assignments due already! wtf! (1 Viewer)

HSC
hey,

i've only been to the uni for like 2 weeks and i already have sum assignments due next week.

lol, any other first years with a similar situation as me?

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
welcome to uni? :s

it was like that for hsc

Peartie

HSC
I have 2 due in the next week....

its uni mate - it gets worse....

Bainesy

HSC
notice how the people with assignments go to macquarie ;)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
notice how the people with assignments go to macquarie ;)
Holy shit batman! People from Macquarie in the Macquarie forum replying about having assignments due?! More at 6.

Bainesy

HSC
thats because we've already been @ uni 2 weeks unlike other unis who are only starting last week/this week...
my point exactly

although you guys would finish the semester earlier then, right?

HSC
hey..

i was gonna make a different thread for this question i have, but i just chose to put it here..

yeah apparently i have to like submit one of my assignments to this thing called turnitin, sum anti-plagiarism software or something...

my question is, what if i used someone else's idea (eg. a paragraph which i put into my own words), referenced where i got my source and submitted my assignment to turnitin...will turnitin detect this as plagiarism even though i referenced where i got my source for that particular paragraph i used? i dont really get it.

tbh i think macq is too overrated with these type of things... and its F*&^*%$ annoying.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hey..

i was gonna make a different thread for this question i have, but i just chose to put it here..

yeah apparently i have to like submit one of my assignments to this thing called turnitin, sum anti-plagiarism software or something...

my question is, what if i used someone else's idea (eg. a paragraph which i put into my own words), referenced where i got my source and submitted my assignment to turnitin...will turnitin detect this as plagiarism even though i referenced where i got my source for that particular paragraph i used? i dont really get it.

tbh i think macq is too overrated with these type of things... and its F*&^*%$ annoying.
"Overrated", think you mean over-zealous or something similar.

Plaigarism is a big thing, being able to write reports and have them academically sound is one of the skills you'll be developing as part of a university degree. Get used to it.

I'm not sure how the algorithm actually works, and that's part of the reason they use the software I gather so you can't 'play' it, but if you reference an idea, it should be safe, as long as your use of references is correct.

Macquarie University Library - Ready Reference Find the style you're using and have a good read.

Peartie

HSC
my point exactly

although you guys would finish the semester earlier then, right?
We finish the semester 5th June and exams on 18th June - I dont know if thats earlier or not...

hey..

I had to use it turnitin before

basically when i wrote something like "the fall of the Berlin Wall" since other people had written it it will get picked up on Turnitin as having been used before. Also, the majority of my bibliography got highlighted as "plagerised" because other people who had handed in assingments on turnitin had used the same sources.

Basically if you have referenced everything fine it will be ok. THe marker doesn't just look at the percentage and see 25% and say well obviously thats a FAIL....they will look at the percentage then what has been highlighted on turnitin and compare it to what turnitin says its plagerised from.

The software gives the marker not only what it says is plagerised but also the section of work which it claims its plagerised from.

Hope that helps you and eases your worries....if the lecturer has opened it up for more than one submittal you are actually able to see what it says you're plagerising as well...

spence

HSC
hey..

You'll be fine as long as you reference everything.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Just a question, how would you reference sources within a course notes booklet put together by the uni? do you reference the actual source or the course notes booklet, or both of them in some tricky way? (this is for a bibliography, not internal referencing)

Peartie

HSC
refrence as per normal - you might have gone out and found the book...

or you could say blah blah blah found in HIST101 Course notes page 33

kevinant

HSC
yea, there are more assignments , less tests than the HSC
i have 2 assignmnts/1 midsemester next friday.

Alvik

HSC
I have a test and two assignments due next week

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)