All These Smart People On Bos (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
i did half the work im doing now in year 11, and im not even in over drive yet.

i have no desire to push myself to tears just yet.
the year 11s at my school are pretty scungy really.
their year will probably drop by half in another 4 months

Shoubadoo

HSC
.deimonic said:
Well sometimes its to do with intelligence (logical thinking) but for the most it's hard work. Even a person who is logical and has a very high IQ will have difficulty doing maths if they never practice.
I agree, yes. : )

Mark576 said:
Getting high marks in so labelled 'difficult subjects' doesn't necessarily correlate to a high degree of intelligence, it only implies that you knew enough to score well in that particular test, nothing more than that. You can't justly infer that you're 'smart' because you get 95+% in physics or chemistry. Yes these subjects are hard, but if you learn the material, high marks are certainly achievable given that you are somewhat capable of independent thought.
Although if you are capable of independent thought, and have learnt the material for the difficult subject, and achieve high marks, I would call that smart. But I see what you mean- the same could be achieved for an exam requiring less ‘intelligence’.

.deimonic said:
On another note some people find physics/chem/maths easy compared to humanities subjects. Different people have different ways of thinking, I think intelligence should not be measured by how well a person does in logical subjects.
Good point.

lyounamu said:
Most of people are apparently inclined to either right side of their brain or left side of their brain. Left-sided people tend to have higher degree of intelligence in the fields of Mathematics and Science where logical thinking is highly favourable and required. On the other hand, right-sided people tend to have higher degree of intelligence in the fields of Visual Arts, History and English were critical and creative thinking is commonly used & needed.
Yes, I know about that. I just wandered if right-brain people can train themselves to be as intelligent in the fields of math etc, and excel at these just as well as the left-sided people.
I know there are also some who have a balance of both sides- great brains, great creativity. Then again, those two interlink.

I think, with persistance and faith, one can achieve basically anything they desire to achieve :)
"Be postitive- yeah!"

HSC
tommykins said:
On a racial standard of intelligence, Asians only appear smarter because we put in the hard work for it, if a caucasian put in their hard work, they'd rip any asian out there (speaking from experience here). Don't take this too heart.
The way you worded that sounds like if a caucasian and an asian worked equally hard the caucasian would win, which I assume is not what you meant...

Trajan

HSC
Yeah, there are plenty of smart people on Bos.

On the other hand.................Let's not forget the legions of retards that reside mainly in the Non-School section. Even when they have long finished high school and university.

Last edited:

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
veloc1ty said:
The way you worded that sounds like if a caucasian and an asian worked equally hard the caucasian would win, which I assume is not what you meant...
That's exactly what I meant.

Few of my uni mates have confirmed this.

Makes sense though, I've never met a caucasian that study ridiculous amount of hours, although I know a few that barely study but still equal Asians that do study.

Oh the wonders of generalisations.

Mark576

Feel good ...
HSC
Shoubadoo said:
Although if you are capable of independent thought, and have learnt the material for the difficult subject, and achieve high marks, I would call that smart. But I see what you mean- the same could be achieved for an exam requiring less ‘intelligence’.
It's a pretty selective intelligence, nonetheless. This is very different from 'natural intelligence', which doesn't really have much of a connection with how much study you do, and it's this that people make a fuss of which results in the poor person's embarassment when they stress out and don't achieve quite as high results in the following assessment (or whatever) due to the amount of pressure placed on them - So this can have quite a negative impact.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
foram said:
And i'm only very slightly egoistical.
:rofl:

Yeah, our Year 11s seem to study more than what we did last year. And some of them are doing more work than some of the Year 12s I know at the moment.

Lolita25

HSC
yr 11s at my school are alright, but the yr 12s feel as if they are burning out cause they did so much in yr 11, in yr 12 its full of procrastination

BackCountrySnow

HSC
First and foremost, I do not believe asians are anymore smarter than any other race.

black_kat_meow said:
I'm sorry. It was perhaps a bit uncalled for, but I just flipped at the assumption that all Asians are naturally brainer. I mean, no offence, but look at the countries with better standards of living, they tend to be Western (excepting Japan).
How does that mean asians aren't as smart?
It just shows that they are people that have been fucked over by their government

Yes, I realise Asian nations are on the rise, but this tends to be as they implement Western ideas..
Karl Marx was German. communism is also a western idea.

Jess007

HSC
i think asians are more committed maybe? thats why they do so well..their parents might have higher epectations...ehh wouldnt know * sigh*

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
i have to admit
that lol made me lol.

i think it was the font

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
tommykins said:
That's exactly what I meant.

Few of my uni mates have confirmed this.

Makes sense though, I've never met a caucasian that study ridiculous amount of hours, although I know a few that barely study but still equal Asians that do study.

Oh the wonders of generalisations.
Yes, but there are no really smart caucasians at my school. I know what you mean by how they snap everything with no studying. I do the bare minimum for preparation, and I beat almost everybody else even though some of them study in hysterics for weeks before the test. :D

HSC
humglish said:
I'm sorry, but you really piss me off. How about we stuff this whole, asians are smart, caucasians are dumb debate, cause I've met some really dumb asians, and some really smart caucasians and vice versa.

So now you can stop trying to brag about how big your e-penis is, because your asian and do no study, and stop paying out on everyone else. This debate is stupid anyway. By the way, has anyone every noticed that tradditionally it's asians who fuel this whole 'our-race-is-intellectually-superior' theory? Just putting it out there.
we have one asian in our year. she performs mildly well. does general maths, standard english etc.

we have a caucasian genius.

debate ended.

Kujah

HSC
N/A
humglish said:
I'm sorry, but you really piss me off. How about we stuff this whole, asians are smart, caucasians are dumb debate, cause I've met some really dumb asians, and some really smart caucasians and vice versa.

So now you can stop trying to brag about how big your e-penis is, because your asian and do no study, and stop paying out on everyone else. This debate is stupid anyway. By the way, has anyone every noticed that tradditionally it's asians who fuel this whole 'our-race-is-intellectually-superior' theory? Just putting it out there.
I agree.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
humglish said:
By the way, has anyone every noticed that tradditionally it's asians who fuel this whole 'our-race-is-intellectually-superior' theory? Just putting it out there.
Nah. A few of them say stupid things like 'I did quite well in maths, but im asian so i'm naturally good at it'. But as a whole asians usually dont start up these discussions

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Nah. A few of them say stupid things like 'I did quite well in maths, but im asian so i'm naturally good at it'. But as a whole asians usually dont start up these discussions
Who would say something as stupid as "I did well in math, but i'm asian so i'm naturally good at it."? Being asians has very little to do with it. The person who said that is so metaphoricaly blind.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
humglish said:

So you're here bitching about stereotyping yet you've just done it yourself?

Here look at this -

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showpost.php?p=3413202&postcount=7

Yeah nice.

Lolita25

HSC
foram said:
Who would say something as stupid as "I did well in math, but i'm asian so i'm naturally good at it."? Being asians has very little to do with it. The person who said that is so metaphoricaly blind.
Proof of his ego-ness

Lolita25

HSC
scaredytiger said:
so...as a caucasian, twas i to say that i agree, and am naturally good at math...

i would be unjustifiably egotistical?
NO cause im sure you dont brag the way *FORAM* does. I mean im good at certain things but i dont tell the whole world so that they get impressed and fall down at my feet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)