ANU/Canberra 2011 Rollcall (1 Viewer)

Nelke

HSC
Ah that's annoying. And yeah, I guess this stuff is best sorted out when I get to enrolment and can harass the advisor-y people in person ;)

Fingers crossed awkward timetable isn't too awkward. :c

Thanks again!

AussiePiranha

HSC
Hiya!

I'll also be starting the B Arts/B Asia-Pacific Studies next year (such an odd combination - I wasn't expecting to meet anyone else doing it before I got down there!)
And I've just accepted an accommodation offer to Fenner - yippee!

Nelke, I'm also planning to do Security Studies, but I'm a bit confused about the first year courses - the default for all CAP students seems to be ASIA1025 in the first semester, but the major also seems to include a new first year course STST1001, which kinds looks more relevant and interesting. Any idea if we can count the STST units towards the major instead of the ASIA units, or do the STST units have to be additional?

Adjlinux, I'm also hoping to do IR, and I was wondering if it matters whether I pick EURO1004 or POLS1002 - if I did the EURO one, and then Intro to IR in second semester, would they be enough for prerequisites for later year IR courses?

Sorry for the technical questions... :/

And congrats to everyone else who got offers - see you in three weeks!

azsakura

HSC
dies.. when can i get accommodation offer.. im so worried... ORZ

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
Hiya!

I'll also be starting the B Arts/B Asia-Pacific Studies next year (such an odd combination - I wasn't expecting to meet anyone else doing it before I got down there!)
BA/BAPS isn't that odd a combination, I'm afraid. :p (That said, it's far less common than Arts/Law...) Congrats on Fenner!

Nelke, I'm also planning to do Security Studies, but I'm a bit confused about the first year courses - the default for all CAP students seems to be ASIA1025 in the first semester, but the major also seems to include a new first year course STST1001, which kinds looks more relevant and interesting. Any idea if we can count the STST units towards the major instead of the ASIA units, or do the STST units have to be additional?

Adjlinux, I'm also hoping to do IR, and I was wondering if it matters whether I pick EURO1004 or POLS1002 - if I did the EURO one, and then Intro to IR in second semester, would they be enough for prerequisites for later year IR courses?
You'd want to make sure you end up doing two Political Science courses by the end of first year, otherwise you may find your options limited because later-year POLS courses can have prerequisites of two first year Pol Sci courses. If you'd like to do EURO, I'd suggest doing at least one of POLS1002/3/4 as well.

Sorry for the technical questions... :/

Congrats and see you in Acton!

Nelke

HSC
Hiya!

We need to be friends, stat. I am so confused and lost and you can be my little anchor to sanity. Or something. Also, I saw on the Online List of Main Round Offers that ajdlinux posted up earlier that there's 32 people doing our course with us ;)

Congrats on getting into Fenner! I've got my fingers crossed for an offer from B&G, so I hope an offer appears sometime within the next few days or I might just die from suspense.

As for the more technical aspects of our course... I feel very much like a fish that just got tossed up on land. Including all of the flopping and flailing about. Although, I'm pretty sure the ASIA units are compulsory? Or rather, the only available units for first years?

Requirements
First year commencing courses for the contextual major in this field of study are:
ASIA1025 Individual and Society in Asia and Pacific A
ASIA1030 Individual and Society in Asia and Pacific B

Students pursuing this field of study are required to follow-up ASIA1025 and ASIA1030 with:
STST2001 International security issues in the Asia-Pacific
STST2002 Internal security issues in the Asia-Pacific

Seems to me like they're only available if you do the ASIA courses first?

I've decided to just wait until enrolment day and harass the hell out of the enrolment people though. It should prove interesting~

@Azsakura,
Don't worry. I'm freaking out too.

