Advice please on whether to drop 2U Maths to General or not (2010 HSC NSW) (1 Viewer)

apple pancake

HSC
I ended up oing advanced maths for the hsc. I wish now that i had dropped down to general. I could have spent soooooo much more time on more important subjects. My advice would be to drop it. You'll get a higher atar and hsc mark if you do:jaw:

Believe159

HSC
Two of my friends dropped to general maths today. we only have a week till our first HSC exam. If you really feel like you should drop to general then try doing the preliminary general math exit exam. ask for a copy from your teacher and complete the exam as if you were actually sitting for that subject. Compare your marks to the advanced paper and if you do heaps better then try dropping. If you don't really need general for what you want to do after Yr12 then why are you carrying this load!!!!!

nhoustonrocks

HSC
Uni Grad
Is that 40 out of 50 or 40 or 50 out of 100? Also in your HSC that 95 isn't gonna show up as a 95. Even if on your Record of Achievement it says 95 that's gonna work out to like 80. Each to his own I guess.
Oh right, I meant 40-50%.

gracee09

HSC
i started off yr 11 in maths and dropped to general after about 2 months...i really didn't enjoy the subject and wasn't get good marks even though i worked my ass off in it....general is awesome though :D

cherii2007

HSC
A few of my friends were getting 40s-50s and maybe even lower than that, and they weren't happy...so they dropped. They love maths now. They're topping the whole grade (for General Maths). I don't know what marks they get though...probably 80s.

It boils down to this: If you're not willing to put in MORE effort to get into the 80s+ mark range, maybe get a maths tutor, practice, practice, practice...and you really hate your subject for whatever reason you have, drop. However, if you want to keep fighting and ARE willing to improve and really buckle down, then I believe you can improve enough to get a decent mark in the HSC. However, it depends on your work load, what subjects you do, whether doing mathematics is required for what you want to do (or what you might want to do), etc.

Our teachers told us that if you didn't get atleast 50% for the yearlies then you should drop down, because then if anything you'll get 70% MAX for HSC or something like that.

If you're really concerned and feel like giving up on the Mathematics course, change to General. It'll be pretty easy for you to top the grade if you weren't even failing Mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)