Ahhh English (1 Viewer)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I am really stressing abt English.... I just got my prelim bak and it wasnt good
I got AOS 12, mod A 14 Mod b 11, my other marks have been 7/15 and 15/20 and 17/20! I do advanced and in prevous yrs have been an 80's to 90's english students I NEED HELP!!! I am so worried coz i do pretty well in all my other subjects 80-90 but if i stuff up my enhlish my UAI will b no where near 90... I used to b able to do writing tasks so easilt but ATM they suck wats wrong with me??? can ne one help me i am so worried!

PS thanks 4 letting me have my winge

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
i suggest u stick with it melsc, sometimes it just feels as if ur not performing at ur best however pretty soon it will come to you...JUST STICK TO IT

l-mercedes-l

Has left the building :D
Thanks to everyone who went out of their way to he
HSC
Relax...

Hey dont stress too much... our english results were horrible too... i think 3 people doing advanced english actually passed the yearly...

try and put it in perspective... the purpose of this year is to fail spectacurly so that next year we can get it right... [at least that my outlook]

right now im not doing as well as i need to in any of my subjects but my mates just tell me to keep it in perspective and i think that the best advice they could possibly have given me....

hope your other subjects are going better!!! Smile... coz were all in the same position

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
l-mercedes-l said:
Hey dont stress too much... our english results were horrible too... i think 3 people doing advanced english actually passed the yearly...

try and put it in perspective... the purpose of this year is to fail spectacurly so that next year we can get it right... [at least that my outlook]

right now im not doing as well as i need to in any of my subjects but my mates just tell me to keep it in perspective and i think that the best advice they could possibly have given me....

hope your other subjects are going better!!! Smile... coz were all in the same position
lol yes, words of wisdom. don't stress so much it's just yr 11, nothing counts, I did horribly in yr 11 maths last year but I think I'm going OK now...

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
its alright... ur doing better than my entire grade in english... we had a huge lecture from the english dept. teachers cause we all practically failed our tests, averaging around band 1.. I have found that english this year has been so much harder than before.. maybe thats why your marks arent as good as they used to be? it's all good but, this will fall into place.

Sweets

objective subjectives
HSC
don't worry. you just gotta believe in yourself. my half-yearly 64% (totally dissapointed, ranking crap). my yearly-92%(lst in the grade).

I reckon you should stick with it. i think its good to have some dissapointments so then you can learn from them.

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
I would tell you not to worry, but like my friend always tells me, its our natural instinct to worry. So instead, to improve your creative writing, read. Read as many books as possible, becuase it not only helps you write better but also helps your imagination and flow of ideas, if I can put it that way.
Also, when you recieve your assessments back, don't ask only your teacher for advice on how to improve, but a few other teachers in the English Faculty.

Oh, and it does happen to everyone. It's just a big leap and transition from junior years to senior years, and you probably just still need some more time to settle in and adjust. My school haven't recieved our English yearlies back, but our half-yearly results were a shocker. Only 5 or 6 people in Advanced English passed 50% and the majority of us received 80s and 90s in junior years.

-blueblue-

hey!
HSC
N/A
^ thats what our teachers say. that it is transition from 10/11 that has stuffed us up in english n stuff. okay.. but how long does the transition take? its the end of year 11 .. by the time we "Adjust" to year 12 it will be the hsc dammit

JamiL

in the northen hemisphere (who saids australia is
HSC
they mean shit,,, n basicly refect nothing...
i got 93% (111/120) in my HSC trial maths paper ( i do accell mathes)...
i got 62/84 for my trial that is like 75%...
big difference, dont worrie u jus need 2 try aa lil harder... is all good

veanz

hath no fury
HSC
N/A
like hyperbole said, reading books help alot - whether youre concious of the change or not..if that makes sense :)

im not so sure about tutoring though, it's quite difficult to find a great english tutor, since a great essay/english is subjective and unlike maths, there's no right answer.

what also helps, is looking at those papers who did well in their assesments, and asking the teacher where you went wrong. Even writing an extra story to give to the teacher for some one on one marking could help too?

lol sorry that sounds too much like year 12.. tone all that down a few notches :p

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
i use to be a bookworm. the end result, bloody glasses. well i don't read as many books as i use to but i enjoy them more. because i have less time to have a good time, just for reading. just relax like someone said. the reson i dn't read as much, is because i spend my time writing now.

like i was full acing year 10 english. now i am just getting outcomes. at the start of the year though, i was like getting working towards. i can't give you any percentages. not that i don't want to, i'd very much like to know too. but lke our teachers don't give marks. we either get working towards, outcomes achieved, high achivement, and limted achievement.

don't worry like i said. it's just a basic tranisiton, and the work has just got a bit harder. this is a time where everyone can flunk. right now your just cruising. however, in year 12, this is when you bring in the artillary and the reinforcements if needed.(sorry about the military terms) ( no i'm not a fan of military ideas.)

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
Wide reading is a huge help. If you're looking at a movement like modernism or POMO read a whole lot of descriptions and explanations until you really understand it. If nothing else, think (as silly as this may sound a lot of people just go through the motions). You can't really fake a deep understanding of a text.

Show the layers of meaning behind something. Cite references and give quotes. Show metaphor, then the meaning behind the metaphor and then the context of the writer which would result in him/her using such a metaphor to convey such a meaning.

Just make sure that your answers have depth, that you actually understand what you're writing and oh... read the bloody question ;o).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
tofu said:
The thing about English is that it is so subjective. On the other hand, with Mathematics, you're either right or your wrong.
Mmm, mathematics.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)