Animal and Veterinary Bioscience. (1 Viewer)

cheeseburgers

HSC
For anyone who is doing this course now or perhaps knows someone who is doing it, could you please tell me whether one would struggle without having done 2U maths or chemistry.

i am aware of bridging courses but would like to know how much of that background knowledge is actually exercised or will the course teach you most of it?

Also, could you please give me an idea of workload? :/
thanks in advance

Last edited:

midnightmint

HSC
N/A
I'm in the same position. I've done 2 unit Chem but found the 2nd unit very hard.

I've only done Yr 10 level maths as well.

watsthebuzz

HSC
There is Chemistry fundamentals for people who didnt do chem and fundamental maths for those who have only a basic knowledge of it. I dont know how much chem is involved in veterinary bioscience, but I think it would be an advantage if you took chem as a subject in first year.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
I did first year animal sci 6 years ago (I know... it seems so long). We had to do chem in first year and also Biometry (kind of maths x statistics). It would be possible to do Chem without having done it in high school but it would be hard - a bridging course would take the pressure off.
I remember the first few weeks of biometry were very mathsy, and I did 2U maths in high school and found the biometry maths difficult, but after the initial maths it was more computer-type studies. If you have time I'd do the maths bridging course as well.

Once you get through 1st year, you don't really need either high school maths or chem - except as general knowlege / background, because the uni subjects will provide all you need as prereqs for 2nd year subjects.

Keep in mind that if you're struggling, most faculties have avenues you can go to for help, and I think Sydney Uni also has a Maths learning centre for students struggling with maths. So if you can't do the bridging course and find it all too hard, you can always get help.

Last edited:

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
Oh - and in terms of workload, approx 25-30 contact hours per week and probably the same again in at home study (preparation for pracs, Tutorial assignments, group work, studying for exams, assignments etc). I worked weekends (approx 10 hours per week) while studying so you can do it, but don't expect to have as much free time as people in other degrees might have - Science degrees tend to have a lot more contact hours.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)