Are commerce/business degrees replacing arts degrees? (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Asquithian said:
Engineering students generally are unable to pick up irony and or sarcasm. Anything less than literal escapes them. Doesn't it Calculon?
I'm sorry we can't all have a 10 hour timetable that permits us the time to read such long winded and waffling articles, Timothy.

Generator

HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
I'm sorry we can't all have a 10 hour timetable that permits us the time to read such articles, Timothy.
Ah well, at least the men to women ratio is much better for the BAers (my Arts education is serving me well, as you can see) than it is for the engineers :).

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Problem being they leave the BA guys straight after uni finishes when they realise they can't get a job :p

santaslayer

HSC
Asquithian said:
Another one. At least one that SHOULD know you dont read everything literally.
and so what sort of thought provoking reaction were we meant to give? :p

I do BComm/LLB, not a BA/LLB, I'm not the one that's supposed to critically analyse an ARTICLE. You tell me how I should take this piece of junk and i'll be happy to accept it.

santaslayer

HSC
Sarah said:
How so?

Umm... no offence but based on my experiences so far in accouting, dealing with Debits and Credits does nothing but numb my mind and makes me sleepy.
That's not accounting, that's book keeping.

You tend to gain a broad understanding of how a business as a whole works if you actually study accounting. A lot of CEOs have an accounting degree.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
That's not accounting, that's book keeping.

You tend to gain a broad understanding of how a business as a whole works if you actually study accounting. A lot of CEOs have an accounting degree.

Like i said, my comment was based on my experiences so far. I wasn't commenting on the career paths, merely my experiences and level of engagement I have in the subject so far.

And even though you say what I've done so far is book-keeping, well book-keeping is part of accounting.

If it makes you feel better, from what i've read aboutCorporate governance is interesting

sarevok

HSC
wikiwiki said:
That is such a limited subsection of life that you can't say that it studying accounting gives you a broad education.
mmm...and arts majors also only cover limited subsections of life

sarevok

HSC
yes. i do not see how any arts major bestows a greater breadth of knowledge than an accounting major

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
wikiwiki said:
"How a business works".

Who cares?

That is such a limited subsection of life that you can't say that it studying accounting gives you a broad education.
'Broad education' leaves you a jack of all trades and master of none.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
sarevok said:
yes. i do not see how any arts major bestows a greater breadth of knowledge than an accounting major
Major in Geography, which forces you to do on field work with people who can talk in english, not engrish! I wouldn't mind being stuck on the Barrier Reef for a practical assignment or on a volcanic island.

Major in Ancient History, which allows you to understand in depth one ancient culture/language and a plethora of others, and a real sense of where society/culture has come from through trips overseas and excavation sites.

Major in Music, the ability to perform in a wide selection of styles and genres as well as locations and with different people in different and various instances.

Just as an example @ mq.

santaslayer

HSC
Sarah said:
Like i said, my comment was based on my experiences so far. I wasn't commenting on the career paths, merely my experiences and level of engagement I have in the subject so far.

And even though you say what I've done so far is book-keeping, well book-keeping is part of accounting.

If it makes you feel better, from what i've read aboutCorporate governance is interesting
1) Talking about an education at tertiary level will inevitably lead to the discussion of career paths within your chosen degree. I was only merley attempting to illustrate the fact that CEO's 'should' be a prime example of someone who is fairly well educated and thinks about things as a whole. The accounting degree would of contributed much to his/her decision making.

2) There are Book Keepers and various different Accounting jobs for accountants. Accountants rarely do book keeping.

3) Yeah, so is 'Forensic Accounting'. :)

wikiwiki said:
"How a business works".

Who cares?

LoLz.

:rolleyes:

Please give me an example of a degree which enables a 'broad education'.

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
wikiwiki said:
CEO's well educated?

You have never met a CEO have you.

Of course people will bring up examples of CEO's with D Divs, D Eds, PhDs, DottFills whatever.

CEO's aren't on the intellectual food chain. They are on the business food chain.
God that was quick.

MY uncle (who lives in HK) is the CEO of HP Singapore. Would you like me to list some of the degrees he's completed?

