Area of Study Section 3 Related Materials (1 Viewer)

Jakulore

HSC
Hey everyone!

I just wanted to know, given that it is the day before the exam, what related materials everyone is using for Paper 1 tomorrow? Additionally, do people think they will ask for one related material or two?

kashkow

HSC
I think I'm going to use 'Interstellar' By Christopher Nolan for my first related.

As a backup I may do an artwork or something.

wbu?

chiefpasco

HSC
I'm using a song lol.

Also, chances are unlikely, but the question could be a curveball and you might find a back up text handy.

Jakulore

HSC
I'm using 'Evangelion: 1.0 You are (Not) Alone' as my first related material (As I have written about it a lot in both Advanced and Extension) and for my Second I am using William Ernest Henley's 1888 poem 'Invictus' as my second related material.

If they ask for two related materials then I will use around 16 quotes (I can write around 9 pages in the 40 minutes) but if they ask for 1 I will probably use around 12 and I will put in some critical theory and psychoanalysis. :)

KingOfActing

lukewarm mess
HSC
I'm using as i think i am by Vi Hart, and I've also got Shackleton by Paul Jarman prepared.

the_runic

HSC
Inside Out from Pixar or The Alchemyst by Michael Scott. (If you are who I think you are, thanks for recommending it to me all the way back in Year 7!)

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know why some HSC students are very conspiracy theory minded and think Board of Studies wants to await for when they fail or something with 'curveball essay questions'. The matter of fact is, if you have prepared adequately no question should be curveball because they are testing your adaptation skills and depth of understanding of a module/topic. Also curveball is EXTREMELY UNLIKELY in Area of Study-because both standard and advanced does it-the Board is not going to make half the 50/60000 students who do their HSC students tomorrow to fail just because they feel like it. If curveball ever happens, it is more likely in trials to be honest when schools have more discretion of what to put in and want to make it harder than the actual HSC, and much more likely in harder English modules/Extension One English exams where the Board expects a much deeper understanding of texts

Asking for two related text is NOT CURVEBALL, it might be unexpected, but curveball is when the essay question is very niche/hard, which is different from if people only prepared one text knowing they could FULL WELL ask for two. The Board wants to see students succeed-and it might be hard to believe it, but it is actually true. I know there will be many people disagreeing with my anti-conspiracy theory attitude, but the more conspiracy minded people are, the less likely they are going to be able to engage with the actual question because they already have the 'I am doomed attitude' which is not going to do anybody any good.

Note: I am not targeting ANY PARTICULAR HSC students but rather commenting on the general mentality of a lot of HSC students in general-so DON'T TAKE MY COMMENTS PERSONALLY BECAUSE I PROBABLY DON'T KNOW YOU, so I have no reason/foundation to attack you personally in the first place. I just want to support students and make you guys know that people want you guys to succeed, not fail. Think the best of people rather than the worst-I know the Board being this overarching organisation that most people don't connect with, but it is still within your power to think the best of them and do yourself a favour and stop scaring yourself on highly speculative potential HSC scenarios.

Last edited:

mqixdjexx

HSC
N/A
Is it alright if both my related texts are the same text type? My prescribed is a play and I wanted to do two speeches as my related. Is this ok?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)