Anyway I can get into a Bachelor of Science with general maths (1 Viewer)

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Hi
I do mathematics atm and I hate it, im terrible at it and have no interest in it.Is their anyway to get into a B of Sci with doing general maths cause I know mathematics will bring my UAI down.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
You can get into a B.sci with any combination of courses. You simply need the required UAI

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Then will I struggle in the degree if I dont do mathematics?

What are your sources of information?

44Ronin

HSC
If it ever becomes an issue, your university will provide bridging units.

These bridging units are taught all year round including holidays. Often they are night courses too.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
Shoom said:
Then will I struggle in the degree if I dont do mathematics?
Depends on your major. You can do bridging courses, but if you really "hate" mathematics you'll want to avoid physics, mathematics and probablly chemistry.

That leaves biology, geology, environmental, psychology, marine, geography etc... Keep in mind, in all majors (and indeed most uni degrees), there is at least a basic statistics component, and possibly some calculus.

Shoom said:
What are your sources of information?
Log onto the website of the uni's you're considering and read the course outline/degree rules, they'll explain everything.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah depends what you major in. I did Gen Maths in the HSC, and when I graduated I got into a BSc Majoring in Earth Science (like spatial geography) and the maths was pretty hard ...

Doing MedSc now and the maths is fine. There is a compulsory stats subject which they say requires 3U as a prerequisit but meh, it's fairly standard stuff.

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
u can do a b. science dep. on what uai u get and what uni u want to g2. bridging courses are also for ppl who have done minimal science/maths etc in high school

Shoom

HSC
N/A
Here are my current subjects

mathematics
chemistry
biology
physics
adv english
sor 1

I have no problem with any of my subject except maths.

Now, the problem is convincing my family let me do general maths.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
screw your parents man, there is no point doing a subject you hate

it defeats the purpose of doing the hsc

it's entirely possible to do science at uni with gen maths

Shoom

HSC
N/A
See the thing is im not sure which is better in terms of marks at then end.

Getting avg in mathematics ( 50% ) or something like 75% in gen maths which will scaled down.

So stuck :(

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
Obviously stay away from mathmatically based courses like (maths, chem, physics, engineering etc), but there are plenty of other areas (like social sciences) that don't require any major level of maths. I study earth sciences that has limited maths. There are alot of students there who only did general maths and have done fine.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
davo is right in a way. if you struggle massively with high school maths. it means your in trouble when it comes to uni maths.

Morbo

HSC
Most Science majors (obviously not Mathematics) only require you to do 12 units (some only 6 units) of Maths courses in first year. If you're interested in science, try Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences (calculations in first year are almost identical to high school chemistry) or maybe Psychology.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Yeah, Biology as a major doesn't involve a lot of maths. As previously mentioned, you'll be required to do stats, but I found Gen Maths was adequate for Stats because you learn the basics in the subject anyway.

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
wrong_turn said:
davo is right in a way. if you struggle massively with high school maths. it means your in trouble when it comes to uni maths.
agreed, if you have no ability or interest in maths, a bridging course won't really be beneficial. Might aswell do a course aligned to your interests.

KnifeySpoony

HSC
Okay atm i'm interested in doing a course in the health sciences area..possibly radiation therapy or something but whatever.
Anyway are courses in this area do-able with general maths? or should i jst do a bridging course?

EdmondDW

HSC
Morbo said:
Most Science majors (obviously not Mathematics) only require you to do 12 units (some only 6 units) of Maths courses in first year. If you're interested in science, try Biological Sciences, Chemical Sciences (calculations in first year are almost identical to high school chemistry) or maybe Psychology.
Actually, I think math is the easiest subject to get a very high mark (but also easy to fail...), the only thing u need to do is just keeping doing practise, after every lecture...

And I don't agree chemical and biological science don't need too much math...If u really want to go for research...analytical chem, physical chem is all for math...also for modern biology...It is no longer just collecting organisms...u use eigen matrix or proper function to build immunology system, u use geometrical knowledge to get the structure of virus...

Anyway, math is the core of the whole science...we can't feel that because we just touch the surface of science~:apig:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)