Assumed knowledge for UTS? (1 Viewer)

FrozenSky

HSC
Sorry, I know i should be posting this in the science faculty, but i thought if i posted here i would get more attention + quicker reply

For b Science and business they both required 2u maths as assumed knowledge, but i've dropped 2u...

1) How hard is the maths in b Science? I heard from some ppl say that it's as hard as 3u~4u

2) How hard is the maths in B business?

3) Does bridging courses really work? Do they really cover all the mathematical skills i require for both those courses? And how long do i need to spend on these courses and what level of maths is it?

Thanks.

Incase you guys are wondering i want to do B medical sci & B business or B sci & B business @ UTS

Last edited:

Chibios

is totally a-MUSE-d!
HSC
Hello,

I can't speak much for the science bit but I can help with the business bit.

Maths knowledge varies from subject to subject, like you'll have some subjects which require 2-3 unit knowledge like Quantitative Business Analysis and Business Statistics and some which require NO maths knowledge like the Managing People and Organisations.

If you're coming from doing no maths in high school, you may find some of the maths absolutely 'wtf' worthy, but bridging courses should help with that. It will probably be hard at first, but you can get used to it. I have a friends who didn't do maths for HSC and she's doing fine. It depends on how much effort you put into it.

Hope this helps :)

FrozenSky

HSC
Hello,

I can't speak much for the science bit but I can help with the business bit.

Maths knowledge varies from subject to subject, like you'll have some subjects which require 2-3 unit knowledge like Quantitative Business Analysis and Business Statistics and some which require NO maths knowledge like the Managing People and Organisations.

If you're coming from doing no maths in high school, you may find some of the maths absolutely 'wtf' worthy, but bridging courses should help with that. It will probably be hard at first, but you can get used to it. I have a friends who didn't do maths for HSC and she's doing fine. It depends on how much effort you put into it.

Hope this helps :)
mm yeah that helped a bit :)
I was wondering how long would i need to spend on these bridging courses. Because in hsc they spend 2 years doing 3u, im kind of skeptical about completing 3u~2u maths before uni starts...

princess_neko

HSC
I know that for QBA, they hold free classes for people who have weak Maths background..

squeenie

And goodness knows...
HSC
For the medical science major, you don't really need maths at all, you can get by without a bridging course.

FrozenSky

HSC
For the medical science major, you don't really need maths at all, you can get by without a bridging course.
So if i get into B med sci & B business i wouldn't need 2u level of mathematical skills for med sci?
Where as B sci i would require maths?

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
I think you need atleast 2-3u of math for med science because of physic... I did physic at uts with only gen math and struggle really bad... but stat was simple because it was all in general math..

Math in business is pretty simple but i dont know... finance seem advance but i probably do well...

IMO: ignore math and bridge chemistry... heard the fail rate for chemistry is really high..

FrozenSky

HSC
I think you need atleast 2-3u of math for med science because of physic... I did physic at uts with only gen math and struggle really bad... but stat was simple because it was all in general math..

Math in business is pretty simple but i dont know... finance seem advance but i probably do well...

IMO: ignore math and bridge chemistry... heard the fail rate for chemistry is really high..
Can't i do two bridging courses? One for chem and one for Maths? I'm hoping to finish all of this during the 5 month break

FrozenSky

HSC
Hehe you can

Chem run on Jan/Feb in USYD : Bridging courses - Domestic undergraduate - The University of Sydney

(Did it 2 years ago in Jan, cost me around $300)

Math run in Feb in UTS

UTS Short Courses

UNSW:

UNSW: The University of New South Wales - Sydney Australia - FUTURE STUDENTS

(Jan - Feb i heard but go give them a ring)
Ohhh thank you very much ;D
Just one more question, how long do i actually need to stay in these bridging courses for me to be up to date with my peers?

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
IMHO: Just study 2hr a day for a month or 2 after bridging course :D...

You be ready

HSC
For first year science, they do use 2/3u maths. They explain it to you as you go anyway so without a bridging course you'd be fine. (I suck at maths so I was shit at physics anyway and i did 3u course :p)

As for chemistry, Chemistry 1 is pretty much hsc chemistry so was a LOT easier for me then it was for some of my friends. A bridging course would definately come in handy if you want a better chance of passing and with most science based concepts, once you've learnt it you remember that stuff forever and you need that basis for later on anyway though again if you put the effort in during semester and use the textbook (which is really useful btw) it's not that difficult.

