ANU Maths Day - 2012 (1 Viewer)

deswa1

HSC
Hey guys,

Is anyone else from BOS going to the Canberra Maths Day at ANU towards the end of the month : http://cpms.anu.edu.au/special/maths-day.

For others that have gone in the past, what did you think of it? Our school did a similar thing in Year 10 for maths and I thought it was really enjoyable.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I would love to come but it's in Canberra.. :( I cannot afford to travel very far. Though tell me how it is and maybe sneak me a few sample questions. ;)

deswa1

HSC
I would love to come but it's in Canberra.. :( I cannot afford to travel very far. Though tell me how it is and maybe sneak me a few sample questions. ;)
Will do. There are some past questions available on the website if you want to have a look, but I'll make sure to post any really interesting questions we get. Luckily for us, our school is paying for the whole trip :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Will do. There are some past questions available on the website if you want to have a look, but I'll make sure to post any really interesting questions we get. Luckily for us, our school is paying for the whole trip :)
Nice! :( Never been to Canberra before. Argh another thing I won't get to do in my life. Enjoy.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I got invited to do this, but I declined for 'HSC purposes' even though my teacher really wanted me to.

Now I really regret it, because it would have been an awesome event.

My school offered to pay for most of it (iirc it was ~$400?)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I got invited to do this, but I declined for 'HSC purposes' even though my teacher really wanted me to.

Now I really regret it, because it would have been an awesome event.

My school offered to pay for most of it (iirc it was ~$400?)
Wow. Our school only gives free tickets for this tuition thing (not named for safety purposes) that was absolutely a waste of time.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Nice! :( Never been to Canberra before. Argh another thing I won't get to do in my life. Enjoy.
Dude. It's 3 hours drive. Hardly something that you'll never get to do in life. (Apart from the fact that there's not really much there)

qwerty44

HSC
Sydney Tech won last year.

Your school sends a team? If so we have no hope lol

seanieg89

HSC
Yeah...they seem very easy. If you want a taste for good problemsolving mathematics try some olympiad stuff, it is far more challenging.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
A lot of these problems can be made very simple using Lagrange Multipliers since so many of them are 'What is the max/min if XXXXX'...

deswa1

HSC
grats to sydney tech team, they ripped everyone
Thanks but I don't think ripped is the right word. I actually thought we had come second to Canberra College or whatever and the other teams were quite close as well. Did you guys get full marks for Q10 BTW?

barbernator

HSC
Thanks but I don't think ripped is the right word. I actually thought we had come second to Canberra College or whatever and the other teams were quite close as well. Did you guys get full marks for Q10 BTW?
Haha ok i concede that it was a close finish :) nah we didn't. Really good day though, and I definitely know how to count to 5 lol.

deswa1

HSC
Haha ok i concede that it was a close finish :) nah we didn't. Really good day though, and I definitely know how to count to 5 lol.
True. I enjoyed it heaps- the relay though was too easy for the time frame they gave us. The swiss killed me though, after your team, I only got two of them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)