non-English speaking background. Graduates say teaching quality, generic skills and overall satisfaction are 'average' (their responses in the CEQ showed this, comparatively to other universities). 34% were seeking work after 4 months (average), with 59% going to further study, 26% going to work in the public sector, 15% to private practice, 48% privately, 3% abroad - and the starting salary is $48 258 which is average.

For Sydney overall:

Status and Standing - non-government earnings (top 40%), student demand, research grants and intensitivity (top 20%)
Education Experience - teaching quality, graduate satisfaction (bottom, top 100%), staff qualifications, generic skills (top 60%), staff-student ratios (top 40%)
Graduate Outcomes - getting a job (top 80%), positive graduate outcomes (top 60%), graduate starting salary (top 20%)
Who's there - Indigenous participation (top 60%), access by equity groups (top 80%), international enrolments, cultural diversity, gender balance (top 20%)

EDIT: A note that in the Good Uni Guide, 5 star means top 20% of universities and similar institutions, 4 stars means top 40%, 3 stars means top 60%, 2 stars means top 80% and 1 star means bottom 20%.
i think im going to pretend i didnt read that.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You have three days to change your preferences you know. It's not too late.

I also had the dilemma of whether to do Science at UNSW or Sydney and that guide tipped the scales for me.

Besides lisa, if you do pretend that - you're abandoning all that thought you learned in all your sciences about valid data, reliability and all that stuff... <_<

lisa_xo

HSC
Besides lisa, if you do pretend that - you're abandoning all that thought you learned in all your sciences about valid data, reliability and all that stuff... <_<
that actually made me cringe.
but syd was my choice cause its the only uni (besides wagga wagga) offering vet science.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
HSC is cringe-worthy anyway.

Still, hopefully university doesn't suck for you. Be the shining light that brings change for the better!

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad

For Sydney overall:

DON'T LISTEN TO HIM LISA! THE DEVIL HAS TAKEN THE FORM OF A UNIVERSITIES GUIDE! ARGHHHH AVERT YOUR EYES LISA! IM NOT LISTENINGGG!!!

LOL dude, why do you keep addressing me such lmaoo

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, here's some real data, not compiled by a bunch of hipsters behind a typewriter on a whim:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_universities_in_Australia

National Rank University World Rank
1 Australian National University 17
2 University of Sydney 36
3 University of Melbourne 36
4 University of Queensland 41
5 Monash University 45
6 University of New South Wales 47
7 University of Adelaide 81
8 University of Western Australia 84

http://www.australian-universities.com/rankings/
University* Aus Rank (World Rank)
Australian National University (ANU) 1 (59)
University of Melbourne 2 (62)
University of Sydney 3 (92)

lisa_xo

HSC
this will sound stupid. i swear im kinda smart.
is ANU good? i thought it sucked!!! i just turned down a scholarship there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
ANU is Australia's Best University according to Times Magazine.

And iSplicer, O Glorious Beacon of Academia, the Good Uni Guide is derived from Course Questionnaires by graduates of degrees themselves and the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace in conjunction with Graduate Careers Australia who administer the CEQ.

That's pretty definitive, in my opinion.

Also, you're a 99.95 student and so you get the nicknames =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)