Any chance to redeem my ATAR? (1 Viewer)

Cyclamatic

HSC
N/A
My trials were last week and due to personal reasons I pretty much bombed all of my exams with the exception 2Unit maths. Generally speaking, the mid-section of my cohort fluctuates a fair bit and these trials were worth 50% for us. And I'm pretty sure my ranking for most of these subjects have plummeted to at least the bottom ten.

I'm doing the following subjects:

- Extension 1 Maths
- Extension 1 English
- Biology
- Chemistry

Before the trials, my rank was around:
-18/30 in Chem
-15/30 in Extension English
-13/24 in Extension Maths
-9/45 in Biology
-50/120 in Advanced English
-9/60 in 2unit Maths

But as I said, my performance in my trials was honestly, the poorest I've done this school year, and I'm of pretty much no doubt I'm in the lower rank of most of my subjects now.

My school's rank fluctuates between 30s and 40s in the state.

If I manage to do well in my external exam is there a way to still get an ATAR around 95, or am I almost doomed?

D94

HSC
N/A
The median ATAR in a 30-60's ranked school is around 90. Given your ranks and school rank, you'd be looking at low-mid 90's ATAR.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
i went to a school ranked about 33, and i was in the middle of the cohort, for most subjects, and i got 91.70

so i dunno use that as a guide.

oh and my subs were 3unit math, adv english, bio, physics, and pe.

enoilgam

HSC
You are probably looking at low 90's at the moment, but with a strong external performance it is possible to push your ATAR up to 95.

Cyclamatic

HSC
N/A
How strong will strong have to be?

Not sure if this counts for anything, but my school is usually in the top 10 in the state for English. So my cohort for that subject is relatively strong.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Is this with consideration with the fact my trial marks are looking to be rather very poor?
Depends on how poor, we can't really tell with an estimate that's so broad. My poor is below rank 5/70 in Chemistry and Physics but my poor in English is below rank 80/150 while my poor in Maths (EXT 2) is below rank 25/31.

Based purely on what your results currently are, you need probably an average of ~88 aligned external marks but maybe 89+ if you actually do poorly in your trials.

inJust

HSC
In the words of Jackie Chan, "Life will knock us down, but we can choose whether or not to stand back up."

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Dude definitely still possible. Lucky that your cohort is strong, but perform well in externals and 95+ is still on the cards.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
This time last year I was in the same boat for some of my subjects. For Ancient history, I was ranked 1 for the entire year, and then in the CSSA's I get some horrible mark (by my standards at least). I got 87/100 and my rank went down to 2. I was upset about it, but I didn't get too concerned. I worked the hardest I've ever in my life during the lead up to the HSC. After graduation in September, till the HSC exams, I would put in 16 hours a day of study, learning all my ancient notes, memorising the content, doing past questions, etc.

I ended up getting 98/100 in my Ancient exam (and my friend got 97 and found out his raw mark was 95.5, which means I probably got 96 as my raw mark). My school wasn't ranked high, it was ranked in the late 70s last year. Don't worry about how bad you did...just concentrate on the future. I'm living my dream atm, doing the course I've always wanted to do, and only this time last year, I thought I could only dream of it. So, don't give up. A 95 ATAR is definitely achievable from here!

Now get off Bos and get to work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)