Anyone chosing Aviation? (1 Viewer)

HSC
James747 said:
Hmm... thats interesting. i have never heard of elective courses in aviation. I thought everything was be set out by the ICAO (or wuteva organistion) as to wut u needa do for flying licences. A helicopter licence sounds... well, abit useless if he wants to fly planes. :p O well, i'm not too sure on my information..
that is wrong

hours done in rotorcraft can count to about 1/4 of airline minimums..thats for
PIC..and can be fully counted in TT if it doesnt ask for fixed wing only..

James747

HSC
clairebear24 said:
heya
I'm a girl in yr 10 looking at doing aviation next year at ultimo. is there anyone still on here who knows what this course is like? my parents are totally against me doing a tvet course, and I want to try and convince them that it's worthwhile. I want to do aero engineering at university. If anyone can help, any info at all, that'd be greatly appreciated.
thanks, Claire
i done one year aviation at ultimo when i was in yr 11. i found the course quite boring actually... we done two topics: meteorology and navigation. meteorology is incredibly boring, everyone went to sleep every lesson! ... navigation is abit better cuz its much more practical (u draw flight paths, work out air speed, etc etc). yr 12 gets much more interesting though, according to my fd who still does it, u do Basic Aeronatic Knowledge and this other topic. if ur looking to really get something out of the course, then make sure ur gonna be motivated to work cuz -for me- the class was not the slightest bit motivated! every1 went just to bludge half a days skool... in the end, i ended up being the only one passing both exams in one sitting (u get formal transcripts btw if u pass the exam). other than that, the teachers are great... they make sure the exams dont clash with skool exam period and are all pilots (active and retired).

James747

HSC
xXmuffin0manXx said:
umm..you do know that Australia is experiencing a pilot shortage? and that
its quite easy to get a commercial job in a cessena 172 > to caravan in the
outback..

degrees will play little or no part at all in selection process for airlines.the only thing it may be good for is that it shows your dedicated..ive got my own career path as a pilot set out so i may be wrong..

apart from that..you shouldnt really be expecting an airline job till you get 2000+ total time with about 500 instrument and multi..that'll take you about
5 years ? where you'll stay as a SO for 2-5 years..then to a FO for another 5-10 years then to Cpt.

btw..there are pilot jobs advertised in the australian every friday..

oh yeah i forgot..pilot shortage may be over soon coz of the escalating fuel prices..

AND..now for my question
i never knew that there was a VET course for aviation and i just realised now..lol so id like ask whether you guys have the course offered through school? if not..is it possible to still get into aviation vet? and how much it is if there are any costs associated with this..

also..i just read that for 2007, it was on tuesday 1:30 to 5:30..that would mean i would have to miss some school on tuesday..is that right ?

thanks =]
firstly, a degree will make u more competitive in the selection process so it does help. also, it can help later if u intend to take managment or executive roles.

and to answer ur question, there is a vet course for aviation and u can do it through tafe at ultimo and this one other campus. there are no costs for gov skool students. from memory, i believe it is from 130 to 530, so yes, u will hav to miss out skool and catch up urself.

HSC
so should i talk to my careers advisor abt this or
am i supposed to arrange it with the principal?

i havent been to school in a week so i havent
been able to ask around

James747

HSC
ur careers adviser will arrange ur enrolment into tafe for u

HSC
thanks..had a chat to him over the phone today
and he's just worried that ill have to miss a period
every tuesday..

James747

HSC
nah, ull be fine... it didnt bother me much when i was missing class every tuesday

HSC
okay.i should be able to catch up anyway..
its getting organised with my careers advisor
which will hopefully be approved by deputy
then i just hope that there enough people in sydney
who want to do the course so it doesnt get scrapped

James747

HSC
classes run at quite small sizes actually, there were only about 10 or so in my class... unlikely that classes wont run..

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
My uncle is a Cargolux 747-400F pilot and my dad is an ex-Polar air cargo pilot and he recommends me, before to take up aviation to get a degree in another field. Aviation is very sensitive field not only in terms of the medical certificate, but if you did loose your job, you would be really struggling to get back on track.

But, if you guys do need anymore information about aviation, i will pass on the message.

James747

HSC
Triple777ER said:
My uncle is a Cargolux 747-400F pilot and my dad is an ex-Polar air cargo pilot and he recommends me, before to take up aviation to get a degree in another field. Aviation is very sensitive field not only in terms of the medical certificate, but if you did loose your job, you would be really struggling to get back on track.

But, if you guys do need anymore information about aviation, i will pass on the message.
just wondering, do they hav degrees themselves?

HSC
they probably dont..only coz degrees were useless back then..and not much different today ><;;

although..im not saying you shouldnt go get one coz what he said abt aviation being a sensitive field is absolutely correct..if you failed a medical and didnt have insurance then you would be quite screwed..

degrees will only help you if you are in real close competition (same TT & IF, ATPL's all done, perhaps a MECIR etc and that)..then they may choose you for an interview over the others coz you've shown commitment towards a particular study..

but if there is a 27yr with a uni degree and wth 1200TT and a 21 year old with 2000TT..the airlines would choose the 21 year old over the 27 because of

so really think about it if u want to go get a degree in aviation as u previously mentioned..coz they're abt $80 000 which could easily get just a non-uni student more hours, in one year with a bot left over NVR, MECIR and possibily some ATPL's done..alhough at 21 that doesnt seem likely..

im just curious but were you always thinking of going to uni to get the degree for aviation coz my dad said it wasnt worth much during pysch, sim and interviews and he's a pilot @ korean air..

anyway..just my two cents

edit..sorry had to rearrange some of the words =]

Last edited:

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
James747 said:
just wondering, do they hav degrees themselves?
yeah, my uncle just got hired by Cargolux last month, before he used to work for polar air cargo. My uncle has a degree in aviation from university and a degree of Information Technology. He says any degree is fine.

