Are you guys proud/ ashamed of studying at UWS? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanQ1991

HSC
A uni is a uni. Just because it is more "regular" compared to ones like USyd or UNSW does NOT make it an excuse for someone to not do well in their course because in the end, it comes down to how much effort you have put in that counts. The uni doesn't make you who you are, it's what you do there that counts.

Of course some people will get lower ATARs. Otherwise, what is ranking? They can't accommodate everyone so they rank us. An ATAR does NOT measure intelligence.

Just because you go to USyd or UNSW now does NOT mean you are guaranteed to be successful. Otherwise everyone would just do anything to get into those.

UWS students will be as successful, if not, even more. Some people even choose to attend UWS over the "prestigious" universities because it is more relaxed and people are generally friendlier.

Honestly, if you are not prepared to work, then you are not serious about uni and therefore, just using the uni you attend as an excuse. Don't waste your time.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
A uni is a uni. Just because it is more "regular" compared to ones like USyd or UNSW does NOT make it an excuse for someone to not do well in their course because in the end, it comes down to how much effort you have put in that counts. The uni doesn't make you who you are, it's what you do there that counts.

Of course some people will get lower ATARs. Otherwise, what is ranking? They can't accommodate everyone so they rank us. An ATAR does NOT measure intelligence.

Just because you go to USyd or UNSW now does NOT mean you are guaranteed to be successful. Otherwise everyone would just do anything to get into those.

UWS students will be as successful, if not, even more. Some people even choose to attend UWS over the "prestigious" universities because it is more relaxed and people are generally friendlier.

Honestly, if you are not prepared to work, then you are not serious about uni and therefore, just using the uni you attend as an excuse. Don't waste your time.
I disagree, people at USyd or UNSW are generally no 'less friendly' than anywhere else. Other than that, I agree with everything you said. A specific uni or uni degree doesn't guarantee success - it's all up to the individual.

beefnoodle

HSC
Whats wrong with UWS? Some of my friends go to Maq and have to ask me for help because the accounting staffs there are too................ The programs being offered at UWS are exactly the same at other universities.

IMO, the primary reason why UWS has such bad reputation is because it has TOO MANY unqualified students. E.g. wogs that dont care, international students that expect a free ride to citizenship. Sometimes I have to seriously ask: "how the hell did these morons get into uni?".

I had a chat with a few international students in my group. They told me their agents (in their home countries) advertised Australia as a nation of freeloaders. Like you can work for a few hours a day and then bludge at the beach and receive welfare payments without question.

Then they ask me how much welfare do I get (none, since I work 40+ hours/week). "Does the government pay for your housing?" etc. They basically think that by studying certain courses, they will be guaranteed citizenship.

Like seriously, if you come here to receive welfare, go shit yourself. :hammer:

Bananaberry

HSC
I graduated UWS in 2006. I've become a marketing manager with a salary in the better half of 100k within the first 3 years of having graduated. I can say nothing bad about UWS, as its got me where I want to go.

What I cant understand is that:
1.People bag out TAFE, or say that TAFE is better than UWS etc etc etc. Honestly, you must understand TAFE and uni are different. TAFE is aimed at people who want to do trades and more applied practical work than uni offers. And before you can say that trades people are shit and TAFE leads to shit jobs, then a recent study shows that trades people are more content with their careers than people who went to uni. Most trades people earn more than people who went to uni anyway (not inc doctors/lawyers and the like).

2. One your in uni no one cares about ur ATAR (except if you wish to transfer). No employers care about your ATAR. All they care about is how educated you are in your field, your experiences and you as a person.

3. Those say people with ATAR's in the 50's/60's go to UWS, are shit etc etc etc...you do realise a lot of them get into UWS and then transfer to your "more prestigious unis". Regardless, they still got a ATAR of 50/60 whatever. I went to school with a guy who got an ATAR in the 30's, and ended up going to Mac after a year of tafe.

4. As its been mentioned, ATAR's are not a good indicator of success. It is a rank, not a mark. Your rank within an x amount of students at the time. Remember people do different subjects that have different scaling which affects the ATAR. People who choose subjects like arts, design etc are being penalised becuase they dont do chem, ext english etc...Doe snot mean they are any dumber, they just have different interests.

5. Are you really going to ask a lawyer/dr, "I want to know what ATAR you got before we proceed".

6. If anything is said about the teaching quality at UWS, you do realise that many teachers/lectures are USYD/UNSW etc graduates?

7. So what if so called "loosers" go to UWS. If they cant do the work, they wont be able to graduate, thus wont get good jobs. Their prob, not yours, why do you care?

Failure_123

HSC
Within 3 years of graduating from UWS, you earnt over 100k...sweetheart you exagerrated your salary so much that you just humiliated yourself. Is that what all students at UWS do?

You cannot honestly tell me that you earn over 100k within 3 years FROM UWS! you prob earn no more than 50k, 100k is something for qualified students with a minimum of 5-6 years experience in the field. Don't argue, you just made a fool out of yourself.

SeCKSiiMiNh

i'm a fireball in bed
HSC
I graduated UWS in 2006. I've become a marketing manager with a salary in the better half of 100k within the first 3 years of having graduated. I can say nothing bad about UWS, as its got me where I want to go.

