Advice about changing degree / dropping course? (1 Viewer)

hobowoman

HSC
N/A
I'm in my first year of B.Comm/B.Sci right now, doing ACCT 1501, ECON 1101, MGMT1001 and COMP 1911. I'm doing fine in the three commerce subjects, but I'm not handling computing well. I'm thinking of either changing to straight Commerce, or to Commerce (Liberal Studies). Also thinking of dropping COMP 1911 for this semester, but I don't really know how all this stuff works, so -- help/advise please?

If I drop COMP 1911 for this semester, would it just be wiped from my academic history? I don't think I can get anything better than a pass/credit in it (if I even manage to pass) and I don't want it to drag my WAM down. Also, are there any fees that I'll have to pay upfront, or would it all be covered by HECS? And if I don't drop COMP but change my degree, would COMP1911 count as a gen-ed course?

I'm enrolled in ACCT 1511, ECON 1203, LEGT 1710 and MATH 1131 for next semester. ACCT 1511 and LEGT 1710 are flexible cores for Comm (Lib S) but the other two aren't.

So yeah, Y/N on dropping computing, and is there anything I should know / problems I might run into if I want to change my degree?

dizzlemizzle

HSC
I don't know about changing degrees, but for dropping COMP 1911 both the financial and academic penalty census date passed long ago. So if you drop it now you'll receive a fail for it, it will appear on your academic record and you will have to pay for it through HECS if you applied for HECS-HELP. So I'd say just try your best with the subject and hope for a good mark :)

TheStallion

HSC
Changing your whole sci degree just because of one subject? Lolno, don't do it. What sci major were you looking at doing anyway?

twistedrebel

HSC
-cant drop it now, and the govt has already added fees to your account

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If you want to change your degree, you're better off keeping Computing - or else a big "Fail" will be recorded against you and your WAM will die and you need a good WAM to transfer.

So you have to try your best in computing.

D94

HSC
N/A
If you have extenuating circumstances, there is a form you can fill out, which if successful, it won't show as a fail (iirc).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)