Application Guide for med/dent to Oz (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
No that's the harshest penalty, imposed on those who default.

I'd check my contract but it's in Sydney.

Zali

HSC
velox said:
They only sound as dodgy as your knowledge about them. If you know what you are getting into they seem pretty good especially MRBS.
Like i said i dont have a problem with the MRBS ones and ill apply for those. Its just the contracts of the normal bonded ones are pretty restrictive but with out the same benefits as the MRBS

The ausmed site also said that the bonded ones aren't that great

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Zali said:
Like i said i dont have a problem with the MRBS ones and ill apply for those. Its just the contracts of the normal bonded ones are pretty restrictive but with out the same benefits as the MRBS

The ausmed site also said that the bonded ones aren't that great
The AusMedStudent site didn't say anything of the sort. However, people on the site did; and you should always be wary of what strangers with a keyboard tell you. Just because something is said on a reputable medium (like the AMS forum) does not mean it was said by a reputable person.

Zali

HSC
Here's why the scheme is a disaster for students:

A FAIRER MEDICARE - BONDED MEDICAL SCHOOL PLACES

Bonding HECS based medical student places represents a fundamental change to the higher education system.

• Access to public higher education under the HECS arrangements has been based on merit and has offered students from a range of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds the opportunity for a tertiary education.

• The Government’s bonding proposal for medical students requires students to enter into onerous contractual obligations that will impact on them for 15 - 19 years simply to obtain a university place.

• Medicine is the only degree that is subject to these bonds. This is unfair and the contract conditions represent a significant departure from the merit principle for access to public higher education.

• Students who for whatever reason fail to meet the bond obligation will be required to pay the Government the full cost of a private fee paying medical school place plus interest. This could amount to over $120,000 – even though the doctor will be providing valuable medical services to the community.

The bonded places are not the same as those currently offered to doctors by the military or to teachers in the past. Bonded medical students will not receive a scholarship or any other benefit compared to un-bonded places.

• This is not a scholarship scheme. No benefit beyond the university place itself is being offered by the Government.

sorry it wasnt on the ausmed site but if you want to read the full story go to
http://www.nswama.com.au/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=177&op=page&SubMenu=

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
And yes, these are the cons of the scheme. Somewhat depressing to think that if for any reason you "break the rules" you are at the complete mercy of the minister of the day (Federal Minister for Health).

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Zali said:
Here's why the scheme is a disaster for students:

A FAIRER MEDICARE - BONDED MEDICAL SCHOOL PLACES

Bonding HECS based medical student places represents a fundamental change to the higher education system.

• Access to public higher education under the HECS arrangements has been based on merit and has offered students from a range of socio-economic and cultural backgrounds the opportunity for a tertiary education.

• The Government’s bonding proposal for medical students requires students to enter into onerous contractual obligations that will impact on them for 15 - 19 years simply to obtain a university place.

• Medicine is the only degree that is subject to these bonds. This is unfair and the contract conditions represent a significant departure from the merit principle for access to public higher education.

• Students who for whatever reason fail to meet the bond obligation will be required to pay the Government the full cost of a private fee paying medical school place plus interest. This could amount to over $120,000 – even though the doctor will be providing valuable medical services to the community.

The bonded places are not the same as those currently offered to doctors by the military or to teachers in the past. Bonded medical students will not receive a scholarship or any other benefit compared to un-bonded places.

• This is not a scholarship scheme. No benefit beyond the university place itself is being offered by the Government.

sorry it wasnt on the ausmed site but if you want to read the full story go to
http://www.nswama.com.au/index.php?option=displaypage&Itemid=177&op=page&SubMenu=
plus no-one likes to mix and live with country bogans. :rolleyes:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
velox said:
plus no-one likes to mix and live with country bogans. :rolleyes:
(first post for this page)

Actually it is almost universally agreed that the rural clinical schools (normally in Med V) are the most enjoyable time spent in medical school.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeh i wasn't serious. I was a country boy at one stage. Im one of the few people in my extended family to live in the city. Wouldn't mind moving to the country for a bit.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Interesting, that I was born and raised in what is as close to "city" as Australia will ever get, and have now willingly become a country boy.

Zali

HSC
Im not bagging out the scheme i'm just pointing out that its not as great as it first sounds and many people would just listen to what u guys say with out realising the full extent of they are getting in to. I realise that heaps of people dont hav a problem with it and thats fine but I don't like being locked into a contract when i'm going to work in the country any way unless i'm getting something for it like the MRBS. I no it sounds strange but thats just how i feel. Besides im defering next year and you cant defer bonded places, at UNSW anyway i dont no about the others.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes you can. Half the point is that if you get a bonded place, unless you're like me and have little shot you should defer it and try for a CSP in the next bunch.

Maybe this is not the case at UNSW, but it is at many other universities.

Zali

HSC
i hav just as much passion as you to study medicine just i unlike you don't hav parents who could pay off the debt. (velox)

You definately cant defer bonded places at unsw but thats good about other unis then

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yes but if i was offered that i would take it on the assumption that my parents wont pay it off. Heck i haven't even asked. You can't compare passion for something over an internet forum :rolleyes:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
What's this about parents paying for stuff? I think that's an idea for a thread.

[goes off to write thread]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)