Are there too many Internationals at UNI these days? (1 Viewer)

Are there too many Internationals at UNI these days?

• Yes- Too many Internationals

Votes: 85 82.5%
  • No- Not enough Internationals

Votes: 18 17.5%

• Total voters

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
xoa said:
Ok, rather than setting a simple number, lets restrict entry to Aussies who can conjugate sentences and know their multiplication tables - skills which should have been aquired in primary school. If they still feel that they are entitled to more than 12 years of education, they can pay for it themselves, just like the maligned intenationals.
In effect you're saying only the cream of the crop can go to uni and the rich. In many cases the best people will be the ones that can afford private tuition and don't have to work through their hsc to support themselves.

Ennaybur

HSC
N/A
You would also be denying mature age students I assume, and people who may have had reasons not to be able to drop everything and perform their best for the HSC, yet want a second chance and a new environment.

ObjectsInSpace

The Hammer Is My Penis
HSC
N/A
Ennaybur said:
but why would you want to deny people an education?

can you not see the flaws in restricting the amount of places to a simple number?
The thread-starter wants to deny peopl tertiary education because there's a limit to how many students a university can accept. Internationals who are paying full fees are taking up a proportion of that quota, thereby denying students who studied through school the positions, which he clearly thinks we have more right to. The problem is that without those fees, the university would have no money to pay lecturers, tutors, to keep the facilities in order and to pay for maintenance. Gh3y thinks that universities acting as a business is the problem, but universities have to exist as a business. They need to ge tthe money from somewhere.

phrred

HSC
If you cant get into any uni then you're a deadshit and you dont deserve to go. Most courses do not require a very high UAI even at Australia's most prestigious universities. Even if you cant make it into the large city uni's you can go to the rural uni's and try hard and come back or you can go to UWS where the UAIs are relatively low (Business UAI 60? I recall) .

The opportunities are there for local students.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
ObjectsInSpace said:
The thread-starter wants to deny peopl tertiary education because there's a limit to how many students a university can accept. Internationals who are paying full fees are taking up a proportion of that quota, thereby denying students who studied through school the positions, which he clearly thinks we have more right to. The problem is that without those fees, the university would have no money to pay lecturers, tutors, to keep the facilities in order and to pay for maintenance. Gh3y thinks that universities acting as a business is the problem, but universities have to exist as a business. They need to ge tthe money from somewhere.
Yes. Who gives a shit? I'm pretty sure the poll was asking the question whilst assuming that the funding would continue to flow through to unis.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
The best and most qualified international students prefers to go to USA and UK Universities thats why Australia, NZ and Canada got many not so qualified international students hence the problems many of you mentioned with international students particularly from China/Thailand etc.

The irony is Australian students did not perform much better than their international counterparts ;)

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
zab02 said:
I think there is far too many, this rapid intake of cashed up internationals has lead to falling standards and falling reputations by our uni's. Would rather give Uni places to Australia Citizens, the ones that pay there taxes, that actually contribute to society, that in the end pay for the education system. Too many internationals have killed the whole Uni "experience". Im disapointed with the greedy capitalists who run the Uni's, what happend to Education being a public good not a business?
International students provide revenue for unis as they pay upfront so that CSP exist.

All international students I've come across speak understandable English. If they don't, why would they be here?

You can't avoid international students. Captain Gh3y suggested you to move to the country if you really hate them.

koube0530

HSC
Their communication is alright.

But I've marked a few international students' assignments and sometimes I just want to fail them for their incoherence... what they write, taken literally, is the wrong answer.

I sort of give them sympathy marks because I guess that wasn't what they meant. Everyone is meant to have the same argument because these are just simple subjects. But if I gave the papers to someone who doesn't do the subject, they'd probably have no clue what's being said.

I think this is an issue. How can universities give degrees to students who can't really re-express what's being taught? When they go back to their countries, don't managers wonder why their English is so bad and draw a connection with the university?

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
Do Int. Students get better marks than locals or is it the other way around?

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
koube0530 said:
I sort of give them sympathy marks because I guess that wasn't what they meant. Everyone is meant to have the same argument because these are just simple subjects. But if I gave the papers to someone who doesn't do the subject, they'd probably have no clue what's being said.
You're part of the problem

Putting anything before academic integrity destroys the point of universities :D

MaNiElla

HSC
N/A
i dont see a problem with international students, most of the ones i've met are very clever and intellegent people, even though their english skills arent good. They even perform better and get higher marks then aussie students, in some subjects.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Ennaybur said:
but why would you want to deny people an education?

can you not see the flaws in restricting the amount of places to a simple number?
Err, they already do that dear, heck thats what the whole UAI cutoff thing is about...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
koube0530 said:
When they go back to their countries, don't managers wonder why their English is so bad and draw a connection with the university?
Most probably because they won't be using english?

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
iamsickofyear12 said:
They are paying for the education system but they are not contributing to society after their degree. Some are, because some stay, but plenty just leave and contribute nothing to to the economy after they leave. Australian students pay taxes all their lives and their knowledge and spending contributes to the economy.
why the hell has somebody got to keep contributing to society after their degree? there is no justifiable principle to say that just because someone comes to Australia to study (at their own cost), they are forever indebted to this country.

moreover, you do realise, in the end, they are essentially subsidising our goddamn university system. your pity-little HECS don't mean anything compared to the full-fees they pay.

extending your argument, should Australian graduates be confined to work in Australia after they graduate? can they not pursue work opportunities overseas? if they can, then they are not paying Australian taxes or contributing to the economy.

just because i pay for the milk doesn't mean i have to buy the cow.

PrinceHarry

HSC
N/A
I think you people have too much expectation from international students. Will you be able to read/write and express abstract thoughts in chinese in just 4 years to the level you expect of them to be in English language after 4 years of study here in Australia. Besides, you can be world renowned surgeon, scientist, mathematician or engineer without speaking english.

Many international students want to learn and practise their english with aussies but aussies do not want to befriend international students who do not speak good english. Therefore, you are partly to blame for international students' poor english!

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
PrinceHarry said:
Besides, you can be world renowned surgeon, scientist, mathematician or engineer without speaking english.
Heh, they'd have a tough job on their hands trying to stay up to date in their respective field without a working knowledge of the english language.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Frigid said:
why the hell has somebody got to keep contributing to society after their degree? there is no justifiable principle to say that just because someone comes to Australia to study (at their own cost), they are forever indebted to this country.

moreover, you do realise, in the end, they are essentially subsidising our goddamn university system. your pity-little HECS don't mean anything compared to the full-fees they pay.

extending your argument, should Australian graduates be confined to work in Australia after they graduate? can they not pursue work opportunities overseas? if they can, then they are not paying Australian taxes or contributing to the economy.

just because i pay for the milk doesn't mean i have to buy the cow.
They don't have to, that's not what I was trying to say... I'm just saying that Australian students do and International students don't.

I know. I never said they weren't.

I never suggested that either. Some Australian graduates will, but more Australian graduates than International graduates will stay in Australia.

Conspirocy

HSC
koube0530 said:
Their communication is alright.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)