Any questions about the Bachelor of Commerce/Bachelor of Laws welcomed here. (1 Viewer)

gapathetic

HSC
If anyone has questions about studying the Bachelor of Commerce with the Bachelor of Laws, or just either one of them, i am happy to help you with your questions from a current student's perspective.

bouncingfire

HSC
I'm thinking of doing Commerce, majoring in either Information Systems or economics. What are the Maths requirements for both as I did not do maths in Yr12.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of doing Commerce, majoring in either Information Systems or economics. What are the Maths requirements for both as I did not do maths in Yr12.
There is no Information Systems major in the Bachelor of Commerce. You can find a list of the majors available here: http://www.courses.mq.edu.au/2012/Undergraduate/Degree/Bachelor+of+Commerce#WhatYouWillStudy

For the Economics major, you can visit this page and click on the individual unit codes and look at what is next to "pre-requisites" : http://www.courses.mq.edu.au/2012/Undergraduate/Major/Economics/ECO01#WhatYouWillStudy - there are generally very few pre-requisites for first year subjects, but having done certain subjects in high school will make it subject slightly easier for you when you are doing it. Even if you don't meet the pre-requisites, there are bridging courses. If you are concerned about not meeting the pre-requsites, you can get advice: http://bit.ly/tSCz7Z

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I plan to do Commerce only in the first year at MACQ as I did not get a high enough ATAR for COMM/LAW. What would my G.P.A need to be in order to get into law in 2nd year?

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey thanks so much for making this thread! :)

Well I didn't make the cutoff for Macq Combined Comm/Law based on last year's requirement of 95.9 (if my memory serves correct). Give or take a few points, I don't think I'll make it next year :L

So all I want to know, is that is it possible for the 'cutoff' to lower slightly during the 'second' and 'third' round course offers? Like for example, say if the main round cutoff was 95.9, is it possible for it to go down to 95.5 in the second/third round offers? (as I have heard of this from some people). Sorry for my ignorance because I don't know much about how cuttofs and offers work much from the basic accept and reject part.

I am actually qualified for EAS bonus points in Macquarie too and have an ATAR in high-ish 94s.

Thanks so much! :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Well I didn't make the cutoff for Macq Combined Comm/Law based on last year's requirement of 95.9 (if my memory serves correct). Give or take a few points, I don't think I'll make it next year :L

So all I want to know, is that is it possible for the 'cutoff' to lower slightly during the 'second' and 'third' round course offers? Like for example, say if the main round cutoff was 95.9, is it possible for it to go down to 95.5 in the second/third round offers? (as I have heard of this from some people). Sorry for my ignorance because I don't know much about how cuttofs and offers work much from the basic accept and reject part.

I am actually qualified for EAS bonus points in Macquarie too and have an ATAR in high-ish 94s.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=273307&p=5642963&viewfull=1#post5642963

gapathetic

HSC

Hi,

The answer to your question is YES. Taking last year's example, the cut off for comm/law in the main round was 95.9 but it increased to 95.95 in the second round. However, for applied finance/law, it was 97.55 in main round but 96.75 for the second round. So it works both ways. I suggest you put the course you want to do most at the top of your preferences before the main round offers.

Having said that, if this year doesn't work out, macquarie only requires a credit average to transfer into combined law after you've done at least one year of uni. If you've managed to get a 94+ ATAR, you can definitely get a credit average easily.

I'm not sure if Macquarie law takes bonus points into consideration, maybe you could ask them at info day tomorrow?

Good luck!!

rayy_bann

HSC
Hey thanks for the reply! Yeah I hope it will be favorable for me this year. And yes Macquarie does take EAS bonus points for disadvantage, so I'm hoping that somehow I will be able to make it as I have been qualified for these points. And yeah, I put macq as my top preferences, so fingers crossed! :) thanks again.

rayy_bann

HSC
Yes I'm qualified for EAS bonus points which Macquarie recognizes and I'm pretty sure applies to law courses as well. But yes you are right Law does not receive subject bonus/academic advantage points :) correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I got an offer! I'm stoked. So how is the course?

How hard was finding accomodation etc?
Congratulations!!! Which commerce major did you want to pick? You'll really enjoy the course, there's a lot of support and resources in the commerce side and there's a great close-knit bunch of students on the law side.

Macquarie University's own accommodation can be found here, alternatively, there are also lots of rooms advertised on campus in the lead up to the start of semester.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Could I do applied finance/commerce in first year and maybe commerce/law in second year or applied finance/law? Is that possible at MACQ??

Macq. has a very beautiful campus also :p, I would love going there since the location is pretty close also for me.

gapathetic

HSC
Could I do applied finance/commerce in first year and maybe commerce/law in second year or applied finance/law? Is that possible at MACQ??

Macq. has a very beautiful campus also :p, I would love going there since the location is pretty close also for me.
There are the options of commerce/law or applied finance/law as the combined degrees, both of which you can complete in 5 years. You could start off with commerce/law and then internal transfer later on to applied finance/law if you wish, or vice versa. I've done that myself. Both commerce and applied finance have pretty much the same first year subjects (with some exceptions).

ameher

HSC
I want to major in Human Resources.. but that's not set in stone as of yet. I will be very open minded the first year

Also, I am moving to Sydney from regional NSW, which is why I asked about accommodation. Is there much part time work available? The accommodation/work aspect it worrying me
Some good part time retail jobs available at macquarie centre which is a massive shopping complex 5mins walk from campus with stores like myer and jb hi fi.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
I want to major in Human Resources.. but that's not set in stone as of yet. I will be very open minded the first year

Also, I am moving to Sydney from regional NSW, which is why I asked about accommodation. Is there much part time work available? The accommodation/work aspect it worrying me
Your first year is mainly core units so that should give you time to think about what major you want to do.

There's a good deal of part-time work available, but the key is always looking out for it: ameher's suggestion is good - there are lots of students who look there, you can also consider finding work on campus, or in the surrounding suburbs since transport around Macquarie is pretty good. Don't let that worry you too much, a tip with work/study though - make sure you plan ahead so you know when you have assessments due so you can work around them.

sanndiiee

HSC
Hello. I got offered a position in the commerce- professional accounting degree and need a bit of advice. I was just wondering if it mattered which units I put down for 1st session and 2nd. Do any of the units correlate whereby some of the content learnt in one unit might make it a bit easier to understand another unit???? There are 7 compulsory units and these are ACCG100-accounting 1A, ACCG101-accounting 1B, ACST101-techniques and elements of finance, BBA102-principles of management, ECON111-microeconomic principles, MKTG101-marketing fundamentals and STAT170-introductory statistics. Any advice on which I should do first session considering I didn't do business studies in high school only economics???????

HSC
Hey, when doing the double degree in commerce and law are you missing out on any subjects regarding the law degree? Are you any less qualified with law?
Sorry no one has ever really explained this to me?
Thankyou!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)