architecture vs. civil engineering (1 Viewer)

daman

HSC
bump. could someone with any knowldege on the topic answer my earlier posts about my interests and what career they would be ideal for.

williamycai

Kai-Kai
HSC
Which uni is more noted for architecture, syd or nsw? Can't make up my mind...like everyone else

T-mac01

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
Architects design the buildings to look pretty, civil engineers are there to say "no, fuck off, that won't work"
This is a serious question.
Is the guy in your avatar you? Coz I can't help feeling the urge to punch his face coz he just looks so annoying. Again, I don't mean to start a conflict. Just something that has bothered me since you used that pic awhile ago.

xxPanDa

HSC
cyko said:
hey buddy,

i was in the same situation as u last year
stuck between civil or architecture.
in the end i chose architecture, because i still dwell on this belief that i can broaden myself past an architect into project management and such.
i think it'll be harder the other way around, but despite what everyone says about architect, that it's all artsy fartsy, is true.

doing this course, i consider myself a freak nowdays, and so do the many other people whom walk by watching me lying on the concrete takign a picture of a pin joint. architecture won't have as much emphasis as civil would on maths and physics, but i feel that architects are required to know not only design, but every other bit of construction that exists.

my conclusion: architecture = a lil bit of everything in the construction industry. it just depends on what kind of architect you want to be. the environmentalist type, the project type, the cultural type, etc. I for one am aiming for the project type, because it's a fact, architects barely get anythign for the amount of work they need to do.

hope that helps.
could u give me an example on the "artsy" side of archi?
i dont know if im artsy or creative, do u think you could be a successful archi, without being so "artsy"

i may consider following you and major in contruction management
i'm worried, about the risks of becoming an archi..

what uni do u go? i cant find any infor on majoring in construction management in archi

SureBluff

HSC
Imo, it ultimately comes down to what you enjoy more. Do you like being more creative or do you enjoy problem solving? Essentially, both architects and engineers needs abit of both, but I see architects as being more creative while engineers are better problem solvers.

I had architecture as my 1st and 2nd preference (usyd and unsw respectively) and then engineering/commerce and pure engineering as my 3rd-6th choices (unsw of course) despite the fact that the engineering/commerce courses would require higher uai.

(I had interior design and more architecture at uts as my later choices if you're interested in knowing)

I still don't think architecture is just artsy fartsy - even though I havnt had the experience in uni yet so feel free to ignore this. imho, a good architect should have a balance of all of the following in their work:
- functionality
- aesthetics
- sense of atmosphere
- economical
- sustainability

Anyways, I don't care if the course requires both the artsy side or the maths/physics side as I can handle both. It really depends on what you enjoy doing more.

xxPanDa

HSC
anybody doing archi thats not so artsy/creativee?
how are you doing at archi?

failing? passing? how do u feel?

HSC
Thank God im not alone then !!
Im also goin through the same decision process and I started another thread about it http://community.boredofstudies.org...ecture-vs-civil-eng.html?posted=1#post2708839

So i jst wanna know from the guys that went through the same decision as me, what did you end up doin? Or what r u goin to go for ?
If u could also include the reason for your choice and wether ur enjoyin what ur doin?

Coz im really confused

chunkstarzzz

HSC
which university is best for civil engineering???? unsw usyd uts????? state reasons plssssssssss

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
chunkstarzzz said:
which university is best for civil engineering???? unsw usyd uts????? state reasons plssssssssss
Well down here in wollongong we see UNSW the best for engineering. But then again there is a skill shortage in engineering so it wouldnt matter where u did it as long as u get the degree...

chunkstarzzz

HSC

Thanks for the infos, but all the information says is uts engineering is good and engineers make more money than normal people. Why does uts civil engineers make more money and unsw is better suited for teaching?? Is it possible to tell me why CIVIL specifically is better in UTS? Also ive heard that UNSW is better in most engineering from careers adviser, and in this world ranking for engineering/ technology. It says UTS outperformed all other sydney based uni in (science, architecture.... and agriculture). im concerned taht unsw is better at all thsoe science and stuff, but since it didnt make the top band in agriculture, uts was seen as outperformed. Since u alredy do civil engineering and probably noe some people who does it somewhere else, can u give ur honest reasons why CIVIL specifically is best in UTS and why you say UTS civil engineers make the BIG CASH?? Thanks a lot mate.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
Don't listen to Hakz he does IT and has no knowledge for engineering

Do you wanna get into civil engineering for work or for research?

If you wanna go for the work (the big bucks) then UTS is the place to be

If you wanna go for the research (and work at uni) then UNSW is the place to be

Here are the reasons why UTS engineering is good for work.

http://www.newsroom.uts.edu.au/news/detail.cfm?ItemId=8832
http://www.eng.uts.edu.au/courses/undergraduate/whyUTSE.htm
http://www.uts.edu.au/about/facts/docs/gds_fac.html
http://content.mycareer.com.au/salary-centre/graduate/

Considering UTS doesnt have petorlium and mining engineering; that is very good
I do ICT as IT is a separate and different course when compared mine lol, on the other hand about UNSW it has very good rep for engineering and also i know from friends that are engineers they reckon UNSW is good. Doesnt UNSW engineering faculty have the most facilities compared to other sydney unis like uts?

Last edited:

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
god damn hakz stop posting you have no idea

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
jb_nc said:
god damn hakz stop posting you have no idea
I am asking a question about engineering: doesnt UNSW have the biggest engineering faculty? If youse know so much answer it then.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Musk said:
mans smart, hakz. stay away from engineering. thank god you do IT
Having an engineer in the family i know how its like and the fact that it is quiet hard. Especially ive been told that doing general maths then engineering is a total blast..

chunkstarzzz

HSC
hmmm... crap. even though the money is tempting, im the kind of guy who likes to think 'how can i improve something', or wot you would call a thinking man... so if i want to make more money and get ahead in industry uts is better and unsw is better for research huh? but it shoudnt matter all that much should it? also if i choose to go uts, then can i do all those postgrad stuffs (which im not that familiar) with in unsw? also is there no internship in unsw and only in uts? also what do u do in those communication topics? i mean do u learn how to make friends?lol. isnt it more effective to learn other challenging things related to engineering????? anyway u noe more than me in engineering musk, so help me out.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
chunkstarzzz said:
hmmm... crap. even though the money is tempting, im the kind of guy who likes to think 'how can i improve something', or wot you would call a thinking man... so if i want to make more money and get ahead in industry uts is better and unsw is better for research huh? but it shoudnt matter all that much should it? also if i choose to go uts, then can i do all those postgrad stuffs (which im not that familiar) with in unsw? also is there no internship in unsw and only in uts? also what do u do in those communication topics? i mean do u learn how to make friends?lol. isnt it more effective to learn other challenging things related to engineering????? anyway u noe more than me in engineering musk, so help me out.
I think u should study and forget about asking and wait till u finish the hsc and get the marks to get into engineering. U cant rely on other peoples thoughts and views about a course and say thats for me, the real thing is very different. Good luck

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)