Advice from a graduated VA student on how to ace your VA theory exams (1 Viewer)

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Hi strawberrye,

I was wondering if you could still apply the postmodern frame (i.e subverting conventions as norwegianwood stated above) to artists working prior to the postmodern period, even back to the 19th century i.e Edouard Manet?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi strawberrye,

I was wondering if you could still apply the postmodern frame (i.e subverting conventions as norwegianwood stated above) to artists working prior to the postmodern period, even back to the 19th century i.e Edouard Manet?
Yes, you can apply the postmodern frame, but they are not 'postmodern artists' in the sense as we understand postmodern artists to be artists whose work is in the recent 30 years.

Erique

Writ in water
HSC
Hey again,

Just finished my VA exam. Would markers penalise you excessively if you, in the heat of the moment, failed to explicitly mention form i.e "installation", "mixed media", right before the title just as you would when identifying a text in English? I have no idea why I forgot, but my description of the artworks alluded to its form ughhhhh

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey again,

Just finished my VA exam. Would markers penalise you excessively if you, in the heat of the moment, failed to explicitly mention form i.e "installation", "mixed media", right before the title just as you would when identifying a text in English? I have no idea why I forgot, but my description of the artworks alluded to its form ughhhhh
I think you are over-worrying yourself, markers are marking under a very strict time limit, and hence they actually don't read through every single word of the answer, more often, they are more like scanning over answers looking for key points, so I don't think you will be penalised heavily at all in failing to mention the form, if you are actually penalised at all. Calm down, but it also depends on the question, if the question was specifically relate to its form, you might at most lost a mark depending on how many marks the question was and how lenient the marker feels in following the marking criteria-because the marking criteria does allow some element of personal discretion. For now, just enjoy this well deserved holidays and you will come to see it will have very little influence, if anything, on your final marks as you know your HSC marks in mid December:)

StudyToDeath

HSC
Hi, I've got my art half yearlies coming up.
How much should I be expected to write for each response?
Eg. A 4, 9, 12 and 25 mark question

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I've got my art half yearlies coming up.
How much should I be expected to write for each response?
Eg. A 4, 9, 12 and 25 mark question
It is more of a matter of answering the question rather than writing as much as you can. It is very hard to suggest how much you should write since I don't know the spacing between your writing and your writing font size. For me, I wrote around 10 words per line, and at that sort of density, I tend to write 4-5 lines for 2-3 mark question, it is very hard to give you a definitive response though, but the 25 mark-aim for around the length of an average Advanced English essay.

StudyToDeath

HSC
Thank you, the test went well :) now the suspense of waiting for the results

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
If you have any questions related to visual arts, feel free to ask:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)