Any way to find out what textbooks we need in advance? (1 Viewer)

AVY

HSC
So yeah, this is part of my New Year's resolution - to be more organised.
I finished HS last year and I will be starting at UNSW this year as an UG.. Is there any way to find out the detailed course outlines and the textbooks needed in advance? All my searching has proved futile :cry:
I do have one textbook,which I managed to find on the UNSW site but that's an exception. Oh, and if it helps, I'm doing Law/Arts

THANK YOU :smile:

sirable1

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm in a same dilemma as well...

I think with the Co-op bookstore (I don't know about UNSW bookstore though), we type in a unit code into the search preference and it will show up a or a list of textbooks for that particular unit. Even so, it's probably best to wait until the first week of uni starts because we're not exactly sure what's really needed after the lectures/tutors tell us which books they would recommend.

findsome1

HSC
The UNSW bookstore will release the prescribed/recommended textbooks for your subjects through the texlist on the UNSW bookshop website close to the Semester 1 starting date. They are also usually found in the course outlines (found on your faculties webpage).

Many people find that it is a good idea to wait for a few weeks into the course to decide if they need the course book though. Your lecturer will also probably recommend some textbooks.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Every uni has the Co-op bookstore. But definitely wait for uni to start - sometimes the sites can be outdated or lecturers will tell you that the textbook is not really neccesary. Alternatively you may hear from friends that the subject is a complete bludge and to stay away from buying the textbook.

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
The UNSW bookshop (www.bookshop.unsw.edu.au) will update closer to the semester starting for the textbooks you need.

As many people have suggested, wait till you actually start uni to see whether courses will be highly dependant on the texts or not.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Even textbooks that are mandatory you can get away with not buying.

D94

HSC
N/A
Currently, the Bookshop is only updated for the summer session, so you'll need to wait a bit.

AVY

HSC
Thanks everyone for your helpful advice! I feel a bit better now :3

Riachain

HSC
Uni Grad
Like everyone said, it's usually better to just wait until the semester starts to see which books are actually needed. But a few weeks before it starts, a course outline should be released for each class. That course outline will have the list of books that you'll need to buy for the course. I recommend taking a look at that, in case you really do want to get the books before the semester starts. ;)

SayWut

HSC
I'm in a same dilemma as well...

I think with the Co-op bookstore (I don't know about UNSW bookstore though), we type in a unit code into the search preference and it will show up a or a list of textbooks for that particular unit. Even so, it's probably best to wait until the first week of uni starts because we're not exactly sure what's really needed after the lectures/tutors tell us which books they would recommend.
Ideally you do NOT want to buy a brand new textbook from the UNSW bookstore, it's overpriced as hell. Try second hand books at http://www.facebook.com/groups/297536456992249/, it'll save you a lot of money.

HSC
Uni Grad
If possible try your hardest to rip textbooks off the net. I got the US version of the FINS1613 textbook, same questions, same content, everything is the same.

The internet is heaps good, where would I be without it? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)