Arts students - what are you doing? (1 Viewer)

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
Similarly, a question to the Arts kiddies. Do you know where you're going with your degree? Cos I sure as hell don't :|

I was thinking of going for a PhD in Japanese, but my Japanese is mediocre at best (high CR average) so I might have to forget that plan :/

get_born

im lost totally - but a friend wants to get into art and then jewlery making

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I'm lost too. I'm going back to my Arts Degree next year and so far, I'm clueless. I've always wanted to do something in the media industry and use my journalism diploma from last year, but I also wouldn't mind going into teaching either. And on another hand, my boyfriend has asked me to start doing some internet design work, so I'm interested in that too.

Who knows.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I'm majoring in history. Where I'll go after I graduate, I have no idea. But I know for certain I'll be a history major, with particular focus on european history. It's the only subject I'm really passionate about.

If I get into honours for my media core, then great. But I'm not all that enthusiastic about the thought of a 4th year of media. I don't feel as though I have a natural 'talent' for it, although my marks have been consistently good.

If I could take history honours, even go for a PhD, I would. I've already been encouraged by the history department to do so. However I'm not sure if my degree allows for it.

HSC
babydoll_ said:
Similarly, a question to the Arts kiddies. Do you know where you're going with your degree? Cos I sure as hell don't :|

I was thinking of going for a PhD in Japanese, but my Japanese is mediocre at best (high CR average) so I might have to forget that plan :/
I'm not doing anything with my degree. I suspect i'll transfer to something like literature in 3rd year and then end up being an English teacher.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Heritage Studies and History/Anthropology, or I might just drop it. It's my Science degree that 'matters'.

X

xeuyrawp

babydoll_ said:

Well I guess I'm an arts student :p

May I ask how one does a PhD in Japanese- don't you have to dissert about something culturally-related, as well as have done a dissertation in your honours/masters?

Well I'm a bit more certain, I'm majoring in Egyptology and historiography (which is the study of historical meaning and how history operates) and will probably do my thesis in a combination of the two.

I wouldn't minds end up doing a doctorate straight after that, as I think I'd have a good chance in getting a fellow grant either here, Germany, or America. (I won't be pretentious enough to mention the 'R' word...)

It was my initial intention to go to the bar, but I'm loving history too much and have kinda decided to sus out law as a kind of backup, but I'm sure I'll end up teaching at uni :)

Last edited by a moderator:

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
PwarYuex said:
I'm majoring in Egyptology and historiography (which is the study of historical meaning and how history operates) and will probably do my thesis in a combination of the two.

I wouldn't minds end up doing a doctorate straight after that, as I think I'd have a good chance in getting a fellow grant either here, Germany, or America. (I won't be pretentious enough to mention the 'R' word...)
Can I just say how impressed I am at how much thought and certainty you have at this relatively early stage of your degree! Seriously - much respect :)

I am now in the third year of my BA/LLB at USyd and I still have no idea of what area my hist hons will be in ... The problem is that I have done so many, many history courses in so many different areas that I simply can't choose an specific area. In fact, right now I *should* :rolleyes: be doing both my Holocaust history readings and my readings on the impact, in terms of American national identity, of the 19th cent. immigration influx into the country. I ask you - how to combine such disparate threads into an effective honours programme! :)

O dynamic history department - how your diversity does vex me so!!

X

xeuyrawp

ManlyChief said:
Can I just say how impressed I am at how much thought and certainty you have at this relatively early stage of your degree! Seriously - much respect :)

I am now in the third year of my BA/LLB at USyd and I still have no idea of what area my hist hons will be in ... The problem is that I have done so many, many history courses in so many different areas that I simply can't choose an specific area. In fact, right now I *should* :rolleyes: be doing both my Holocaust history readings and my readings on the impact, in terms of American national identity, of the 19th cent. immigration influx into the country. I ask you - how to combine such disparate threads into an effective honours programme! :)

O dynamic history department - how your diversity does vex me so!!
Have you done the lovely Classics?

X

xeuyrawp

Asquithian said:
Stop flirting with him :p
ahahha wtf asqy?

I didn't even know it was a him, so I can assure you I wasn't flirting.

I was just asking if he's partaken my nemesis- The Classical Ages.

