• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

All you wanna be lawyers... (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
gbangin said:
...what the hell do you see in wanting to be a lawyer?
Seriously, there are so many of you that have this crazy ambition to become a lawyer, and i don’t understand it?
Is it the money?
Is it the challenge of getting guilty people out their punishment?

I just don’t understand it, lawyers are such bloodthirsty, greedy people, eager to make as much money for themselves out of other peoples misery as possible.

I don’t get it...?
first and foremost, the career choices that OTHER PEOPLE MAKE is not something for you to get, appreciate or criticise. i'll take an extreme example - suppose someone has a exhibitionist fetish and loves getting naked if front of webcams for money, ARE YOU in the moral position to judge what he/she can or cannot do? the same point arises with law.

i've already written a lot about a legal career, outlined in this thread. they will answer the first couple of your questions.

the last question, however, is a what i call fucking archaic stereotype. yes, in classical literature the lawyer was often vilified, because he was seen to prey off other people's misfortunes, but the same can be said of doctors and funeral directors. the lawyer of today, however, is recognised as a professional, with a professional and ethical codes of conduct, and the legal profession has recognised complaint systems.

so before you bitch about why other people want to make a career choice out of law (not that it is any of your business anyway), consider the facts first. but then again, your ignorance can be forgiven on account of your age.

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
illin said:
Im all 4 the prestige and the money!
but the cut off 4 UNSW is 99.30/99.35

So its pretty high!
U what i came accross the other day. At the ANU (Australian National University) they offer Actuaial Studies/Law!
Seriously is any1 dumb enough to actually to that course!

What ive been tought:
Anything above a pass mark at Uni is a waste of good drinking time! :D
Yeah...I guess I am to really.

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
for law ...pass = not so good...pass = crappy job = not so much money
not if you have rich, well connected parents :uhhuh:
rich parents = lots of connections = lots of clients = excellent job = lots of money = mark is not important..
heheh...
too bad most of us aren't in that category.. :(

edit: law and actual isnt so hard, how about law/medicine?...was it at Monash they had that?

Last edited:

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
the reason why the cutoff for law is so high is because ignorant tools like threadmaker here wont be be able to reach the cutoff =/

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
true i guess :\

marks help...hows contracts?
alright..finished at 1950 words :)
wasnt too sure abouth how to talk abt damages though >.<
suppose to tell him if he's entitled to damages...but not suppose to discuss abt measure of damages...confusing

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
amoz_lilo said:
the reason why the cutoff for law is so high is because ignorant tools like threadmaker here wont be be able to reach the cutoff =/
ummm, isn't it because so many people apply for it?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
oh well, i don't care anyway, i'm pretty sure i'm not applying for law anyway, it's just that egronk is one of those judgemental people who likes to constantly attempt to take the moral highground by bitching out people who may insinuate that money may be *gasp* somewhat important...

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
1. Stop using my name

2. Yes, that was my account, but no, i did not post that message, that was a friend of mine who actually has a different account on this site that i will not name.

3. I made this account because of the post he made, that i do not agree with, read my first message in this topic to see my views on being a lawyer.

4. Shut the fuck up, you don’t know me, so don’t pretend that you do. I would never find myself in your presence intentionally.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Jago said:
i meant law AND acturial studies.

that's a lotta maths + a lot of reading...
Pffft the maths in actuarial is pussy statistical maths.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
mack said:
I want Comm/Law at UNSW. I dont know if ill get the UAI though. Why oh why must it be 99+?
join the club...

journalism/law at uts is 98.8

DAMN THAT

anu is only about 95 though. *crosses fingers*

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
withoutaface said:
Pffft the maths in actuarial is pussy statistical maths.
isn't 4u math recommended?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Egronk said:
1. Stop using my name

2. Yes, that was my account, but no, i did not post that message, that was a friend of mine who actually has a different account on this site that i will not name.

3. I made this account because of the post he made, that i do not agree with, read my first message in this topic to see my views on being a lawyer.

4. Shut the fuck up, you don’t know me, so don’t pretend that you do. I would never find myself in your presence intentionally.
riight, like the time that, what was it, your brother? posted on our grade msg board.

i'm judging you from your posts on the msg board, frankly, because i too find the thought of being in your presence repulsive.

Last edited:

jay2000

Highest Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
you are only meant to discuss whether he has the RIGHT to damages...not how much he actually gets...which he does get since Lobelia breached...he also has the right to terminate cos those terms in clause 5 were conditions...even thought clause 5 says 'warrants'
heh
good
then i dont have to worry :)

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
glycerine said:
riight, like the time that, what was it, your brother? posted on our grade msg board.

i'm judging you from your posts on the msg board, frankly, because i too find the thought of being in your presence repulsive. <edited>. quick, stalkers, you've got a first name! go nuts!
Look 'glycerine', I’m sorry I’m encroaching on your space, to somewhere were people have not yet been introduced to your actual personality, and i know that i am probably jeopardising the reverence that you so desperately desire from the people from this forum, but all I can do is apologise.

Yes, I am sorry that my brother posted like, 3 messages on our schools website, unfortunately I have no control over him accessing a public forum. If, what you are trying to say, is that I am bullshitting, I know what happened, and to be honest, I couldn’t care less what someone like you believes me or not.

Good work in trying to belittle me in front of the people on this site, because I know that it will full fill the fetish for attention that you seem to unfortunately thrive on, but again, I couldn’t care less what a bunch of nameless people on a website think of me, and, any one in their right mind would realise that you trying to berate me is merely trivial and petty.

And i was simply trying to ask you not to state my name on ethical terms, and was hoping that you would remove it, because you have morals, and respect other peoples right to privacy, but i was quite obviously way off.

Have a nice fucking life.

Last edited:

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
remember that message you posted as far back as, oh, yesterday? "you don't know me, so don't pretend like you do"?. gee, how's that glass house going for you, egronk?

nick1048

Mè çHöP ŸèW
The Mat®ix Ordinates: Sector 1-337- Statu
HSC
Egronk said:
To quote gbangin...

from what you have said nick1048, doctors in third world countries, people who work, and run charities, teachers, lifesavers and the like are all "bloodthirsty, greedy people, eager to make as much money for themselves out of other peoples misery as possible".

Good work mate, i think not.

I suggest you read what you have written before you post, so as not to sound like an idiot.

I admit that there are some lawyers, namely the government employed defenders (no im not talking about prosecutors, I’m talking about the ones all the poor people get when they cant afford one) but i am almost certain that most peoples motivation is the money, and that, i feel, is very sad.

I would like to suggest that nick1048 does not respond to this post again, as he already looks stupid enough.

Lol, stop trying to prove someone ignorant with ignorance, it's not chemistry like doesn't dissolve like. You dont prosecute someone for their career choice, you prosecute them for their actions once in that career. You don't become a lawyer because you want to rip people off or be a blood thristy pig. It's human nature to be greedy, but it's a generalisation to bang a whole career into one category. So next time you think want to TRY to make an intelligent statement, make sure it's intelligent first -_-'. Ohh and in terms of your money driven views, don't be money hungry my friend, give me your money and I'll make sure u get job satisfaction. Problem solved, go sook somewhere else -_-'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)