ANU accommodation 2012 (1 Viewer)

casablanca

HSC
I was planning on taking a gap year but in the last few weeks decided that I will go straight on to uni next year. I read that applications for accommodation close 30th November. I want to make sure I do a good application, so was going to wait til after I finish my hsc exams, but someone said that they give higher priority to people who apply early. Is that true? Thanks!

yosemite sam

HSC
not 100% sure but with the way that accommodation disappears here, I'd get it done asap. It shouldn't take you too long, just an hour or two so if you've got some time this weekend or something, get it done.
Good luck.

kaur154

HSC
Say if you don't get accommodation at ANU, do you believe it would be difficult finding an apartment in nearby suburbs? And would it cost more or less?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Canberra has quite a difficult rental market and I've heard finding places nearby can take a long time.

Of course, that's why we have first year accommodation guarantee - although it won't always get you the residence you want, it can be better than trying to find your own place.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Say if you don't get accommodation at ANU, do you believe it would be difficult finding an apartment in nearby suburbs? And would it cost more or less?
Hi,

I shared with 3 other people before I got into on campus accomidation.

Away from campus (10 min express bus/40 min bus) = $150 a week for a big room in a shitty house (read no heating WHICH IS REALLY BAD and 1 bathroom between 4 people.) + $10 a week in bus tickets + $70 a week for food. I had no bond.
At Uni its $168 a week with a $1000 bond I believe and $x in stupid fees. I spend about $40-50 a week on food here as I pretty much share everything with my girlfriend.
At Uni (catered) its $300ish a week

Accomidation is REALLY bad in Canberra and you should prepare yourself for that (Took me 3 months of looking including 3 weeks of homelessness in Canberra to get a place.)

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Hi,

I shared with 3 other people before I got into on campus accomidation.

Away from campus (10 min express bus/40 min bus) = $150 a week for a big room in a shitty house (read no heating WHICH IS REALLY BAD and 1 bathroom between 4 people.) + $10 a week in bus tickets + $70 a week for food. I had no bond.
At Uni its $168 a week with a $1000 bond I believe and $x in stupid fees. I spend about $40-50 a week on food here as I pretty much share everything with my girlfriend.
At Uni (catered) its $300ish a week

Accomidation is REALLY bad in Canberra and you should prepare yourself for that (Took me 3 months of looking including 3 weeks of homelessness in Canberra to get a place.)
Of course with the first year guarantee, if you're a first year you will get some form of accommodation. Studentleader was a transfer so he didn't qualify unfortunately :(

kaur154

HSC
I have recently received and accepted my offer at ANU and just waiting for an accommodation offer. Does it usually take this long? I am so anxious. (I'm a first year undergraduate student too )

mykneesarecold

HSC
I received an accommodation offer yesterday but they're still handing them out until the end of Jan (I think). Somewhere on the ANU accomm site it tells you to contact them if you haven't received an offer by the Feb 1st. I applied super late as well (after Christmas). Hope you get contacted soon!

Last edited:

kaur154

HSC
I received an accommodation offer yesterday but they're still handing them out until the end of Jan (I think). Somewhere on the ANU accomm site it tells you to contact them if you haven't received an offer by the Feb 1st. I applied super late as well (after Christmas) so I don't think I was covered by the undergrad guarantee. Hope you get contacted soon!
I applied at the end of October. Yeah I emailed them and I emailed unilodge.. I am so worried because if I don't get on-campus accommodation I am so screwed. Where did you get accommodation? Was it your first preference?

mykneesarecold

HSC
Ah, don't fret, you should be covered by the guarantee then! I was offered a place at Lena Karmel, UniLodge. Wasn't my first preference and is a tad pricier than anticipated...but I've contacted so many people for share accommodation within a decent price range...to no avail. I was in your situation a few days back...my dad suggested taking residence in a nearby cave and acquiring sustenance from beetle juice and native fauna. was not funny at the time.

kaur154

HSC
Ah, don't fret, you should be covered by the guarantee then! I was offered a place at Lena Karmel, UniLodge. Wasn't my first preference and is a tad pricier than anticipated...but I've contacted so many people for share accommodation within a decent price range...to no avail. I was in your situation a few days back...my dad suggested taking residence in a nearby cave and acquiring sustenance from beetle juice and native fauna. was not funny at the time.
Lena Karmel UniLodge I was hoping I would get an offer there since it was new ..
I am so desperate right now lol but feel a bit more relieved after reading this http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-04/early-round-university-offers-announced/3757956?section=act
that anu has more room to even accept people living in ACT, such a relief honestly I was thinking the worst

haha a cave .. well atleast your dad seems positive about it my dad is so against me going that i reckon he called ANU and made sure somehow I wouldn't get accommodation
lol jks

well congrats you're going to ANU!! :)

mykneesarecold

HSC
ohhhhh hold on! do you live in ACT? there's a condition specifying that locals aren't covered by the guarantee. (i'm sort of assuming that you don't, because why else would you be looking for accommodation? unless you're looking for something closer to the campus). i think that article refers more to ANU's academic offers rather than offers for accommodation. however there's still a while to go before january ends so all hope is not lost!

Last edited:

kaur154

HSC
ohhhhh hold on! do you live in ACT? there's a condition specifying that locals aren't covered by the guarantee. (i'm sort of assuming that you don't, because why else would you be looking for accommodation? unless you're looking for something closer to the campus). i think that article refers more to ANU's academic offers rather than offers for accommodation.
ahh it's 2am i should really go to sleep lol nah i live in sydney
ok so i'm back to freaky, worried maniac..oh well whatever happens, happens
hey when you accept your offer do you have to the bond in 48 hrs as well?

mykneesarecold

HSC
ah cool you'll get an offer soon then. well, the conditions say that you have to pay within 48 hours but i emailed them about me being unable to pay on time (banks were closed yesterday and processing takes a few days for bank transfer). they said it was fine. good news is that you're covered by the guarantee! i'll be seeing you around at ANU!

kaur154

HSC
That's such a relief. I received a reply back and they said they couldn't find my name in the system. They must have lost my application or missed; something like that.
yes hopefully I'll see around. What course are you doing?

Chazure

HSC
Uni Grad
good to hear more first years staying at the newest unilodge this year! i'll be seeing you peeps there as well ;P

mykneesarecold

HSC
yup yup. making acquaintances on bos prior to moving in haha. i can't cook though. canned tuna and sardines all day errrrrday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)