Comrade nathan

HSC
natstar said:
Anyone do cultural/society studies? I'm planning on doing 2 arts units as electives next year cuz i think they would compliment my marketing degree- Contemporary Popular Culture and Consumer Culture
Im majoring in Anthropolgy/Sociology.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Umm journalism lol.

But I am thinking of studying something like law or international relations when I finish my journalism degree.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Yeah I did two subjects called "contemporary cultures 1" and "contemporary cultures 2" in first year.

I found them interesting in some ways, but be prepared for the airy fairyness- cultural studies is very airy fairy with no concrete answers and most things revolve around the "so what do you think" question. A lot of our tutes involved large scale arguments about different views on certain things- but I found it interesting. Think HSC English on a larger scale in terms of breaking down and analyzing the meanings of their texts and the impact of different contexts, but also adding cultural theory to see different perspectives and trends. The consumer culture one sounds like it will be a bit more focused, but they should be good. Also often in cultural studies they encourage you to experiment a little with your writing style (such as writing fictocriticism etc) and they are often quite open to new ideas etc.

I enjoyed cultural studies, but don't go in expecting them to be like "you need to learn this this and this for the end of the semester, and we will then have a test on Roland Barthes theory of photography", it's more like "today we will be discussing photography, in the readings there were some interesting articles.... here are some cool photos.... so what do you think" then debate ensues. Fun times.

ManlyChief

Manly: 7 miles from Sydney, 1000 miles from care
HSC
PwarYuex said:
Have you done the lovely Classics?
A little. But it was many, many moons ago. But every now and then I do like to bring out the odd bit of Latin or (on the rare occasions that I remember any) some of my *almost non-existent* Classical Greek. It usually trumps those philistines who poo-poo arts degrees :)

As the crazy lady who used to live next to me used to shout out across the fence: Antiquis temporibus, nati tibi similes in rupibus ventosissimis exponebantur ad necem! [In the good old days, kids like you were left to rot on wind-swept crags.] Neighbours - everybody needs good neighbours. But bear in mind, Frost's caveat: 'good fences make good neighbours'.

Dear me, off tangent once again ... I really *should* be getting back to structure and agency in the Holocaust ... ... :rolleyes:

Hugs to you all :cool:

chookyn

poulet de montagne
HSC
Visual Communication. However, i would also love studying almost anything in the humanities, particularly geography, history and religion. Such background knowledge would be a good reference point for designing. I guess i'm just an arts person. :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Loz#1 said:
I'm lost too. I'm going back to my Arts Degree next year and so far, I'm clueless. I've always wanted to do something in the media industry and use my journalism diploma from last year, but I also wouldn't mind going into teaching either. And on another hand, my boyfriend has asked me to start doing some internet design work, so I'm interested in that too.

Who knows.
*cough b media in multimedia cough*

HSC
braindrainedAsh said:
Yeah I did two subjects called "contemporary cultures 1" and "contemporary cultures 2" in first year.

I found them interesting in some ways, but be prepared for the airy fairyness- cultural studies is very airy fairy with no concrete answers and most things revolve around the "so what do you think" question. A lot of our tutes involved large scale arguments about different views on certain things- but I found it interesting. Think HSC English on a larger scale in terms of breaking down and analyzing the meanings of their texts and the impact of different contexts, but also adding cultural theory to see different perspectives and trends. The consumer culture one sounds like it will be a bit more focused, but they should be good. Also often in cultural studies they encourage you to experiment a little with your writing style (such as writing fictocriticism etc) and they are often quite open to new ideas etc.

I enjoyed cultural studies, but don't go in expecting them to be like "you need to learn this this and this for the end of the semester, and we will then have a test on Roland Barthes theory of photography", it's more like "today we will be discussing photography, in the readings there were some interesting articles.... here are some cool photos.... so what do you think" then debate ensues. Fun times.
I am sort of enjoying CC1 and CC2 but they're so... open to interpretation and idiocy.
You know what i mean? The teachers keep encouraging us to not just stick with essays, but i still look at something like photojournalism and think its not a 'serious' project.

How good was fictocriticism?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
natstar said:
Do you do much group work in Arts subjects. I dont see really how you can. I know essays would be a big part.
Research assignments and presentations?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)