Last edited:

freaksoutalot

HSC
2nd year b aps/ b a student here pol science and security studies majors, john XXIII college, and i can answer a few of your questions:

chinese runs a bit different to other languages ( same as japanese), you will take 2 courses a semester for chinese thus 12 units a semester with 2 classes they being speaking and writing i think ( i dont do either languages - i do indonesian and im picking up persian this year as well) so your time table and the sequence of courses will be a little different and they may have common lectures.

as per security studies - it has moved from the ap school to the stst school (dont freak, its still a ap major) as of 2011 and thus theres new units etc, pre-requisates are either individual and society or security studies so you could do either - security studies would probably be alot meatier and interesting if that's where your interests lie so i will reconmend that.

and finally with the politics question above - alot of prerequisates for IR and pols are mutual but you can do an ir major and pols major you just gotta make sure you have enough units for each at the end of your whole degree (its not hard just have to use your brain), they are however very similar so u may want to think about picking up a second slightly different major (a language? sociology? development? anth? etc) so as to broaden your options etc and you can go your whole way through a pols major (or ir major) that shares the same courses as the other and essentially pick what you would like to specifically major in, i think theres more hist subjects in ir - but a strict ir major contributor would be able to help you confirm that.

hope ive been helpful.

Sadistic29

HSC
First year, B Asia-Pacific Studies (majoring in Japanese)/ B Science (majoring in astronomy and astrophysics, hopefully), here~! :D I've applied for accommodation (with unilodge - kinlodge as my first preference; I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an offer). Uwaaa~ I'm so nervous. (>///<)

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
What emails has everyone got from ANU? my email has been down for the last week

azsakura

HSC
haven't been getting any emails from anu. No accom offer whatsoever ..not even to confirm my acceptance of academic offer. ORZ||||| worried....

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
haven't been getting any emails from anu. No accom offer whatsoever ..not even to confirm my acceptance of academic offer. ORZ||||| worried....
I know it's worrying, but it's normal - there isn't an email to confirm acceptance of offer, and last year people were getting accommodation offers literally a few days before O-Week.

sykokuzamaki

HSC
when do we have to enrol by? and what exactly do we have to do to enrol o_O i have no idea what i need to do.

nvm. found the info in another thread :D

Last edited:

vikraman

HSC
I know it's worrying, but it's normal - there isn't an email to confirm acceptance of offer, and last year people were getting accommodation offers literally a few days before O-Week.
Story of my life mate. I got my accommodation offer literally 3 days before the start of O-Week and this was after camping outside UAS for a week AND doing a rain dance. Anyway don't worry guys you'll all get your offers before O-Week starts. Just keep an eye on the accommodation portal. Anyone here applied to come to Bruce Hall?

If you guys have any other questions be they general or specific I can help answering them too.

B.Sc (Adv) (Hons) Double Major Geology 2013

grace93

HSC
Hey ANU people!
I'm also planning on heading down there from Queensland to do Bus Admin/B Arts but I'm not gonna be able to go if I can't get catered accommodation because I really can't fend for myself! I have applied to Bruce Hall but I have heard nothing by email or the accommodation portal... Has anyone else heard from Bruce yet?

georginagott

HSC
i applied for B&G and havent heard anything as well...its a bit stressful not knowing where you'll be living. i got stuck in with the accommodation problems last year where the uni had to outsource accommodation off campus because there was overload of applications...so i deferred-hoping im not put in that situation again. but apparently everyones meant to recieve offers before the 27th january. fingers crossed for everyone!

vikraman

HSC
Hey ANU people!
I'm also planning on heading down there from Queensland to do Bus Admin/B Arts but I'm not gonna be able to go if I can't get catered accommodation because I really can't fend for myself! I have applied to Bruce Hall but I have heard nothing by email or the accommodation portal... Has anyone else heard from Bruce yet?
Yeah don't worry about it. If you applied on time and stuff you should get a spot without any issues. Last year I had to stay in an off-campus motel for 3 months before they got me a spot in Bruce but that's because of poor planning by the ANU, ie. they over-enrolled and didn't think about the consequences of that to their first year accommodation guarantee. This year if you don't get a place at a catered college initially they'll put you in a subsidised room in UniLodge until they can get you a room in Bruce. Might be useful to learn to cook and stuff anyway. Good luck!

furansugo

HSC
I'll be at ANU too! PhBing - I'll probably be studying 1st year maths and chemistry, along with 2nd year physics and maybe a bit of biology and music at some stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)