So I agree that chemistry would be more useful as a bridging course then the maths if you don't want to be too overwhelmed. At the time it did seem like they went through the material pretty fast for people without chemistry knowledge.

HSC
...and to answer the question properly, I don't think you need to do a bridging course for maths unless you really struggled with it in high school, in which case it wouldn't do any harm. It's good practise to what it'd be like in physics though its all explained in the course and i didn't relate it much to HS as much as chemistry.

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Forgot to add, you DON'T need to go to a brdging course to "learn" you can go grab year 11-12 HSC textbook (borrow, steal, flirt with teacher w/e) and just self learn it...

Chemistry is pretty easy to learn.. there alot on internet

This is USYD bridging course note for math i think : http://www.chemlab.chem.usyd.edu.au/bridging/mathsrevisionnotesF.pdf

and chem note: School of Chemistry - Bridging Course Handbook
(Use uni textbook to help you with this too to make it interesting and understand the whole uni language)

FrozenSky

HSC
...and to answer the question properly, I don't think you need to do a bridging course for maths unless you really struggled with it in high school, in which case it wouldn't do any harm. It's good practise to what it'd be like in physics though its all explained in the course and i didn't relate it much to HS as much as chemistry.
Well i'm not completely fail at maths that i don't understand anything, but i dont 2u... I'm just kind of scared they will use like calculus integrations and all those stuffs from 2u which i have no knowledge of...
However, if it's something completely new like a formula and they teach me how to use it, i'm sure i can cope

So my question is, i don't require any 2u knowledge? Just the capability of doing 2u right? And for anyone who does business, do i require knowledge form 2u like calculus and stuff? Because it seems like you would need to know these stuff in financial statistics

And for chemistry, everyone is suggesting me to do it, so i'll do a bridging course for chemistry for sure

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
Well i'm not completely fail at maths that i don't understand anything, but i dont 2u... I'm just kind of scared they will use like calculus integrations and all those stuffs from 2u which i have no knowledge of...
However, if it's something completely new like a formula and they teach me how to use it, i'm sure i can cope

So my question is, i don't require any 2u knowledge? Just the capability of doing 2u right? And for anyone who does business, do i require knowledge form 2u like calculus and stuff? Because it seems like you would need to know these stuff in financial statistics

And for chemistry, everyone is suggesting me to do it, so i'll do a bridging course for chemistry for sure
Rather then giving your money to uni... how about i or my bestfriend (really really cute) to tutor u for the fee you gonna pay the uni? hehe

FrozenSky

HSC
Rather then giving your money to uni... how about i or my bestfriend (really really cute) to tutor u for the fee you gonna pay the uni? hehe
As in one on one tutor o_O?
Beside there's a long way until i go to uni, im only around half way into hsc. And im not 100% sure i'll get into the b med & b business course @ uts x.x

zehurricane

Capitalism, Ho!
HSC
As in one on one tutor o_O?
Beside there's a long way until i go to uni, im only around half way into hsc. And im not 100% sure i'll get into the b med & b business course @ uts x.x
IMHO do business rather then science.... science in Australia SUCK....

I know alot of people doing med science for Med but ALOT of them fail to get it and found out life after a science degree suck..

http://community.boredofstudies.org...7510/outcomes-studying-science-australia.html

Go engineering or something... especially if your in chemistry (Chem Engineering) etc...

Also, if you gonna go down the science trek... go Chemistry major... ALOT of job opportunity..

FrozenSky

HSC
IMHO do business rather then science.... science in Australia SUCK....

I know alot of people doing med science for Med but ALOT of them fail to get it and found out life after a science degree suck..

http://community.boredofstudies.org...7510/outcomes-studying-science-australia.html

Go engineering or something... especially if your in chemistry (Chem Engineering) etc...

Also, if you gonna go down the science trek... go Chemistry major... ALOT of job opportunity..
Wow after reading that i'm starting to reconsider my courses again :/ But for B science can't i major financial statistics or something (i vaguely rem seeing that as a major in B of science)? So can't i do a double degree with science and business? Major financial statistics in science and then in business i can major something else, so in the end everything relates back to commerce and i have a wider range of skills.
I don't do chem at highschool so i have no idea what it is like, how about biotechnology is that any good?
And knowing that i have no yr 12 mathematic background, i'll doubt i'll be able to do engineering ._.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)