• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Are preliminary results an indicator of how you will perform in HSC? (1 Viewer)

astroman

HSC
i have a range of mixed results ranging from low 40s to high 90s in all my exams and am worried that if this continues it will affect my ATAR significantly. everyone failed the 2u math exam and the average was 26, i got 40 and am ranked 42/132, lol, do u think that this is an indicator of how year 12 exams will affect my marks? will i carry similar results or do people improve by lots?

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
not at all
Intrinsically you work harder in year 12

photastic

HSC
Not even. A lot of people will change drastically :)

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Eh. The top kids will usually stay at the top, and the bottom kids almost always stay at the bottom. It's the middle kids that will move around, whether it's because they take year 12 more seriously and move up to the top, or because they don't care anymore so they fall to the bottom.

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
Eh. The top kids will usually stay at the top, and the bottom kids almost always stay at the bottom. It's the middle kids that will move around, whether it's because they take year 12 more seriously and move up to the top, or because they don't care anymore so they fall to the bottom.
this.

but generally you'll stay where you are

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
well but in all seriousness if you do legitimately get your shit together ASAP then you have a chance. In prelim english, I literally put less than zero effort into my studies and came second last in the entire cohort/~80. for the HSC i actually started to try and ended up being ranked about 30 overall

astroman

HSC
well but in all seriousness if you do legitimately get your shit together ASAP then you have a chance. In prelim english, I literally put less than zero effort into my studies and came second last in the entire cohort/~80. for the HSC i actually started to try and ended up being ranked about 30 overall
i make up my essays and get great marks for english

iStudent

HSC
Little change in terms of rank between these years. But there's always the odd person who steps up their game.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
My brother was able to step up his game back in 2010ish and i think he was about 52/83 for extension maths in year 11, by year 12; he was ranked 7th out of 83. But in saying so, he worked his ass off during his break.

photastic

HSC
My brother was able to step up his game back in 2010ish and i think he was about 52/83 for extension maths in year 11, by year 12; he was ranked 7th out of 83. But in saying so, he worked his ass off during his break.
Can confirm this. Got 18/50 (mark) in 3u for prelims but now i'm first, averaging one mark off 90% :)

Last edited:

photastic

HSC
Prelim and HSC have no connection, seriously. You can fully not take prelim seriously and be fine, because it doesn't count for anything.

The only thing I think stays fairly similar is maths, because failing prelim maths often leads to poor HSC maths performance as well, given that its the only subject that can directly assess prelim content in HSC :)
I disagree, did better in HSC maths than prelims because the hsc course helped me understand the prelim course, or maybe cos there's more past papers for hsc than prelim :)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
sometimes. if you find the work difficult now and still work hard, perhaps it may indicate that you have a weakness in the subject. on the other hand you may be scoring well now but year 12 gets harder and so does the marking. Also, take into account the stress and pressure. Consider getting a tutor.

photastic

HSC
Yeah thats fair enough, just in general though– I was taking the assumption that people retain the same study levels (including past papers etc). But of course, thats great you did better and everyone (in general) should remember that theres always room for improvement for consistency, and that prelim results are in general pretty irrelevant when you consider that
Unless you dropped out of year 11 since we all have a RoSa :O

zaadifyable

HSC
damn, Im in the same boat as you, trying to improve in year 12. My current performance in school is average, except one or two subjects which I just got lucky in. I do have friends whos siblings have graduated with band 6s in subjects which the had failed (about 40%) in year 11. I guess in year 12, people change dramatically. I can now feel a vibe in my school of people becoming determined, and damn, that makes me determined! Unfortunately, youtube, and facebook normally get me. sad life. haha, I joined BoS to stay motivated, but its my biggest distraction this week. Good Luck!

YoloStudent

HSC
N/A
I remember when I was in a worse position, I bombed out in year 11. I regret it so much, but that motivated me to do better and now I'm top 5 in all subjects. Its a huge improvement but I could of done better. I would love for first (wouldn't everybody?)

Prelim is not a indicator of how well you will do, rather use the time to develop study habits to do well. Its sort of an experiment year I guess?

yolo123

HSC
N/A
i have a range of mixed results ranging from low 40s to high 90s in all my exams and am worried that if this continues it will affect my ATAR significantly. everyone failed the 2u math exam and the average was 26, i got 40 and am ranked 42/132, lol, do u think that this is an indicator of how year 12 exams will affect my marks? will i carry similar results or do people improve by lots?
smshs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)