Anyone in same prob with formulas (1 Viewer)

kitty_n08

HSC
N/A
MAN... its 2 days before the HSC, ive been studying heaps for maths esp... but somehow.. cannot remember all the formulas despite all efforts

ive been rewriting them, making summaries, practicing ><

anyone got any last minute solutions?

thanks heaps for reading

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
when you're doing past papers, do you write the formulas down before you start the question? i find that helps. also some formulas can be made to be more easily remembered (eg. Simpson's Rule- h/3[end values+FOTE] (FOTE= four odd, two even)

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC
also 'flashcards' may help. WRite the formulas you're having the most trouble remembering on cards, and get a friend to est you

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I guess its a bit too late now, but my general tip would be to understand the formulae and how they work, that way memorisation will be much easier, and if you do forget them you can derive them.

Simple way to do simpson's and trapezoidal rules:

Trapezoidal:
....c............h.............2...............2h
....d............i..............2...............2i
....e............j.............1................j

draw a table like that up each time, then add the values in the K*f(x) column, and multiply them by the difference between each of your x values, divided by 2 ie (b-a)/2

And for simpson's rule you K column should read 1, 4 , 2, 4, 1, and you multiply at the end by (b-a)/3

This way theres really not much messy formula memorisation, just have to have a basic idea of what the table is, and what the values in the K column are:)

KungPow

HSC
Yeah what SarahMary said is good advice. Write the formula when you do questions every time. Just get used to doing that and you'll remember the formula, if not on it's own, then at least when you come across a similar question.

corro

HSC
with the person that said the simpsons rule, if you say 'TOFE' its easier to remember, h/3[(f+l) + "toffee"]

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
he said FOTE not TOFE
i hate the simpsons rule
ppl r making me question the rule i know

mishka

HSC
N/A
and for simpson's rule it's h/3 because homer had 3 kids.

i always seem to remember formulas if they have little stories or something behind them. it's strange, but it works!! :) good luck with everything!

miffytoki

HSC
if u do enuff questions u get used to the formulas...i only have problems remember surface area formulas for circles but i just look them over just before exam...say them allowed..that always helps me memorise stuff

to remember simpsons tho just remember its
h/3(F(a) + 4odds +2 evens) i remember this cos theres always more odd ppl in life than normal (therefore 4 cos its larger than 2) and 2 is the first even number so times that by the even...

to rememebr trapezoidal its based on the original area of a trapezoid (1/2 x h x (a+b)) and cos the formula calculates its area using an even number of subintervals than i just remember that the numbers inbetween F(a) and F(b) are times by 2...so trapezoidal = h/2(f(a) +F(b) + 2(everything else))

these are my weird ways....i know they might be confusing to u all (i'm rereading my message and i don't think it makes much sense) but anyway....

Will_Sparky

Left BOS 8/7/2005...
HSC
Be able to derive the formula's. Like, area of a triangle is half the area of a square so thats what it is. But i guess those arn't the formula's your talking aobut. But I managed to learn all my area ones recently, i was having major issues with them, simply by doing that!

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
S.R = (b-a)/6 [f(1) + 4f(2) + f(3)]

Isn't that the simpson's rule?

and

T.R = 1/2 [f(1) + 2f(2) + 2f(3) + f(4)]

I have no idea what you guys are talking about...

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
eh the differing formulas in text books screwed me so I used fatmuscle's formula
repeat for how ever many sets of three values they give you for SR
I realise I do not make sense.
Jago I get you on the TR but not the simpson's...

HSC
bloodysunday said:
hey grim, that pic is from "nightmare before christmas" hey? i love that movie! i hadnt seen it in ages until recently. nice little animation :D
yea, i love that movie too! :D :D I downloaded it from the net not long ago :p

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
b is the top limit and a is the bottom limit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)