ANU vs UNSW (BAdvSc) (1 Viewer)

teequal

HSC
So I'm having trouble with this decision for a number of reasons but I'd just like to know what you think is better for my situation.
First off I have a selection rank of 97.85 @ ANU and 96.85 at UNSW, both guaranteed entry. I also have been admitted for BAdvSc @ MQ but am less likely to take this as it's major selection and classes didn't offer what I wanted in physical chemistry. (Too much biochem focus)

1. Distance
I live in Greater Western Sydney, and it's a little over 2 hours to get to UNSW with public transport so I've definitely considered moving out and into a shared house. That's the most likely option at NSW. However I would obviously have to move to Canberra to go to ANU and I would be much further from friends and family. So this would at least at first be hard on me socially. Can anyone speak about ANU campus life, accommodation and social clubs? Same for UNSW but I have heard a lot more already.

2. Grades/Difficulty
At ANU they list that an average WAM of 75 in all *science* courses in every period is required. How hard is this? Can anyone speak from personal experience? Does this require 100% attention to study or can you achieve it while being relatively relaxed and not too stressed?
My ATAR was an 87.85 but in truth I put only 2 nights of study before every exam throughout my HSC course and I believe I am capable of very high marks. I'm also very passionate about my field (I got an 83 in both Bio and Chem HSC) But I may be starting a bit behind the rest of my classmates as I didn't take 2u math but I've already begun homeschooling myself all of 2u and will work on getting most of 4u math knowledge before I begin my course so I am not too behind.
At UNSW the minimum average WAM is a 70 which is more achievable ofcourse, but is it a huge difference? How much harder would I have to work for that 75?
If I get dropped to BSc at ANU or UNSW, how big of a deal is that? I understand the two degrees are very similar but I am trying to pursue postgrad research and a PhD, so does the Adv title mean much as far as my reputability in the future/will it really give me any more opportunity to do research work in my undergrad years?
Also can anyone speak about the honours year experience in either course or a similar course?

So is it worth the risk of moving far from home into an unknown place and entering a very competitive degree that I could possibly struggle to meet requirements in or should I take the slightly safer route of UNSW and miss out on the "prestige" of ANU and the international recognition that comes with it. (Is it a big difference?)

Thank you for any replies :)

Last edited:

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Depends on you but personally It will be hard to achieve that wam regardless of what uni u go to. Uni is not easy. Institutions are meant to be at a set standard, it doesn't matter where you go, the syllabus will be almost similar and at the same level. And no dropping to sci won't ruin ur rep.

teequal

HSC
Depends on you but personally It will be hard to achieve that wam regardless of what uni u go to. Uni is not easy. Institutions are meant to be at a set standard, it doesn't matter where you go, the syllabus will be almost similar and at the same level. And no dropping to sci won't ruin ur rep.
Thanks for your advice. Can you speak on either university? Also I've read that the Advanced Science degree doesn't offer much extra at all bar guaranteed honours and forcing you to take advanced classes. However since my dream uni has always been Sydney, would you recommend instead doing BSc @ USYD, taking adv classes where I can and doing honours since I've been informed that your honours year is much more important that your first 3 years when it comes to HDR and recognition. This also means I don't risk ending up doing a BSc at another Uni when I turned it down at USYD.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Thanks for your advice. Can you speak on either university? Also I've read that the Advanced Science degree doesn't offer much extra at all bar guaranteed honours and forcing you to take advanced classes. However since my dream uni has always been Sydney, would you recommend instead doing BSc @ USYD, taking adv classes where I can and doing honours since I've been informed that your honours year is much more important that your first 3 years when it comes to HDR and recognition. This also means I don't risk ending up doing a BSc at another Uni when I turned it down at USYD.
i do adv science at UNSW and I can tell you that's true, as long as your wam is a distinction you will get Hons. At USYD I can't really speak for it, there's adv sci at USYD as well iirc.

teequal

HSC
i do adv science at UNSW and I can tell you that's true, as long as your wam is a distinction you will get Hons. At USYD I can't really speak for it, there's adv sci at USYD as well iirc.
My selection rank is unfortunately not high enough for Advanced Science @ Sydney.

Do you feel like you've been given any extra opportunity doing the advanced degree at UNSW compared to those in the regular degree? Could you tell me about them if you have? Thanks

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
My selection rank is unfortunately not high enough for Advanced Science @ Sydney.

Do you feel like you've been given any extra opportunity doing the advanced degree at UNSW compared to those in the regular degree? Could you tell me about them if you have? Thanks
I wouldn't really say yes. But it demonstrates tHst you have a higher level of understanding when u do higher level subjects.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
I do Adv Sci at UNSW and no, there isn't an enormous difference between Adv and regular sci. True, you are required to take the advanced units where they're offered but there's only a handful of those units and in most cases, they aren't that enormously different to the regular unit (usually a couple of lectures, an assessment task or two, and sometimes a question or two in the final or the whole final exam are different). Adv Sci offers a SCIF internship in second or third year that you can take as a unit in any lab that agrees to take you, something which regular sci doesn't have. But, that being said, any science student still has access to other internship units like BABS3301, SOMS3001, etc as well as all of the summer vacation scholarships for the different schools. I will say though that Adv Sci streamlines your enrolment into honours. But you probably won't need to drop down from Adv to regular, it won't change that much, but its an easy change if need be. As to how easy it is to maintain a 70 or 75, that's almost impossible to say because some people find uni easier than high school, some find it harder.
If research is your end goal though, it's the internships/summer scholarships in undergrad, undergrad marks high enough to get into honours, and your honours mark that are what you need regardless of the uni or degree.

teequal

HSC
I do Adv Sci at UNSW and no, there isn't an enormous difference between Adv and regular sci. True, you are required to take the advanced units where they're offered but there's only a handful of those units and in most cases, they aren't that enormously different to the regular unit (usually a couple of lectures, an assessment task or two, and sometimes a question or two in the final or the whole final exam are different). Adv Sci offers a SCIF internship in second or third year that you can take as a unit in any lab that agrees to take you, something which regular sci doesn't have. But, that being said, any science student still has access to other internship units like BABS3301, SOMS3001, etc as well as all of the summer vacation scholarships for the different schools. I will say though that Adv Sci streamlines your enrolment into honours. But you probably won't need to drop down from Adv to regular, it won't change that much, but its an easy change if need be. As to how easy it is to maintain a 70 or 75, that's almost impossible to say because some people find uni easier than high school, some find it harder.
If research is your end goal though, it's the internships/summer scholarships in undergrad, undergrad marks high enough to get into honours, and your honours mark that are what you need regardless of the uni or degree.
Thanks a lot! I'll look into which universities offer the best internship and research opportunities and consult from there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)