Advanced Science (1 Viewer)

rosemcc

HSC
So I just read on another thread that for the BSc(adv) that you don't have a required amount of first year credits that need to be advanced. Is this true? It looked like you had to have 24cp in first year on the usyd website. I understand that 12cp of 2nd year and 24cp of 3rd year need to be advanced (in one subject area to get the advanced major).
That being said, if I enrolled in standard maths, chem, psych, and bio units in first year, would I be fine with coping with say, advanced anatomy or pharmacology units in second year?
Thanks heaps :)

HSC
It is true that there isn't any obligation in first year to do Adv units.

Obvious

HSC
Uni Grad
No, you don't need to do any advanced units in first year but it's definitely advised.

I'm not sure about pharmacology, but you should be fine for biology related units.

study-freak

Bored of
HSC
So I just read on another thread that for the BSc(adv) that you don't have a required amount of first year credits that need to be advanced. Is this true? It looked like you had to have 24cp in first year on the usyd website. I understand that 12cp of 2nd year and 24cp of 3rd year need to be advanced (in one subject area to get the advanced major).
That being said, if I enrolled in standard maths, chem, psych, and bio units in first year, would I be fine with coping with say, advanced anatomy or pharmacology units in second year?
Thanks heaps :)
You're right that there is no obligation to do more than the stated number of cps of adv units, but why not just do all adv if you can?
Frankly speaking, adv units aren't much harder at all and you get better scaling and adv students are given higher priority with resources in some courses. Also, you get to have labs together with people in adv course if you do adv and this means you prob won't have any retard in your group (helps a lot when you have to do group assignments).

In terms of bio, adv and normal are pretty much the same except for a report you'd need to write for adv so it doesn't really matter which one you choose in first year, if you don't mind the higher probability of having a bad lab group. Psych doesn't have adv and so doesn't 2nd year pharmacology (but D avg in PCOL2011 & 2012 req for 3rd year adv PCOL units).

In terms of chem, I only did SSP so can't comment on normal, I guess. But for MATH, if you just want to go easy, you can do normal but normal is quite (almost too) easy, if you already have a solid maths background.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)