I prefer to start my training at a local flying school, Aerospace aviation. Pretty sure it would be after university but until then, just part time flying during university.

HSC
Hey mate, im in yr 12 now also wanting to become a commercial pilot. I dont think that Aviation degree at UNSW is a good idea if you want to become a pilot. I knew several people who work at Qantas and they told me its not such a good idea because you will never know how things turn out down the track, they advised me to do an engineering degree then do hours incase the hole pilot thing dosent work out. Also Qantas do offer a Cadet Pilot program, I applied for it this year and was selected to conducted stage 2 selections on August 19th, if you dont wanna stuff around and get into an airline quick, Cadet programs are the way to go, their are plenty of airlines that offer them, im not sure if Qantas one is open anymore this yr coz selections have already been made for stage 2, though Rex have theirs open all year round, so do Cathay Pacific and also Etihad Airways had theirs open till the end of this year. Anyways mate good luck with it all.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
Would you mind sharing what they did in stage 1? was it the interview process?

And what subjects are you doing this year?

Last edited:
HSC
Triple777ER said:
Would you mind sharing what they did in stage 1? was it the interview process?

And what subjects are you doing this year?
Stage one is a bit of a tricky one for Qantas coz everyone from Australia who wants to join as a Cadet applies and only a certain number are invited for stage 2. Stage one is based on the Subjects you do at school or at Uni, your personal attributes, references, resume and a brief explanation of why you want to join Qantas. After assessing all the people they that have sent their applications in, they pick the most competitive application for a short listing where they once again evaluate it, this continues for a few weeks and during that time you may receive a phone call from Qantas to have a quick chat to you over the phone to see your personality and also gives you the opportunity to express to them how much you want it and what your will to do. Remember they want people who know this is what they want 100%, they don't want cadets who are unsure and not committed. Once they have selected the people they want they will invite you to stage 2 selections, mine are on the 19th so its pretty soon ill let you know how that goes. If you need to know anything else just let me know and ill see what i can do for ya champ

Oh and im doing Mathematics, English, Physics, Ancient History, and PDHPE

Last edited:

James747

HSC
Cathay cadets are open to hong kong permanent residents only, as is dragonairs... but that'll probably disappear soon. Etihad's one is good, but open to everyone in the whole world so you can imagine how competitive it will be. :S Singapore airlines also have their cadets but are open to hkg and singapore (maybe malaysia?) residents only. All these programs are sponsored by the airline... unlike qantas where you hav to pay for all of it...but anyway.... hav u got any hints for the application? what sort of stuff should there be in the application to make it stand out, and hopefully get u onto stage 2? also, whats the phone interview like? thnx

HSC
James747 said:
Cathay cadets are open to hong kong permanent residents only, as is dragonairs... but that'll probably disappear soon. Etihad's one is good, but open to everyone in the whole world so you can imagine how competitive it will be. :S Singapore airlines also have their cadets but are open to hkg and singapore (maybe malaysia?) residents only. All these programs are sponsored by the airline... unlike qantas where you hav to pay for all of it...but anyway.... hav u got any hints for the application? what sort of stuff should there be in the application to make it stand out, and hopefully get u onto stage 2? also, whats the phone interview like? thnx

In the application their are sections where you fill out online, just basic stuff, they will ask you about achievements, best thing to do is try and list every achievement you have done, even if you think it might be a little lame, this sections dosent just include academic, so list down sporting of whatever. Then their is a section on your hobbies, I'm guessing if your willing to apply for an airline you have some airplane hobbies, like building model planes or so, or even list down that you play flight sim, and if you don't list them then just list the hobbies your into. Then their is a question, something like "Why do you want to become a pilot with Qantas", Just wright out something honest in this section, let them know what you fell about this opportunity and how your love for aviation first started. Then their is a section asking about if you wanna add anything to your application, just right something like " I would like to have this opportunity to work with a professional team in an environment ........ " something like that and wrap it off with something like " I look forward to the opportunity of further discussing a possible future with Qantas Airways". And then their is a section which lets you upload a resume, I suggest that you do upload one because in stage 2 you have to bring that along with you again, get someone to help you with it, I got my careers adviser and luckily for me I know of a few people who work at Qantas that gave me some help in writing it out. Apart from those things the rest is just straight forward stuff. Now in regards to the telephone conversation, its not a guarantee that you will be called up, the only time that they will is when you have been shortlisted and your in competition with another like 10 people who have been shortlisted or something so they call you guys up and see whose got better personality and who can express themselves abit better than the other, just be honest on the phone and don't freak out, talk normally not fast or slow and just be yourself pritty much, and all should go well.

If you need anything just let us know bro.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)