• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Anti-Semitism (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Anti-Semitism seems to be something reaching the headlines in modern times, from the words of Mel Gibson, to the war between Israel and Lebanon to the mouths of teenage Australians saying such as 'Nobody likes the Jews' and 'Don't be Jewish'.

In my readings I have come across six main motives for Anti-Semitism.

1. Economic - The Jews hold too much wealth, and too much power -

The Anti-Defamation League surveyed 12 European countries in 2005. It found that:

Over 30% of those surveyed indicated that Jews have too much power in business
2. Chosen People - The Jews are arrogant for considering themselves the Chosen People. -

In a study of Gentile Americans:

59% of respondents believed that the Jews considered themselves to be G-d's chosen people
3. Scapegoat - We need someone to blame, why not an easy target? -

Is it that they become the scapegoat because they're hated, or becomming the scapegoat makes them hated?

4. Decide - The Jews killed Jesus -

Over 20% of European respondents agreed that Jews were responsible for the death of Jesus
If this was the case, did Jesus not say 'Forgive them for they know not what they are doing?'

5. Outsiders - The Jews look, dress, and speak different to us -

The Jewish nose theory was dissproved in 1911. Reform Jews tend to dress just as any other member of the public, and speaking a foreign tongue creates notability by the general public.

6. Racial Inferiority - They are a race far inferior to ours -

------------------------------------------------------------

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
May I also bring attention to the fact that Israel only accounts for 34.4% of the world-wide Jewish population.

tempco

HSC
IMO, anti-Semitism isn't as big a problem as some make it out to be... and quite a few Jews and their supporters are perpetuating it to further their agendas. Two main issues keep popping up. Many Jews tend to think that any criticism of Israel is an attack on the Jewish community... followed by labels - anti-Semite, Jew-hater, etc - being thrown. I've also noticed that any Jew that doesn't agree with Israel's motives and actions is labelled a self-hating Jew instantly.

The fact that the term "self-hating Jew" actually exists (and is used quite extensively) is quite disturbing, really.

360flip

HSC
N/A
ah well the jews were disgraced from the start having no real country for themselves and getting gassed and the shit kicked out of them now the ball's in their corner and theyre having their revenge! im just looking at the "big picture"

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
The fact that the term "self-hating Jew" actually exists (and is used quite extensively) is quite disturbing, really.
Are you referring to Anti-Zionist Jews?

Zionism is a political movement among Jews, although supported by some non-Jews and not supported by some Jews, which maintains that the Jewish people constitute a nation and are entitled to a national homeland.

gerhard

HSC
If you were to ask me the one main reason why Jews were hated, I would not give you any of those.

banco55

HSC
Anyone who knows anything about the arab press will know that anti-semitism is alive and well. Partly because hatred of jews etc. is one of the few political topics that won't get you arrested in those backward arab countries.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
It isn't just prevalent in Arabic press.

Also, gerhard, what reasons would you give?

gerhard

HSC
this sort of reasoning

Dont like Israel for political reasons
All Jews support Israel
Therefore dont like Jews

gerhard

HSC
what? I know.
Im not saying I believe what i wrote, just like you arent saying you believe Jews are an inferior race. come on

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
banco55 said:
Anyone who knows anything about the arab press will know that anti-semitism is alive and well. Partly because hatred of Israel etc. is one of the few political topics that won't get you arrested in those backward arab countries.
I think that's more accurate.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
we all hate jews, but i dont necesarrily hate all israelis. I AM anti-jewish i dont like ppl who follow judaism.

I dont believe thats rascism and i do not discriminate against them. Its preference, life is full of choices and we need to make some.

for eg; there are two people applying for job, both apply at the same, both have the same grades and ability. one is jew and the other is christian. i can only hire one, i would hire the christian. would that be discrimination - its choice that had to be made? and plus both have the same capabilities for the job.

its up tp personal preference.

i find jews to be arrogant and to mention the holocaust in every single conversation.

Generator

HSC
N/A
HotShot -

discrimination

unfair treatment of a person or group on the basis of prejudice

-or-

Treatment or consideration based on class or category rather than individual merit

source
Though in your example a choice must be made, what you speak of is still discrimination.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Well...

If I am would I be considered bias, would I be subject to hate crimes?

If I weren't would I be viewed as a traitor?

HSC
HotShot said:
we all hate jews, but i dont necesarrily hate all israelis. I AM anti-jewish i dont like ppl who follow judaism.

I dont believe thats rascism and i do not discriminate against them. Its preference, life is full of choices and we need to make some.

for eg; there are two people applying for job, both apply at the same, both have the same grades and ability. one is jew and the other is christian. i can only hire one, i would hire the christian. would that be discrimination - its choice that had to be made? and plus both have the same capabilities for the job.

i find jews to be arrogant and to mention the holocaust in every single conversation.
Not all jews follow judaism, not all judaists are jews.

funkassassin

HSC
HotShot said:

WTF do you call that! how many jews have u met?
You sound arrogant! making comments like this you most likely have no clue what judaism is about. its ppl like you who screw this world up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)