Advice pleasE! What course should I choose? (1 Viewer)

Estel

Tutor
HSC
natstar said:
let me reinstate for the 23789174837th time that i nor anyone said that UWS is equal to USYD
natstar said:
I said that all graduates will be on the same level and situation when looking for a job.
Then what are you saying?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
U can not rank uni's its impossible. Every course in each uni is different. UWS is great ... name another uni where u could have the opportunity to do wine making???

U can not compare one course in syd with another course in UWS cause there will be major differences in what is taught and how it is taught.

We should be glad that many ppl have the opportunity to go to uni and get a further education!!!

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
lol id like to know that too! and erm from where im standing im winning cos i dont need to call people superficial...and yes all good, howd this get so bitchy? I swear Melbs actaully a nice guy! Well atleast when hes not reducing you to a cleaner lol. And dear i have a HD average to, so please stop saying how great your GPA currently is, your not alone! And it in no way is relevant to any of what is transpiring here!

and erm it is possible to rank unis as i believe this thread has established, just its sorta impossible to come up with an objective ranking! And i would proberbly suggest that uni of adelaide has wine making... :uhhuh:

Estel

Tutor
HSC
Then why'd you waste thousands of words to make such a simple pt like that =/

I disagree with your 2nd pt, but I'll leave it at that.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
*will this stop*

Institution- as the first quote implies, i do not put UWS on the same par as USYD as an institution- ie facilities, services etc etc, what its made out of even.

Graduate= as the second quote. No matter the standard of the facilties, teachers, services etc...A business degree at UWS has the same skills aquired as a business degree at USYD. When looking for a job, theres is hardly any employees that will care what uni u go too, as long as u have the right skills and personality for the job. In this case, a person looking for a job has an equal chance.
You go girl!!!

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
hes very helpful, shares notes, generally gives advice...to me that nice..shall i call you queen?

and sorry that was my bad i assumed..lol im with you on the stop, i think the problem is people are misconstruing what others mean (though i must admit teh cleaners comment was harsh and uncalled for!) I was talking about institutions as a whole, u were on about degrees, were really discussing two very different things! Especially as i dont think either of us knows much about teh other feild ( i atleast know little about buissness, except teh basics and i doubt u knwo much about becoming an ancient historian!) So its impossible for us to discuss degrees because i think teh frames of reference will be miles apart

Estel

Tutor
HSC
natstar: I think you took Melbournian's quote too seriously.
ah well

Enough sentimentality... nobody's satisfactorily answered the intial q.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
i agree! Hes proberbly being himself and trying to cause trouble!

ok my advice for the dude, theres no reason u cant with your backround going into law/commerce, if your sick of science its silly to continue with it at uni! So do what interests you...make sure u talk to people, contact the unis your interested in, they dont bite and they do give good advice!

Last edited:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
natstar said:
Why cant ppl just be thankful they are getting a tertiary education, instead of bagging out others who go to a slightly less "prestigious" uni than they do, and then displaying the disadvantages of their uni. Think about all the poor lil souls that are unable to get to uni.
That is so true ... considering how hard it is for most students to actually get a decent uai and to get into uni now days.

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
he can be nice and make uncalled for comments...im sure your a nice person, an yet u still called me superficial...see what im getting at!

and all unis cut off will shoot up....thats the nature of things when more poeple then places are increasing every year

shelley

trouble maker
HSC
i bet he felt justified and provoked..haha were doing it again, i have a class to run off and attend...so this my end this..recently endless argument...and all i want to say is

ORIGINAL DUDE GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR CHOICES, drop us a line if u need further advice/thoughts ect!

Estel

Tutor
HSC
No... it's not possible for USYD to jump more then UWS... because there's no way it can increase demand as much.... cut-offs as high as they are.

Jeez the density of ppl

Estel

Tutor
HSC
my "Not really possible" comment... was aimed at "USYD's UAI's doesent shoot up as much as UWS's"
i.e. i was saying not possible for USYD's uai to jump that much...
hence your bet was rather trivial

you're ready to think the worst of ppl aren't u :p

Last edited:

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
In summary:

UWS students are no less human than students from other unis.

Usyd isn't the best uni in the world (Harvard is)

a UWS degree is a degree and you should be proud of that

In general, if possible you should try to get a degree from USyd rather than UWS

Kimmi_R

wow this is crazy, why does it matter hat uni you go to as long as you are in a course that you like, enjoy, and perform well in! at the end of the day no one is going to care what uni you went to, it doesnt say anything aboiut what type of person you are unless like melb you judge your own qualities at what you do at uni and at which one its at. that is so stupid. but back to the original question---have you thought about nutrition and diatetics, medical science or radiation?

cyrax83

discrete is killing me :(
HSC
hmm i'm not trying to start an argument here nor have i read through everyones discussion on the previous few pages here, but from what i have heard about the industry, where you get your degree does matter.

I'm not bagging out other uni's or anything like that, this is just what i have been told. Employers will often employ someone with a degree at a more 'prestigious' university rather than students with a degree from a less 'prestigious' uni.

E.g. the sun microsystems internships available, from what i was told, they basically didn't consider anyone who wasn't from either usyd, uts or unsw.

I know how you are all saying 'what about people who can't get into higher 'ranked' universitities', and i agree with you, it's an unfair situation and i don't put anyone else above or below me just by which university they come from, personally i couldn't really give a crap, but it's easy to say that where you get your degree doesn't matter, i.e. a person from a more presitigious university will have the same skills as a lower one, but lets be realistic here.

From an employers perspective it usually does matter since they are the ones choosing who to employ and want the best employees for the company possible and often the pre-conceived reputation of the university does play a role in this

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
shelley said:
Look i come form the western suburbs, and while i admit i attend usyd, the fact remains i attend it and travel the stupid distance every day for the simple fact its better. For me there is access to better informed and knowledgable lecturers, greater resources and the courses are more challanging.
Kind of late, but that's the situation that I am in, too, although I did not even consider UWS as an option*. Attending a school with a strong anti-UWS vibe (from the students and the teachers) also played its part, as did UWS' then pathetic teaching structure (one day at Richmond, another at Penrith, and then one at Parramatta, anyone?).

I'm not arguing, I am merely outlining my case, but feel free to try and argue if you wish.

Also, UAI's are not necessarily determined by the demand. Everyone should be well aware of the little fact by now.

*Edit: At first I considered UNSW alone, then ANU, USyd and UOW as a group. I eventually settled with USyd for a number of reasons: my financial position, the five year span of the degree, the perceived nature of my current major, the travelling aspect, and the fact that it was USyd. UWS did/does not even offer my current degree programme, but I only realised that earlier this year.

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
meh...get back to the argument when i get home...:p

Is there any point? It's an argument that cannot be resolved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)