Amount of hours of study/day? (1 Viewer)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
adambra said:
1hour of constructive study a day is adequate.
No its not, that's equivalent to the amount of how many hrs a yr5/6 student should study

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
SoulSearcher said:
and to think that i didnt even study that much per day for year 10

besides its quality not quantity of study that counts
lol i didn't study at all till year 11 :p

deltan you go to my school right? may you provide me with your name? just curious.

Last edited:

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
and to think that i didnt even study that much per day for year 10

besides its quality not quantity of study that counts
Personally how can you actually measure the quality of how you study? I mean studying is just drawing information and doing the exercises to feed you mind really...

Last edited:

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
you measure it by how much you get done. if you say you studied 5 hours but most of it was spent staring into space than the time wasn't effectively used was it?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Deltan said:
Personally how can you actually measure the quality of how you study? I mean studying is just drawing information and doing the exercises to feed you mind really...
take these scenarios

scenario 1:
I sit at a table for 4 hours simply copying out equations from a maths textbook, which i don't understand and don't give examples of how to use the equation, while being distracted by the television

scenario 2:
Again, I sit at a table, again using a maths textbook, but for 2 hours. And in those 2 hours I am able to copy out the equations, give examples of how to use them in exams, understand how the equation works and re-read the notes I have made after I copy them out

Now which one is more productive?

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
take these scenarios

scenario 1:
I sit at a table for 4 hours simply copying out equations from a maths textbook, which i don't understand and don't give examples of how to use the equation, while being distracted by the television

scenario 2:
Again, I sit at a table, again using a maths textbook, but for 2 hours. And in those 2 hours I am able to copy out the equations, give examples of how to use them in exams, understand how the equation works and re-read the notes I have made after I copy them out

Now which one is more productive?
Either the maths textbook is terrible at explaining the equation or the tv should be turned off, not on for the full 4hrs.

In the scenario 2 of yours, i don't understand why you are able to understand it but not in scenario 1? I mean in the 1st hour of studying you should already have grasped the concept. If you fail to understand than more work and effort is required which is why quantity is a component of studying.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Deltan said:
Either the maths textbook is terrible at explaining the equation or the tv should be turned off, not on for the full 4hrs.

In the scenario 2 of yours, i don't understand why you are able to understand it but not in scenario 1? I mean in the 1st hour of studying you should already have grasped the concept. If you fail to understand than more work and effort is required which is why quantity is a component of studying.
because in scenario 2 your more focused and not distracted by the tv.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Hey, when you have the TV on, you're not allowed to count study-hours!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
Exactly, it makes a significant difference if you have no distractions while you're studying. So turn off that tv, shut down your comp, get rid of those distractions and keep them out of sight too. ;)

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC
Riviet said:
Exactly, it makes a significant difference if you have no distractions while you're studying. So turn off that tv, shut down your comp, get rid of those distractions and keep them out of sight too. ;)
Actually, it's good practice to have distractions around you, then you are more able to adapt to studying whatever the environment around you...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Hey, forget about the "study-hours", just get the work done! Time is not the measure of study, what you absorb into your head is a measure of study.

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Deltan said:
Actually, it's good practice to have distractions around you, then you are more able to adapt to studying whatever the environment around you...
thats not a good idea

before the trial maths HSC, I was trying to study with distractions, but that didn't work out so good

but for the maths HSC exam, removed all distractions from my room, and actually managed to study quite well, which helped me get a band 6

WouldbeDoctor

HSC
N/A
I think this question has not been fully answered. It would be helpful to know how much study to deticated per unit. One way to do this is to see how many hours you're a free, time of breaks, time of sport etc and calculate accordingly but you need compare on what is expected of you by the board of studies which is???? Also you need to pay closer attention to the harder subjects such as chem and english (for me) and 3-unit maths as opposed to 1-unit re or legal studies.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
WouldbeDoctor said:
I think this question has not been fully answered. It would be helpful to know how much study to deticated per unit. One way to do this is to see how many hours you're a free, time of breaks, time of sport etc and calculate accordingly but you need compare on what is expected of you by the board of studies which is???? Also you need to pay closer attention to the harder subjects such as chem and english (for me) and 3-unit maths as opposed to 1-unit re or legal studies.
theres no such thing as "harder subjects" someone might be the best at say 4unit english but struggle in general maths.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Well actually there is such thing as a "hard subject" but it's what subject(s) YOU find harder than others. Therefore, everyone has their own perspective on what subjects they find harder/easier or more interesting/boring.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)