Announcement from BOSTES/NESA - 2019 Syllabus Changes for Calculus courses (1 Viewer)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Re: Announcement from BOSTES - significant change to calculus courses

Thank you heaps tywebb! Really appreciate it

braintic

HSC
N/A

Well I hope they get their act together and publish the formula sheet before the first assessment task next term.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

The trouble with publishing it straight away is that it may confuse the current cohort into thinking they are going to get it in the 2015 HSC exams - which is not true.

I think it would be safer to wait till after the HSC exams for 2015 are finished before publishing the formula sheet.

But as I said before the BOSTES board have not decided yet when to publish it. So it could come out sooner, but I think it is unlikely.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

......1. Moving students from band 5 to band 6.........
It was in this presentation where we got another 29 trial papers from 2015. So here they are.:

8 general 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/w4kv40m44bwyy5a/8gen2-2015.zip

7 2 unit: http://www.mediafire.com/download/f19767dzuea9144/7more-2u-2015.zip

8 ext 1: http://www.mediafire.com/download/vx9ok52g0q3leq8/8more-ext1-2015.zip

6 ext 2: http://www.mediafire.com/download/jd6j0ve6x2bfbbe/6more-ext2-2015.zip

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

The draft writing briefs are up now a few days early:

General 1 and 2: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...oc/maths-gen-st6-draft-writing-brief-2015.pdf

2u/ext1/ext2: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...oc/maths-ext-st6-draft-writing-brief-2015.pdf

Here is the proposed content:

General 1 and 2:

Option 1:

- there would be minor revision only of the current Preliminary Mathematics General, HSC Mathematics General 2 and HSC Mathematics General 1 courses

- a greater level of revision would be considered, if required, to align with agreed changes to the Mathematics (‘2 Unit’) course.

Option 2:

- there would be moderate revision of the current Preliminary Mathematics General course (to become Preliminary Mathematics General 2), and the HSC Mathematics General 2 and HSC Mathematics General 1 courses. The new Preliminary Mathematics General 2 and HSC Mathematics General 2 courses will have significant overlap with the Mathematics course to assist student movement and to obtain appropriate course relativity in ATAR scaling. This overlap would include rates of change (without getting to the stage of formally calculating derivatives) and could include aspects of such topic areas as financial mathematics, statistics, probability, algebra and modelling, and trigonometry

- there would be a new Preliminary course (Preliminary Mathematics General 1) that, together with the revised HSC Mathematics General 1 course, will build on student knowledge and skills from Stage 5.1.

Advanced (2 unit)

- Real numbers and algebraic techniques (surds and indices, algebraic expressions, equations and inequalities, logarithms)

- Real functions and their graphs (simple graphs, function notation, properties of functions and graphs, regions and inequalities, applications involving real functions: direct and inverse variation, constructing and using functions)

- Trigonometry (exact ratios, sine rule, cosine rule, area rule, angles of any magnitude, identities, equations, graphs, trigonometric functions, derivatives of trigonometric functions, applications of the calculus of trigonometric functions)

- Differential calculus (estimating change, the derivative function, differentiation, Euler’s number and natural logarithms, stationary points, the second derivative, curve sketching, maximising and minimising)

- Integral calculus (the primitive function, the definite integral, approximating definite integrals, applications of integration)

- Sequences and series (applications of series to finance: present and future value, annuities)

- Descriptive statistics (univariate and bivariate data, the normal distribution, lines of best fit)

- Probability (systematic counting of events, successive outcomes, tree diagrams, applications involving probability and finance: counting techniques and probability, investment, reducing-balance loans)

- Exponential and logarithmic functions (calculus of exponential and logarithmic functions, applications to the natural environment: rates of change of physical quantities, exponential growth and decay).

Extension 1

- Circle geometry

- Further algebra (general theory of quadratic equations, quadratic and cubic expressions and equations)

- Polynomials (polynomial functions and their graphs, the remainder and factor theorems)

- Transformations of graphs

- Further trigonometry (sums and differences, trigonometry in three dimensions, solution and applications of trigonometric equations, further calculus of trigonometric functions)

- Series, elementary difference equations (limiting sum of a geometric series, methods of solution of first-order linear difference equations)

- Descriptive statistics (discrete random variables, continuous random variables, types of distributions)

- Mathematical induction

- The binomial theorem (binomial expansions and identities, binomial probabilities)

- Methods and applications of integration (including substitution, solids of revolution)

- Inverse functions (including inverse trigonometric functions)

- Further applications of calculus involving mathematical modelling (including further exponential growth and decay, related rates, projectile motion, iterative methods for estimating roots of equations).

Extension 2

- The nature of proof (including proofs involving inequalities)

- Complex numbers and polynomials over the complex field (arithmetic of complex numbers, geometric representation, powers and roots, curves and regions, fundamental theorem of algebra and factorising polynomials)

- Graphs (graphing techniques, general approach to curve sketching)

- Integration techniques (including integration by parts, recurrence relations)

- Volumes (by slicing, by the method of cylindrical shells)

- Modelling with functions and derivatives (solving differential equations by integration, first-order linear differential equations)

- Mechanics (simple harmonic motion, Newton’s laws, resisted motion along a horizontal line, resisted motion under gravity)

- Difference equations (solving second-order difference equations, the logistic growth equation, equilibrium, periodic and chaotic solutions)

- Statisical inference (sample means, confidence intervals for means).

Last edited:

Flop21

HSC

Statistics in 2u???!?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

Yes. And in ext. 1 and 2.

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

We were told at the conference it should be finalised by the end of next year. The final syllabus should be in schools at least 1 year before implementation. That means it should start with year 11 in 2018 and first examined in 2019. But if they try to rush it through it could start in 2017 and be first examined in 2018. No timeline has been published.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A

Just to confirm, are the new 'reference sheets' being implemented for the 2016 HSC?

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

Just to confirm, are the new 'reference sheets' being implemented for the 2016 HSC?
Yes. That's right.

I should point out that draft writing briefs have been written for some other subjects as well - English, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Environmental Science, Senior Science, History which are available here: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.a...-eng-maths-sci-hist-draft-writing-briefs.html

Last edited:

Wolf97

HSC

No more conics? Wow.

braintic

HSC
N/A

So they want Combinatorics in 2U?
And no locus or parameters anywhere.

Last edited:

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

No vectors or matrices either. That's disappointing.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

So has simple harmonic motion been transferred from MX1 to MX2? I can see it in the latter but not in the former on the post on the previous page (though it could be 'hidden' amongst the MX1 topics).

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A

It seems to just be in ME2 now.

But of more concern is that it seems to be based on 2 disasters: - 1. the national curriculum - and 2. the shelved drafts from 2008

Bill Pender wrote about both disasters in 2 separate documents:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/shattering-fallout-for-students-in-nsw-20100912-156zy.html

and

http://www.angelfire.com/ab7/fourunit/0806BOSSubmission.pdf

So if that's all it's based on then the end result could be a "disaster squared" so to speak.

leehuan

HSC

I'm glad I got out of my HSC without touching statistics...

Ekman

HSC

I'm glad I got out of my HSC without touching statistics...
Don't you want to do actuarial and adv math at unsw?

leehuan

HSC

Don't you want to do actuarial and adv math at unsw?
Yeah, I don't mind stats now but back then I hated the crap out of it.

Literally, watching the general 2 students do easy statistics at the end of the year was my catalyst of change. Obviously actuarial isn't going to be anywhere as close as that in difficulty but still. Back in Yr 11 if someone mentioned statistics I would've flipped.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)