architecture vs. civil engineering (1 Viewer)

daman

HSC
<!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->i cant seem to decide between the two. i've read all the course descriptions and spoken to all the academics and still the two courses seem too good to differentiate between. like they both appeal to my tastes.

ive put engineering as my first preference however i always wanted to be an architecture and recently ive been watching this show on tv, "property ladder" on the lifestyle channel (kickass show), and now im leaning towards property development.

the thing i didnt like about architecture was the artistic side of it like the dandy drawing stuff because i aint good at it and i dont enjoy things im not good at

the thing i like about civil engineering was the planning/development of large urban areas

just in case i live my life in regret of not taking up architecture i was wondering if i could hear the students opinions on their courses

so finally: what are the good and bad points of civil engineering and architecture?

p.s i know this may not be the most appropriate place for this thread, but hey i need some opinions

Adam

HSC
I'm doing Civil Engineering and loving it to bits, everything about it, so my opinion is pretty much void.

Our lecturers do say that architects make more money for doing less, though.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
brogan77 said:
Ummmm, ahhhhh...In architecture you architect things and in civil engineering you engineer things...civilly.

This post deserves to go in the BoS Best Posts Ever Hall of Fame.
^ what he said!

but dont ask me ... im very biased. :eek::(

daman

HSC
Adam said:
I'm doing Civil Engineering and loving it to bits, everything about it
what makes it so good, specifically?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Architects design the buildings to look pretty, civil engineers are there to say "no, fuck off, that won't work"

Adam

HSC
^ pretty much

I like logic, and reason. And doing things right. And having fun while doing all of the above. When driving past the harbour bridge or anzac bridge I can do nothing but look at it's beauty and then proceed to think about what forces are involved in it. I like to get my hands dirty by understanding what happens and how it works rather then what it looks like. Every day at uni I learn something new, that opens my eyes to what I have known before, but never thought about.

If you think the total opposite to what I just said, then civil engineering might not be for you. I'm not sure when the open days are or if they've passed, but the best thing to do is to go and speak to somebody about it.

Pierotte

HSC
withoutaface said:
Architects design the buildings to look pretty, civil engineers are there to say "no, fuck off, that won't work"

my thoughts exactly. Like i mean pretty much word for word.

I considered civil for a while (prefs 6 and 9 in the end... haha 69.. oh my)

but i guess it depends on you.

Personally im more of an arty person, i like logic at times and thniking about HOW the buildings get up in the end, but i prefer the designing MORE.

Learning how to test the strength of cement... well that doesnt appeal to me.

Oh, and maths is not my friend.

So do u use the left or right side of ur brain more?

Maximus

Decimus Meridius
HSC
Isn't it a little late to be deciding this? Like, I realise there are still rounds after main round, but this is something you shoulda thought about a couple weeks ago...

Adam

HSC
Pierotte said:
Learning how to test the strength of cement... well that doesnt appeal to me.
Force/area. You just learnt it. Congrats.

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
lol. it really does depend on the person ... i did civil engineering for about two weeks before i realised i would end up killing myself if i did it forever.

if you're good at/like maths ... the you'll like civil cause it lets you get into alot of different area's, but if you're more creative with a slight twist of retarded hippy logic, then you should be an architect :)

daman

HSC
yeh i think civil is looking more and more suited to me tastes. i am pretty good at maths and shit at art so i guess thats a pretty good indication. but keep the opinions coming guys i wanna know why people love one or the other so much

by the way Pierotte and Purp|e what did you guys end up doing?

axie

HSC
N/A
You don't have to be good at art to be good at architecture, I can't draw to save my life and I'm doing well. There's more to architecture than being creative ... even the most creative people crash and burn if they can't be logical and design a building that actually works in terms of construction, planning and regulations etc.

Engineering is is less work though ... always a big bonus :p

clive

evilc
HSC
N/A
daman said:
what makes it so good, specifically?

the money and the fact that you will get a job when you graduate, also the fact that you won't be a latte sipping pansy :p

[I'm doing civil engineering if you didn't already deduce that:)]

Pierotte

HSC
Daman: I havnt started yet ('05 Grad)

But hopefully come wenesday it'll be architecture at usyd (or UNSW.. or UTS, do i really care anymore??)

[btw is ur username said Daman..like Matt Daman or Da-Man! like "I am Da Man!" just curious]

Clive: I never drink Latte's ... i just feel like a ponce even ordering them.

Plus theyre not to my taste. So yeah thnx for ur generalisation u stupid geeky engineer with no social life who has so grasp of the real world or relationships and instead tries to solve everything empathetic with a relevant mathmatical equation, but ultimately it never works, so you want to cry, but you cant cry you emotionless dolt! U hate youre life.

Adam: woa... force/area , dont i feel smart.

Would architects learn that too?? I mean in the end theyd have to have some idea...

Clive: I was always under the impression that architects in the end get more money, and tend to boss the civil engineers around??

e.g.

Architect : This is my design! Make it happen!
Civil (whilst slaving away over facts and figures): Im sorry, it wont work Ma'am.
Architect: Then make it work monkey boy! Or else you dont get payed! No bread for your family this week! Make my pretty a reality! Here, have a nickel.

Gross exaggeration? I think not...

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Actually engineers are known for their fantastic social lives at the pub.

Pierotte

HSC
withoutaface said:
Actually engineers are known for their fantastic social lives at the pub.

and by that you mean they go to the pub to get blind drunk every night because of the pain they feel at their inability to be able to relate to real people, poor little geeky geeeks.

then yeah i totally agree.

Note: No i dont really hate engineers, and i dont really believe they dont have a social life. Im just saying thinking that all architects are pretentious fairy people isnt right either.

Adam

HSC
Wow. Somebody's a bit cranky.

Of course, something so stupid does not deserve a response, how about we get back on topic and help the person who's asking the original question, hmm?

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
Pierotte said:
So yeah thnx for ur generalisation u stupid geeky engineer with no social life who has so grasp of the real world or relationships and instead tries to solve everything empathetic with a relevant mathmatical equation, but ultimately it never works, so you want to cry, but you cant cry you emotionless dolt! U hate youre life.
lol ... oh snap.

:eek: i drink lattes

oh, and daman... i did civil eng all last yr, didnt like it so i did electives in architecture second semester, loved it and now im hoping to transfer to architecture anywhere

its not like this is the decision of your life (although its kind of important :p) there are always other ways around and if you dont like it, transfer! :)

Pierotte

HSC
Adam, it was infact a serious question.

What kind of maths do architects do?

It couldnt possibly be all design.

I dont see why architects wouldnt learn the force/area rule if it is infact so simple.

Theyd have to know alot of structural theory wouldnt they?

You cant just be told to go in and design something blind of all constructional knwoledge.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Ah, one thing no one has mentioned yet is that if designing buildings specifically is all you'd like to learn about, you may, depending somewhat upon which university you attend, find large parts of Civil engineering a bit boring. I mean like soil/geomechanics, fluids mechanics, transportation engineering, hydrology/water engineering, etc. You know, since civil covers a lot more than just structures and (depending largely upon the uni) you can't always avoid doing the non-structural courses.

Afaik Pierotte, architects do in fact learn some structual theory. Also, your stereotype is kinda scary. Does anyone know a relevant mathematical equation to show that she's wrong?? :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)