Around what rank schools are closest to HSC Percentile (1 Viewer)

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
Hey,

Weird question, but hopefully someone knows. So say if you're in James Ruse and you're ranked 50/100, meaning your percentile is 50. Compared to the state percentile, obviously the percentile would be much higher as James Ruse is a top ranked school so rank 50 is pretty good.

So I was wondering, around what rank schools have the closest percentiles to the state percentiles? Another example, say 50th percentile of a Rank 200 school, after your HSC results and all that stuff, would you be around the 50th percentile, higher, lower? Probably a dumb question but just want to know :haha:

bouncing

HSC
Hey,

Weird question, but hopefully someone knows. So say if you're in James Ruse and you're ranked 50/100, meaning your percentile is 50. Compared to the state percentile, obviously the percentile would be much higher as James Ruse is a top ranked school so rank 50 is pretty good.

So I was wondering, around what rank schools have the closest percentiles to the state percentiles? Another example, say 50th percentile of a Rank 200 school, after your HSC results and all that stuff, would you be around the 50th percentile, higher, lower? Probably a dumb question but just want to know :haha:
whats the average atar across teh state?

BeeemER

HSC
I kinda get what your asking but wateva.

Internally competition is between you and your classmates.

Externally your against the state. When BOS gets everyone's marks they assign band cut-off's n shit, that way everyone is separated based on the HSC exam and given an HSC mark.

Now they look at you and your classmates. The highest mark achieved by your school cohort will go to the guy ranked 1st even if he didn't get that mark in the HSC exam.

For example this is what happened in my school.

In MX1 I was ranked 2nd internally. In the HSC exam I got 94 which was the highest mark within the school. She got 92 so our report card looked like this.

HER:

Internal: 94 HSC: 92 Final: 93

ME:

Internal: 92 HSC: 94 Final: 93

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC
Haha thanks for the replies. A dumb question but its kind of misleading. I mean like...sort of a guide, doesn't have to be super accurate like for example:

Rank 1-5 School, Last Internally = P90 Externally
Rank 50 School, Last Internally = P80 Externally
Rank 100 School, Last Internally = P65 Externally
Rank 300 School, Last Internally = P30 Externally

Those numbers I put are just random. Here is another example:

Someone in a rank 150 school, is rank... 20/60 in a subject, meaning their percentile (internally) is about P70. Let's say they are consistent and receive an exam mark which reflects on how they have been performing all year (no flukes). What would their percentile now be, externally, compared to the state? Would it be higher or lower than P70?

Replace the rank 150 school with any number and use this example... obviously it would vary greatly (As P70 in James Ruse =/= P70 in a rank 600 school). So I was wondering what rank schools has the closest 1:1 ratio of Internal Percentiles:External Percentiles

If you get what I mean... :p

Last edited:

beardedwoman

HSC
I don't think you should worry about this, just let the UAC handle it.

Plus its hard to say anyway, but if you're in the top 50% of James Ruse, you are, without a doubt, in the 99 percentile in the state. Also wasn't there someone in JR who get <70.

If I had to guess, a person in the 50th percentile in a school rank 200~ consistently would receive an ATAR of about 70-80 imo. so 70th - 80th percentile in the state?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
A school's ranking > 100 would habe their ranking change quite a lot each year so it would be pretty hard to tell.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
whats the average atar across teh state?

lol i dont mean to make you sound stupid :p, but i would think it would be 50 ( as obviously half get over 50, half get under 50, they balance each other out)

BeeemER

HSC
lol i dont mean to make you sound stupid :p, but i would think it would be 50 ( as obviously half get over 50, half get under 50, they balance each other out)

No it wouldn't. In 08 it was about 62 and probably always around there.

HSC
Uni Grad
Average was 70.25 or something in 09

This is a strange yet very interesting question.

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Impossible to know. It is way too varied. Shouldn't worry about it. Changes from year to year, etc.

Also 70.25 oh man

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
but i would think it would be 50
Not really. Remember, people who drop out are still included in the tallying, boosting the average ranking up.

BeeemER

HSC
But if you get a UAI of 95 that means your in the top 5th percentile right?

bored of sc

HSC
2009 School Ranking: approximately 190
NSW ATAR: 94.65

My individual rank at my school was 5th out of approximately 100 students i.e. I got the 5th highest ATAR. This put me in the 95th percentile at my school and approximately the 90th percentile in the state.

Hope this helps you figure out any relationships between school percentiles and ATARs.

Makdadddy

makdaddy.net
HSC

My individual rank at my school was 5th out of approximately 100 students i.e. I got the 5th highest ATAR. This put me in the 95th percentile at my school and approximately the 90th percentile in the state.

Hope this helps you figure out any relationships between school percentiles and ATARs.
Hi thanks for your reply. However, I am more interested in the relationship between actual subject percentiles internally and HSC Mark percentiles.

What was your percentile for each subject and how did it compare to the percentile of that subject in the state?
Eg. for maths let's say you were rank 5/20 = 75th Percentile
The 75th percentile in the state would have gotten a HSC Mark of about 85-86. Since you were in a school which was ranked about 200, what was your HSC Mark?

arcticdbk

HSC
N/A

Out of curiosity, what marks did you get for each subject?

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Hi thanks for your reply. However, I am more interested in the relationship between actual subject percentiles internally and HSC Mark percentiles.

What was your percentile for each subject and how did it compare to the percentile of that subject in the state?
Eg. for maths let's say you were rank 5/20 = 75th Percentile
The 75th percentile in the state would have gotten a HSC Mark of about 85-86. Since you were in a school which was ranked about 200, what was your HSC Mark?
Pretty much impossible to work out as each school will fluctuate in rank and cohort vastly each year, unless you go to ruse or something like that.
Stop worrying about something that no one will be able to give you a proper answer to and go and study.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)