Anyone bum out like me?? (1 Viewer)

dimsum86

i would have been estactic with a UAI of 75-80
all my prefernces are under 90 except one which was a wildcard (just incase i got 90+)

Ellie-Bee

HSC
my marks were ok but my UAI was heaps low. i got all band 4s 'cept for a band 5. and then my UAI was lower than all my marks. i cried for the most part of yesterday. not cool.

Rory

HSC
I feel your pain :( I got a uai of like 52.. and my marks were like 60, 68, 65, 71, 77 and 73 - *sighs* my mother is working on talking to all the unis and stuff to get me in on disadvantage though, this guy we talked to at UAC is gonna help her.

dimsum86

Well, all i can say is, just because u didn't get into Uni the first time DOESN"T MEAN YOUR LIFE IS OVER!

Godamit, i'm so sick of people saying "u must get into uni"

Rory

HSC
^ I want to go to Uni though; I can't stand tafe, don't want to have to re-do the hsc and I don't particularly feel I can wait a year..

Chang

HSC
yeah i did pretty shit as well. im not too sure wot my UAI is but i fink its around 65

my scores were:
standard english - 69/100
physics - 69/100
information technology exam - 72/100
ext 1 maths - 28/50
maths - 81/100
economics - 70/100

wot really pissed me off is that last yr i did the hsc exam for 2u / ext maths and scored higher results.

i fink the maths exams this yr were rigged

somechick

HSC
N/A
Oh hugs all round. I Dont know any of you but im sure u all tried really hard (and thats not being patronising or anything-its genuine). So i salute you. Its probably the subjects-they dont appreciate how much work goes into creative subjects like DT and art. I spent a years worth of sweat, tears and emotional pain for my major work in DT.

And yeah uni is shite anyway...im so worried im gonna be homeless by the time i finish because uni fees are rising so much. Bloody govt. WHO the hell votes for JOhn howard.

pc_wizz

ρ s y c н o ρ α τ н ™
HSC
all of you shouldnt be ashamed ... u all are recieving the HSC which is recognised everywhere, and there are heaps of ways of gettin into uni, so dont worry, if it means spending one extra year doin HSC@TAFE or doin a mature age entry, if uni is what you want there is always a way to get in.

Just be proud that you made it through 13 years of education, and you will have attained a HSC ... :)

brookalyn

HSC
THERES ALWAYS A BACK DOOR GUYS!!
Don't get down on yourselves a friend of mine got just over 40 as a uai, she deserved so much better and so does everyone here!! As one door closes another opens!! And everyone is right when they say there is more than one way to get into uni!! Not to mention TAFE provides an excellent education too!!!
*hugs to everyone*

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Ellie-Bee said:
my marks were ok but my UAI was heaps low. i got all band 4s 'cept for a band 5. and then my UAI was lower than all my marks. i cried for the most part of yesterday. not cool.
pretty much same as me. except i thought my hsc marks were decent, then my UAI was way lower than i needed. i got two band 5's, two 4's & one 3. i cried too. it doesn't help that the rest of your friends all got UAI's 75+, and they complain that it's not good enough.

dimsum86 said:
Well, all i can say is, just because u didn't get into Uni the first time DOESN"T MEAN YOUR LIFE IS OVER!
No, it doesn't, but failing to get your desired UAI would still make you feel heaps disappointed. I've known exactly what i've wanted to do at uni for ages.. tafe, college etc wasn't something i ever thought of. and the whole "doing 1 yr at tafe then transferring to uni" thing just seems like such a waste of time/effort.

ChrisE

HSC
i wouldnt get bummed over a uai of around 50, even going pretty well in all your subjects would get you something like that. its not a measure of who you are or how smart you are. to those who got in the 50's, im sure you will be succesful in life and do what you want, and even show up some of those 90+ people even those in the 40's and less than 30's keep on going and be proud that you did the hsc, work hard in life and success will come:)

Last edited:

somechick

HSC
N/A
Yeah exactly. My friend's boyfriend got like 40 or something and he only had to raise his marks at tafe, and long story short he's now doing law at uni, which requires a uai of 99. People who are determined are more likely to succeed if they have been through trials, than people who just get handed a ticket. Employers respect those who have had more experience in their field.
And anyway at uni, i've heard from like a million people that no one gives a damn about your uai, its the GPA that matters.
My sister's friend didnt do as she planned in the hsc but now she has a GPA of 4 (which she tells me is the highest anyone can get).

