Aghh! will I even get a second round offer!? (1 Viewer)

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
Hey guys, I put in my application with Media Production UNSW 1st, Arts USyd and Digital Computing USyd 3rd. I am now regretting this as I thought that if I get an offer for Media Production I would probably still get an offer for Arts USyd because it's a huge course. However, now I'm not so sure and I'm too late to change it. I'm really concerned I wont get an offer for Arts which is what I think I really want to do. I was looking at the main round offer document with the predicted vacancies and it said that Arts at USyd didnt have a (v) next to it but Digital Computing did have a (v). I don't want to do Arts at UNSW as they dont have the major within. Is it probable that I will get an offer, considering the increase in enrollment from the funding cap removal the government did?

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
It's up to the university to decide whether they want to expand places within a degree program so don't assume that it is guaranteed.

All you can really do is swap the preferences around for the next round and hope.

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
It's up to the university to decide whether they want to expand places within a degree program so don't assume that it is guaranteed.

All you can really do is swap the preferences around for the next round and hope.
That is exactly what I already knew and a perfect embodiment of the sentiment I expressed within my post, where I looked for speculation, rather than repetition.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
That is exactly what I already knew and a perfect embodiment of the sentiment I expressed within my post, where I looked for speculation, rather than repetition.
Dude, OzKo was genuinely trying to help you. No need to be a douche about it.

He's actually right anyway. There is nothing you can do except hope.

Speculate all you like, it is not going to change whether you will/will not get into the course.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
1) You didn't interpret what '(v)' actually means correctly. This indicates whether they believe there will be vacancies in the FINAL round, not the late round.

2) You didn't disclose your ATAR so how in the world can we even speculate?

3) Speculation is speculation. Your guess would be as good as ours.

4) If you are that apprehensive about people giving advice, don't ask for advice in the first place.

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
1) You didn't interpret what '(v)' actually means correctly. This indicates whether they believe there will be vacancies in the FINAL round, not the late round.

2) You didn't disclose your ATAR so how in the world can we even speculate?

3) Speculation is speculation. Your guess would be as good as ours.

4) If you are that apprehensive about people giving advice, don't ask for advice in the first place.
You didn't give me any advice. I literally thought you were restating what I had said.

Edit: You were.

HSC
Uni Grad
there have been late round spots in arts the past 2 years (uac site)

late round cutoffs are around ~90 atar

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
As ohexploitable said - there have been late round vacancies in USyd Arts - I know a few friends who got in late round.

However, you did seem pretty douchey by snapping at OzKo when he/she only tried to help.

d3st1nyLiang

Premium Member
HSC
Hey,

I also have a second round offer question.

I chose USYD law (commerce) for main rounds but may change to UNSW law (commerce) in the late round (2nd round).

If I am to change my prefs, I know I should accept my USYD offer - but do I need to enrol at USYD?

Also, what are my changes of getting into UNSW commerce/law as the commerce cutoff last year for 2nd round was 99.95 and law was 99.65.

determine

Premium Member
HSC
The issue with not enrolling in a course at a particular uni that you get a first round offer from (and therefore waiting for a second round offer) is that you will end up getting all the leftover times in the course at the uni you get a second round offer from. This is because all the students that received a first round offer for the same course will enrol, and by the time you enrol, there will be little choice for you.

I experienced this personally, as I received a first round offer for UNSW Commerce/Law, declined it, and then received a second round offer for UTS business/law and because everyone had already enrolled who got UTS business/law in the first round, I was left with silly classes. This can have major flow-on implications - such as in my case, where I, as a result, will be starting my commerce major half a year later.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

I also have a second round offer question.

I chose USYD law (commerce) for main rounds but may change to UNSW law (commerce) in the late round (2nd round).

If I am to change my prefs, I know I should accept my USYD offer - but do I need to enrol at USYD?

Also, what are my changes of getting into UNSW commerce/law as the commerce cutoff last year for 2nd round was 99.95 and law was 99.65.
Am I reading this right?

oasis76

HSC
Hey DETERMINE, i saw that you got a late round offer to uts bussiness law. I wanted to get into that course and had enough ATAR points (97.95) but i did something stupid and screwed up my preferences. i ended up getting commerce (to transfer to law) but now I'm really hoping i get second round offers to uts law. What are the chances of me getting it, do you know? I know that there are currently no vacancies, but Im just curious if it was like that last year too? Especially as 97.95 is above 97.20 is it likely for me to get in? Thanks in advance =)

Last edited:

blurp

HSC
The issue with not enrolling in a course at a particular uni that you get a first round offer from (and therefore waiting for a second round offer) is that you will end up getting all the leftover times in the course at the uni you get a second round offer from. This is because all the students that received a first round offer for the same course will enrol, and by the time you enrol, there will be little choice for you.

I experienced this personally, as I received a first round offer for UNSW Commerce/Law, declined it, and then received a second round offer for UTS business/law and because everyone had already enrolled who got UTS business/law in the first round, I was left with silly classes. This can have major flow-on implications - such as in my case, where I, as a result, will be starting my commerce major half a year later.
I am also worried about classes filling up if i accept the second round offers. So if you don't get to major in what you like in the first semester.. after one semester are you able to pick the subjects and majors you want to do.. will the classes be full or anything.. I'm just really confused at the moment...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)