What I cant understand is that:
1.People bag out TAFE, or say that TAFE is better than UWS etc etc etc. Honestly, you must understand TAFE and uni are different. TAFE is aimed at people who want to do trades and more applied practical work than uni offers. And before you can say that trades people are shit and TAFE leads to shit jobs, then a recent study shows that trades people are more content with their careers than people who went to uni. Most trades people earn more than people who went to uni anyway (not inc doctors/lawyers and the like).

2. One your in uni no one cares about ur ATAR (except if you wish to transfer). No employers care about your ATAR. All they care about is how educated you are in your field, your experiences and you as a person.

3. Those say people with ATAR's in the 50's/60's go to UWS, are shit etc etc etc...you do realise a lot of them get into UWS and then transfer to your "more prestigious unis". Regardless, they still got a ATAR of 50/60 whatever. I went to school with a guy who got an ATAR in the 30's, and ended up going to Mac after a year of tafe.

4. As its been mentioned, ATAR's are not a good indicator of success. It is a rank, not a mark. Your rank within an x amount of students at the time. Remember people do different subjects that have different scaling which affects the ATAR. People who choose subjects like arts, design etc are being penalised becuase they dont do chem, ext english etc...Doe snot mean they are any dumber, they just have different interests.

5. Are you really going to ask a lawyer/dr, "I want to know what ATAR you got before we proceed".

6. If anything is said about the teaching quality at UWS, you do realise that many teachers/lectures are USYD/UNSW etc graduates?

7. So what if so called "loosers" go to UWS. If they cant do the work, they wont be able to graduate, thus wont get good jobs. Their prob, not yours, why do you care?
i admire your sentiment, but i'll have to agree with the above poster. 100k sounds overly exaggerated. i also know of many who have graduated from uws with their bachelor degrees in accounting and stuff and after several years, they're working as bank tellers earning $19 an hour, or in retail sales earning 15 an hour.

And i don't think anyone was saying that atar is synonymous success. I just said in my earlier post that those i know who were lazy, sloppy, unorganised and intellectually challenged received atars in the 50's and 60's and are only going to uni for the sake of going to university and that uws is their only choice. I admit, that there are numerous others with wonderful atars who are going to uws, like several of my friends who are doing advance nursing etc.

Bananaberry

HSC
Within 3 years of graduating from UWS, you earnt over 100k...sweetheart you exagerrated your salary so much that you just humiliated yourself. Is that what all students at UWS do?

You cannot honestly tell me that you earn over 100k within 3 years FROM UWS! you prob earn no more than 50k, 100k is something for qualified students with a minimum of 5-6 years experience in the field. Don't argue, you just made a fool out of yourself.
Um, where did I say I made 100k. I said I have a salary in the better part of 100k - i.e, I make over 60k i.e the better part of 100k. To be exact my gross salary is around 70k.
You say 100k is something for qualified students with a minimum of 5-6 years of experience. While I dont make 100k,I do have 3 years of work experience post graduating, I have work experience I did while I was at uni, i.e 3 internships.

Bananaberry

HSC
i admire your sentiment, but i'll have to agree with the above poster. 100k sounds overly exaggerated. i also know of many who have graduated from uws with their bachelor degrees in accounting and stuff and after several years, they're working as bank tellers earning $19 an hour, or in retail sales earning 15 an hour.

And i don't think anyone was saying that atar is synonymous success. I just said in my earlier post that those i know who were lazy, sloppy, unorganised and intellectually challenged received atars in the 50's and 60's and are only going to uni for the sake of going to university and that uws is their only choice. I admit, that there are numerous others with wonderful atars who are going to uws, like several of my friends who are doing advance nursing etc.
Just as I know many graduates from UNSW/USYD etc who are still without jobs, especially in teaching, which is a national priority.

Last edited:

LatK7

HSC
The staff in the dept. of Computing and Maths who teach computer science units have had 10, 20, 30 and a few even 40 years of experience at USyd, UNSW and UTS. From what they've said, they've taken the program taught at their previous Uni's and implemented it at UWS.

I can only assume there are many other courses in the same situation.

So, *shock horror*, the courses at UWS would be pretty much exactly the same anywhere else.

So no, based on that i don't see how i could be ashamed of studying there.

HSC
Uni Grad
The staff in the dept. of Computing and Maths who teach computer science units have had 10, 20, 30 and a few even 40 years of experience at USyd, UNSW and UTS. From what they've said, they've taken the program taught at their previous Uni's and implemented it at UWS.

I can only assume there are many other courses in the same situation.

So, *shock horror*, the courses at UWS would be pretty much exactly the same anywhere else.

So no, based on that i don't see how i could be ashamed of studying there.
No one said the courses were shit, we're saying the students are shit.

LatK7

HSC
No one said the courses were shit, we're saying the students are shit.
Well my course in 2008 had a cut-off of 82 (or close to it). Usyd was 76, Mcq was roughly 77 and UNSW was higher 80's.

So i dunno, maybe all the shit students went to USyd? :p

LatK7

HSC
cbf'd reading the rest of this thread...but have you actually been there? And i will agree that in first semester you'll occasionally see the odd drop kick here and there, but they realise they can't cut it before census date =D

mamoz

HSC
cbf'd reading the rest of this thread...but have you actually been there? And i will agree that in first semester you'll occasionally see the odd drop kick here and there, but they realise they can't cut it before census date =D
dw he doesnt know what hes on about, hes onlyy in year 11. naaw still a lil kid :p

HSC
Uni Grad
I've been to the medical school, it's really pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)