Yes, business food chain, in order to profit. I'm not dissing anyone who knows the consumer's tastes and interests. You do understand that the study of psychology is fairly important in business right?

Oh wait...psychologists aren't too smart as well right? :rolleyes:

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
withoutaface said:
That logic is flawed. At USyd a BE(Mechanical) has a cutoff in the 80s, and a BE(Aero/Space) has a cutoff of 99.4. The former has better employment opportunities, at least in Australia.
why such a large dif :/

arts is by no means useless and there are some high cutoff arts degrees like BA languages at USyd...but this has all been said. Let's face it we're all going to be biased toward our own degrees....

Sarah

HSC
N/A
santaslayer said:
1) Talking about an education at tertiary level will inevitably lead to the discussion of career paths within your chosen degree. I was only merley attempting to illustrate the fact that CEO's 'should' be a prime example of someone who is fairly well educated and thinks about things as a whole. The accounting degree would of contributed much to his/her decision making.

2) There are Book Keepers and various different Accounting jobs for accountants. Accountants rarely do book keeping.

3) Yeah, so is 'Forensic Accounting'. :)
Hmm... well i guess you want to focus on are the applied and vocational elements whereas what i've been putting forth is more on the study of the subject itself (rather than application in the work context), the level of thinking and engagement in the subject. As you can probably guess, my interest in Accounting doesn't go very far. :rolleyes:

Yes i realised you've stated that talking about education at a tertiary level inevitably leads to a discussion of career paths but so far i've been attempting to limit my statements from heading that way (other than replying to comments made about my posts).

As to a degree which gives a broad level of education, i really don't think that there is 1 degree out there. I think combined degrees are good or undertaking post-grad studies.

Also, considering that different unis have their own way of structuring degrees, your education can be broader or more narrower than another student at a different uni. I'd say the degrees which allow students to study subjects outside the parent faculty are attempting to give a chance for a broader education.

santaslayer

HSC
Sarah said:
Hmm... well i guess you want to focus on are the applied and vocational elements whereas what i've been putting forth is more on the study of the subject itself (rather than application in the work context), the level of thinking and engagement in the subject. As you can probably guess, my interest in Accounting doesn't go very far. :rolleyes:

Yes i realised you've stated that talking about education at a tertiary level inevitably leads to a discussion of career paths but so far i've been attempting to limit my statements from heading that way (other than replying to comments made about my posts).

As to a degree which gives a broad level of education, i really don't think that there is 1 degree out there. I think combined degrees are good or undertaking post-grad studies.

Also, considering that different unis have their own way of structuring degrees, your education can be broader or more narrower than another student at a different uni. I'd say the degrees which allow students to study subjects outside the parent faculty are attempting to give a chance for a broader education.
Don't get me wrong, I hate accounting, it's just very useful. :p

Meh, you should do something like philosophy or psychology.

HSC
N/A
I'm going to throw my two cents in. As an Arts students, I can say about half my friends know exactly what position they want to hold a few years after graduation, and about a quarter of those left over know what field they want to work in but are unsure as to what position they aspire to.

The point of studying something seemingly pointless like Literary Studies actually gives you a much better understanding of the political and cultural contexts in Australia or in the country of origin at the time of publication. You might not believe me, but take a look at the working class writing course I took last semester and I think you might be surprised!

My other major is Sociology (Policy Studies) under a Bachelor of Arts. With this, I can choose to go into any number of areas including but not restricted to policy development, government administration, community development etc. And yes, I could teach social studies if I were that way inclined. At this stage in my life doing Education has never seemed less appealing.

I have a philosophy that if I'm not enjoying or deriving satisfaction from something I generally won't do well at it, as my track record has proven. Therefore for me to do a degree like accounting or finance would have been singularly useless. And for some people, as is strongly evidenced here, feel the same about arts degrees. That's not to say either is useless, it would just be useless for certain people to study them. The policies I hope to develop affect you all, but then who's going to do my tax for me when I graduate??

Both have their merits; it's a personal choice.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)