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Rory I don't like your chances. Not even any of the access schemes would improve your UAI. Talking to unis won't help you since you only got 52. Your best chance is tafe, get good marks, then transfer

Jacks

HSC
somechick said:
And anyway at uni, i've heard from like a million people that no one gives a damn about your uai, its the GPA that matters.
My sister's friend didnt do as she planned in the hsc but now she has a GPA of 4 (which she tells me is the highest anyone can get).
That is exactly right, I'm at uni atm, just finished first year and I can tell you that no one cares about anyone's UAI...even when I spoke to someone from UAC last year they agreed that your UAI means nothing after like the first week. I have a lot of friends who didn't get the UAIs they needed to get into uni who did go to tafe and are now there. You may think it's a waste of time, though I don't understand that logic if you get where you want to be in the end. It only took one of my friends one semester at tafe to get into uni, so my advice is work hard at tafe, but most importantly never think it's a waste of time, because with that attitude you've failed before you even try.

I'm not too sure about the highest GPA being 4 though...is it different at different unis? I wouldn't think so but maybe someone else can clear that up. After my first year I have a GPA of 5.75...I think the highest is 7??? That is of course for courses that get graded fail, pass, credit, distinction and HD...for those that just receive a pass or fail mark it might be different.
hd=7 d=6 c=5 p=4 - to calculate your GPA you add those numbers which correspond to your marks and then divide them by the number of subjects you did...though that is besides the point...the main point being, for those of you who didn't get a UAI high enough for any uni course, tafe is your best option...unless you find a better alternative...good luck!

Last edited:

Annegelic

Taper jean girl
HSC
Jacks said:
That is exactly right, I'm at uni atm, just finished first year and I can tell you that no one cares about anyone's UAI...even when I spoke to someone from UAC last year they agreed that your UAI means nothing after like the first week. I have a lot of friends who didn't get the UAIs they needed to get into uni who did go to tafe and are now there. You may think it's a waste of time, though I don't understand that logic if you get where you want to be in the end. It only took one of my friends one semester at tafe to get into uni, so my advice is work hard at tafe, but most importantly never think it's a waste of time, because with that attitude you've failed before you even try.
Well yeah, once you're in uni your UAI probably doesn't mean anything. But you need that UAI to actually GET IN. So therefore, it's important.

Does it really take as little as 1 semester to transfer ? Your tafe course would have to be related to your uni course to transfer, right ?

Jacks

HSC
Annegelic said:
Well yeah, once you're in uni your UAI probably doesn't mean anything. But you need that UAI to actually GET IN. So therefore, it's important.
Yes in that respect it is, so you have that in mind when you are studying for your exams during the year...but the point is if u don't get your desired UAI you have to then focus your energies on getting into uni through other means i.e tafe. So important or not a bad UAI doesn't = no uni. That being said uni isn't the only option.

I'm not all that sure about tafe as I went straight to uni from yr.12...I'm not sure what my friend studied at tafe only that she was at the same uni as me, doing a different course 2nd semester this year. Doing something related at tafe if possible would be advantageous but these are things people who didn't do as well as expected should now start exploring. You could take a year off to work while accessing your options...but keep enquiring, u might be able to sort something out! Don't give up, that's the main thing...:)

spleen

If my mark was 0.85 below the cut off for last year, whats the chance that they'll let me in? This is at UNE and SCU. Should I call up and ask for an interview or something? If so, should I ask for one ASAP or after the main round offers?

Jacks

HSC
ummm UNE courses aren't generally in high demand so your chances of getting in may be better there than at many other unis. It is hard to say whether cuttoffs will go up or down...but if you're really worried it won't hurt to contact them now...they may very well tell you to wait and see, but at least you can put your mind to rest a bit...no harm in being too eager so get in contact with them and ask the same questions you're asking here!! :) They'd be more equipped to answer them than me...Good luck!

69^boi

HSC
N/A
other ways to uni??
so
1. if i drop out out of school & dont complete the HSC
2. wait till im 21
3. n apply 4 sum course....wil that work?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)