Advanced to standard english (1 Viewer)

Gryffindor

HSC
Okay so I am contemplating moving into standard english once year 12 begins (next term). I have a few questions and if anyone can provide some insight it would be much appreciated:

Is the analysis generally easier? I find particularly with Shakespeare, the texts themselves and the analysis to be quite complex and time consuming.

I've read that the aligning sucks, but why is that so?

Are there certain characteristics of standard and advanced in regards to HSC module C? (ie. I noticed that standard english has had an image prompt in the past, whereas advanced has not. However, this could be attributed to the fact that there's only been two papers since the syllabus change?)

hiiitsme

HSC
don't move, still expected to do the same amount of work as advanced imo but marked slightly easier. If you are going because you want to relax, as it seems through your question "is the analysis generally easier?" I would stay in advanced because the drop to standard is more about ability than workload

Gryffindor

HSC
don't move, still expected to do the same amount of work as advanced imo but marked slightly easier. If you are going because you want to relax, as it seems through your question "is the analysis generally easier?" I would stay in advanced because the drop to standard is more about ability than workload
I agree with the easier marking in standard, at my school anyway. I want to take your word for the similar workloads, but last term the assignment for standard was to make a slideshow on a podcast, whilst our assignment was to create a website, write a creative, write a film review and make a 'text trailer'. I was so envious 😭

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I feel your pain on a whole another level but from what I've seen, the difficulty level is quite the same in terms of essay-writing, it seems there's no real advantage to dropping to standard except its less strict? My teacher said the difficulty for Std and Adv are relatively the same, its just that you go a bit more in depth with Adv and you have to be analytical but other than that there's no real difference. It also seems that people who do English Advanced just perform way better and all that scaling stuff- I would stick to adv but if you're persistent, you should drop down and maybe you can focus more on your other subjects.

Gryffindor

HSC
For our English classes. Advanced and standard write essays for all assessments, except standard has it on simpler topics.
We get pushed hard in standard, almost hard to believe it’s English standard.
Apparently advanced does 5 essays, whilst standard does 3. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Either way if your strengths are humanities then stick with advanced. If your a stem student then stick with standard
I think the standard classes at my school are kind of ranked and so one class get's pushed really hard, whilst the others not so much.
Do you mean in the HSC exam advanced has to write 5 essays or as assessment tasks?

Gryffindor

HSC
I feel your pain on a whole another level but from what I've seen, the difficulty level is quite the same in terms of essay-writing, it seems there's no real advantage to dropping to standard except its less strict? My teacher said the difficulty for Std and Adv are relatively the same, its just that you go a bit more in depth with Adv and you have to be analytical but other than that there's no real difference. It also seems that people who do English Advanced just perform way better and all that scaling stuff- I would stick to adv but if you're persistent, you should drop down and maybe you can focus more on your other subjects.
Yeah that's definitely the case at my school in that the vast majority of those in english advanced generally perform better than the standard cohort, however, that's not to say everyone in standard doesn't do well. Allocating more time to other subjects was one of my points of reasoning to move to standard, but given that you and many others say the level of difficulty in writing is similar, I probably wouldn't save much time.

dasfas

HSC
For our English classes. Advanced and standard write essays for all assessments, except standard has it on simpler topics.
We get pushed hard in standard, almost hard to believe it’s English standard.
Apparently advanced does 5 essays, whilst standard does 3. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Either way if your strengths are humanities then stick with advanced. If your a stem student then stick with standard
If you can handle advanced, definitely go for it. You are pretty heavily punished with regards to scaling if you do standard. Also I disagree that stem is mutually exclusive with being good at humanities. Being a good communicator in stem is probably the most important soft skills to have.

dasfas

HSC
The communication in bio and English are completely different things.
You need to communicate scientifically in bio, such as through a depth study.
In English it’s just a bunch of waffle,
I used to feel the same frustration with english but I was lucky that my year 12 teacher really helped change my perspective.

English, when well executed, is the polar opposite of waffling. Essays are persuasive texts, where clarity is king.

There will be wankers who prattle on about the "seguing nexus" or some other bullshit, but in my experience, the strong english writers (90+) will have a very very clear logic and structure to their essay. You cannot be persuasive if you waffle on about bullshit. Additionally, while it may seem like everyone is trying to regurgitate the thesaurus when writing an essay, I assure you that english teachers are not impressed by it.

With regards to science, again, clarity is king. You want to actively avoid complicated sentences, and communicate as clearly as possible to your readers. The goal is to persuade them of the significance of your research and hope that they would eventually cite your work. Waffling on is counterproductive as you will likely lose the interest of your readers.

So ultimately, STEM and English are not that far apart Both are persuasive where clarity is key. I have found that my essay writing has greatly helped in my ability to write research papers.

There's a reason why you get taught paragraph structures such as PETAL and PEEL. This is to signpost your answer. Topic sentences aren't some devlish invention by english teachers to dock you marks if you forget them - try having a conversation with someone but not introducing the topic before you launch into a discussion. See if they can follow. Most likely they cannot, hence why having structure and hence clarity is key.

dasfas

HSC
Across paper 1 and 2, adv only does 3 essays too.
To elaborate, Paper 1 is an essay on the common module, and short text analysis

Paper 2 is 2 essays on module A and module B. You also have 1 creative on module C, which may/may not be accompanied by a reflective task.

Gryffindor

HSC
You are pretty heavily punished with regards to scaling if you do standard.
You'll be doing the same amount of work for less scaled marks.
I have gotten low As on both the assessments I've done so far for english adv (yet to do final one), if I were to get similar or slightly higher marks in standard would it goes as far as to get scaled/aligned down or just stay the same?

dasfas

HSC
I have gotten low As on both the assessments I've done so far for english adv (yet to do final one), if I were to get similar or slightly higher marks in standard would it goes as far as to get scaled/aligned down or just stay the same?
Scaled down

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)