are preliminary investigations / requirement definition still in the new syllabus? (1 Viewer)

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
I can't find this, and it overlapping with some parts in the planning stage. like the feasibility report.

where is this determined: Preliminary investigation determines whether a quick fix, new system or nothing is necessary. ?? does it go in planning or understanding the problem?

hscishard

HSC
Re: are preliminary investigations / requirement definition still in the new syllabus

I can't find this, and it overlapping with some parts in the planning stage. like the feasibility report.

where is this determined: Preliminary investigation determines whether a quick fix, new system or nothing is necessary. ?? does it go in planning or understanding the problem?
Huh? What do you mean?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
Re: are preliminary investigations / requirement definition still in the new syllabus

Huh? What do you mean?
ok, sooo, the syllabus, has outlined that this stuff is meant to be in the feasability study, and not the requirements report. DID the requiremeants report replace the preliminary investigation?

Gigacube

HSC

I think preliminary investigations go into Understanding the Problem which is the first stage.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

I think preliminary investigations go into Understanding the Problem which is the first stage.
yeah which is where I did it. I just want to know if it still part of the new syllabus or if it got renamed to requirement report. this syllabus is so frekin ambiguous.

Gigacube

HSC

It's in the new one.

I think it goes:

Understanding the Problem > Project Plan > Requirements Report

Is this for your major project?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

It's in the new one.

I think it goes:

nope, I want it for my understanding.

this is how I put it: Manager contacts system analyst > System analyst carries out the preliminary investigation > Requirements prototype > requirements report.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

haha i'm still a little confused on this topic :/ does a requirements report cover everything except the requirements prorotype?

S4Saustralia

HSC

It's in the new one.

I think it goes:

what do you mean by this?

I've been taught that it goes

Understanding the problem > making decisions > developing the system > Implementing > testing, evauluation

excuse my ignorance if I'm talking about something completely different.

Gigacube

HSC

Understanding the problem > making decisions > developing the system > Implementing > testing, evauluation

I'm not talking about the whole cycle. I'm talking about what is involved in the 'Understanding the Problem' stage.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

btw making decisions has be renamed to planning.

hscishard

HSC

haha i'm still a little confused on this topic :/ does a requirements report cover everything except the requirements prorotype?
Requirements protoypes are used to explore the requirements of the system. Then you go to the planning stage.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

Requirements protoypes are used to explore the requirements of the system. Then you go to the planning stage.
yeah but is a prelim investigation included within the requirements report?

hscishard

HSC

As with what jules_shorty said, I think preliminary investigations are in the "Understanding the problem" stage. So I doubt prelim investigations are in requirement reports

S4Saustralia

HSC

btw making decisions has be renamed to planning.
damn, I used to remember it with UMDIT as in "Um Dit I tell you, you're retarded?"...now its UPDIT...wtf is UPDIT?

Gigacube

HSC

Do you do Software (SDD) too? There's also a cycle in SDD that's similar to the IPT one so maybe that's the one that you were thinking of.

hscishard

HSC

Do you do Software (SDD) too? There's also a cycle in SDD that's similar to the IPT one so maybe that's the one that you were thinking of.
Wow you do a lot of computing subjects

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

the requirements report is in understand the problem stage, I just don't know if it replaces the old term, prelim investigation, becasue everything about it is very similar to a prelim invest.
this is for IPT, i'm 100% sure. the excel book (updated) mentions requirement reports which my main book doesn't (old book).

SDC (for sdd) is, define the problem, plan, build check, modify

Its not that hard to remember the 5 stages, personally I just know them off by heart, its not that hard really.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)