Advanced Unit Enrollment (1 Viewer)

casebash

HSC
What advanced science units are people enrolled in?

1st Semester:
MATH 1906 Math SSP (although i'm not enrolled I automatically get an invite because i'm in science(advance maths).
MATH 1902 Linear Algebra (Advanced)
PHYS 1901 Physics 1A (Advanced)
SOFT 1901 Software Development (Adv)
INFO 1003 Foundations of Information Tech (adv)

2nd Semester:
MATH 1907 Math SSP
MATH 1904 Discreet mathematics (Advanced)
MATH 1905 Statistics (Advanced)
PHYS 1902 Physics 1B (Advanced)
SOFT 1902 Software Development (Adv)
COSC 1901 Computational Science in Matlab (Adv)

Tabanacle

HSC
i'm not in adv science but a word of advice, DO NOT do software at usyd unless u REALLY like programming or have done it before (don't know about COSC though). they pretty much just throw u in the deep end and let u figure every thing out.

just a warning

LostAuzzie

HSC
I'm doing Advanced Science and I'm Enrolled in:

1st Semester:
CHEM1901 - Chemistry 1A (Adv)
PHYS1901 - Physics 1A (Adv)
INFO1903 - Introduction to Information Tech (Adv)
MATH1001 - Differential Calculus
MATH1002 - Linear Algebra
2nd Semester:
CHEM1902 - Chemistry 1B (Adv)
PHYS1902 - Physics 1B (Adv)
PHYS1500 - Astronomy
MATH1003 - Integral Calculus & Modelling
MATH1005 - Statistics

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
i did hear rumours that programming is hell'ish in usyd...

A

adamsaclown

not really. People who don't listen to lecturers do struggle though. If you're doing software development though, you should be looking forward to programming. The lecturers explain things pretty well, I think its those with a BIT of programming experience in say Visual Basic who come in thinking they knowing everything that struggle because of the Object Oriented programming they teach.

So I don't think people who haven't programmed before are disadvantaged. Maybe in Advanced, yes. But if you're doing Advanced Software you're pretty much either:
1) smart enough and interested enough to pick it up
OR
2) have prior experience.

so no, you won't have problems with it.

tennille

HSC
LostAuzzie said:
I'm doing Advanced Science and I'm Enrolled in:

1st Semester:
CHEM1901 - Chemistry 1A (Adv)
PHYS1901 - Physics 1A (Adv)
INFO1903 - Introduction to Information Tech (Adv)
MATH1001 - Differential Calculus
MATH1002 - Linear Algebra
2nd Semester:
CHEM1902 - Chemistry 1B (Adv)
PHYS1902 - Physics 1B (Adv)
PHYS1500 - Astronomy
MATH1003 - Integral Calculus & Modelling
MATH1005 - Statistics
I was a little disappointed in astronomy. The only interesting thing was writing an essay on General Relativity. Also note that astronomy will scale you down a bit (it mentioned it on the course info website).

Vampire

KOLLARZUP!!
HSC
does anyone know where the information on the scaling of each unit is? Just want to compare adv and normal and fundamentals...thx

LoneShadow

Uber Procrastinator
HSC
N/A
adamsaclown said:
not really. People who don't listen to lecturers do struggle though. If you're doing software development though, you should be looking forward to programming. The lecturers explain things pretty well, I think its those with a BIT of programming experience in say Visual Basic who come in thinking they knowing everything that struggle because of the Object Oriented programming they teach.

So I don't think people who haven't programmed before are disadvantaged. Maybe in Advanced, yes. But if you're doing Advanced Software you're pretty much either:
1) smart enough and interested enough to pick it up
OR
2) have prior experience.

so no, you won't have problems with it.

I'd have to say the SOFT1901 had the crapest lecturer ever: Dr Wang, he was an associate lecturer and his accent was so thick that I barely understood 5% of what he said. Josiah wasn't much better either.

Besides, when writing on the white board with a marker that could barely make a visible line, Wan forgot to turn on the lights. So not many, especially those at the back of lecture theatre, could see what he was writing. I'm not going to say anything about his crap hand writing.

But knowing a non OOP language may confuse you, but not greately.

Tabanacle

HSC
i second what loneshadow said. i couldn't understand most of what went on.

my experience: in soft1001 there were so many ppl that had prior programming experience that he just skipped the easy stuff (well left it to the lecture notes) and then did hard complicated stuff (well hard for someone with no programming experience) and the project is just pure HELL, (unless u're lucky and u get in a group with a genious programmer who does everything for u)

A

adamsaclown

ah well I guess thats the consensus then.

I actually thought Josiah was very good. and Dr. Wang, well he was hard to understand verbally because of his accent, but I honestly didn't think it was hard to follow what he was going on about.

Honestly I think if you're interested in it enough to keep up with the lectures, ask your tutor for help, and consult the textbook when you don't understand something, its not that bad.

In my tute group (SOFT1001) it was the people who skipped lectures and bummed around in tutes that struggled.

We did have a very good tutor though.

The Intergrator

HSC
I'm Enrolled in...

1st Semester

Math 1902 Linear Algebra (Adv)
Math 1901 Differntial Calculus (Adv)
Phys 1901 Physics 1A (Adv)
Info 1903 Foundations of Information Technology
Soft 1001 Software Development 1

2nd Semester
Math 1903 Integral Calculus and ling (Adv)
Math 1904 Discrete Mathematics (Adv)
Phys 1902 Physics 1B (Adv)
Soft 1002 Software Development 2
Cosc 1002 Computational Science in C
Cosc 1001 Computational Science in Matlab

casebash

HSC
Wow, almost the same enrolment as me - except for a few missing advanced and computational science in c instead of statistics.

Anyway, software development doesn't look too hard - in the course description they call recursion an advanced concept!!

Thanks for the warning Tarbancle, but don't worry about me. I was in the Australian International Olympiad in Informatics team.

lfc_reds2003

lemme see here
Sem1
Phys Adv
CHem Adv
Both maths adv
Concepts in bio haha

Sem2
Same cept not discrete maths...
and shud be human bio adv..

Oh and TSP..who knows what that entails

tennille

HSC
This is for all the previous 2nd yearers. How hard is STAT2911? I'm currently enrolled in the normal one, but I got credit for MATH1005 and MATH1003, which makes me eligible to enrol in advanced. The last thing I want to happen, though, is that I won't be able to cope with it.

Thanks in advance.

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Personally, I believe you will get a much better mark doing adv and feel that you failed everything rather than cruising in normal.

And it's stats...enough said.

nit

HSC
yeh how does 2911 compare to 1905 for stats? who's the lecturer? better not be raimondo

Templar

P vs NP
HSC
Robinson is a good lecturer. Definitely not the same boat as Raimondo/Quine/Phipps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)